Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

8 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

@vc2002  I just wonder who that guy in your Avatar is. Is it James Cameron...???

Obviously you're not a golfer.

It's one of the greatest dipshit characters in cinema history. From one of the greatest Christmas movies ever Die Hard.

Edited by vc2002

More news this time from Stephen Lang, the sequels will not shy away from politics.

https://screenrant.com/stephen-lang-avatar-movie-sequels-political/

Stephen Lang says that James Cameron's Avatar sequels will very much have "political parallels" to events in the real world. The original Avatar didn't exactly shy away from politics either, with its story about humans exploiting the alien moon Pandora and waging war against its native population, the Na'vi. Cameron's movie was also a monster hit at the box office that grossed a record-obliterating $2.79 billion in theaters around the globe, thanks to its then-cutting edge blend of CGI, motion-capture, and 3D filmmaking techniques.

It took eight years, but Cameron's Avatar sequels (Avatar 2 and 3, anyway) finally began shooting last year. Plot details are still being kept mostly under wraps at this point, but it has been confirmed that the sequels will focus in no small amount on now fulltime-Na'vi Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) and Neytiri (Zoe Saldana), as well as Jake and Neytiri's still-young offspring. Cameron has further suggested that the Avatar sequels, like their predecessor, will dive into timely political issues - much like what Lang told us on the set of the film Mortal Engines.

Despite the character's apparent death in the first Avatar, Lang is reprising his role as the hard-edged, heavily-scarred Colonel Miles Quaritch in Cameron's upcoming sequels. While Lang is (naturally) staying tight-lipped about how, exactly, Quaritch returns from the dead, he hasn't refrained from hyping the Avatar sequels' underwater settings and bigger scope, among other things. He also had this to say on the Mortal Engines set last year, when Screen Rant asked him about the Avatar sequels' political overtones.

"It kind of goes with the territory that journalists will and should kind of find the - draw political parallels from anything. They certainly will with Avatar. There's no question about that. And I think with this one, you know, absolutely."

It stands to reason that humankind won't be done trying to claim Pandora's resources by the time the Avatar sequels pick up, even after their defeat (or, rather, forced withdrawal from the moon) at the end of the first movie. Cameron has further indicated that Quaritch will serve as the main villain throughout all four Avatar sequels, signaling that for him the mission to retake Pandora will be personal as much as anything else. At the same time though, the director has dropped hints about Quaritch's arc in the films, suggesting that he might not be as clear-cut a bad guy this time around.

Either way, it will be interesting to see if the Avatar sequels draw any clear parallels between Quaritch and certain people in the real world, in the way that Lang suggested. The Quaritch character may indeed prove to be central to how the films build on the original Avatar's environmental concerns, along with its metaphors about the exploitation of indigenous populations in human history. Considering that Avatar has long been criticized for taking a heavy-handed and regressive approach to those topics, one just hopes the sequels are a bit smarter about how they go about tackling the same issues.

• Like 1

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/05/ray-dalio-james-cameron-launch-oceanx.html

Well Ray Dalio is making OceanX and Jim is a consultant for it... bet he can't wait to finish the Avatar sequels and come it's poster boy. Hope for Jim's sake that it gets a big following.

3 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

JC movies have always been political, it's just he happens to make great fucking films to back them up so people don't care. As long as there isn't some obvious DRUMPF stand-in I'll be happy.

Jake Sully not allowed to get a visa to the sea tribe clan as he is a...

wait for it...

illegal alien

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

5 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

JC movies have always been political, it's just he happens to make great fucking films to back them up so people don't care. As long as there isn't some obvious DRUMPF stand-in I'll be happy.

Agreed, I want these to be epics for the ages, not make references that will be outdated in 8 years. 

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Gavin I may be misremembering but didn't you watch it in cinema already this year?

watched it in Beijing Film Festival this April. Shanghai Film Festival will also hold Avatar screenings this month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/05/ray-dalio-james-cameron-launch-oceanx.html

Well Ray Dalio is making OceanX and Jim is a consultant for it... bet he can't wait to finish the Avatar sequels and come it's poster boy. Hope for Jim's sake that it gets a big following.

Jake Sully not allowed to get a visa to the sea tribe clan as he is a...

wait for it...

illegal alien

I would almost guarantee that Jake not being 100% pure Navi will be a factor for some tribes or even members of his clan in the sequels. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

I would almost guarantee that Jake not being 100% pure Navi will be a factor for some tribes or even members of his clan in the sequels. 

Agreed.

It was a problem for the first two thirds of Avatar so why would the other tribes give him a pass.

It would be VERY strange if no one had a problem with Jake being from the warring alien race

• Like 4

On 6/5/2018 at 12:10 AM, JamesCameronScholar said:

This is actually a great example, I wonder if there are any reverse examples e.g. great scientists who were also great artists. Of course there is da Vinci...

Albert Einstein was a violin virtuoso and credited Mozart for inspiring him the theory of relativity.

Speaking of artists who possessed science-minded credentials, the Hollywood sex symbol Hedy Lamarr created many inventions during her spare time including the ancestor of WIFI transmission once rejected by the US army then re-discovered decades after and properly recognized as a scientific breakthrough in 1997.(It appeared that her patent was used to build technology during Vietnam War).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Bingo.

His films always have political subtext, but his technical craft and filmmaking skills, as well as his storytelling prowess, are so flawless, that audiences don't care. It's that simple.

At the end of the day, he makes solid films, and audiences are simply entertained by them, overlooking any political stuff. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

Yep, most natural plot development direction ever.

2 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Yep, most natural plot development direction ever.

It was a major plot point in Avatar 1, it would be a bit ham-fisted and a retread to make it the nexus of Avatar 2. I can see it being part of the plot but I'm hoping it's not a central component. How does he prove himself this time, instead of taming a super-bird he tames a super-whale? It'll all depend on how it's rolled into the story. I have the utmost confidence in JC and his writing team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevenG said:

Bingo.

His films always have political subtext, but his technical craft and filmmaking skills, as well as his storytelling prowess, are so flawless, that audiences don't care. It's that simple.

At the end of the day, he makes solid films, and audiences are simply entertained by them, overlooking any political stuff. 

He's such a masterful storyteller people embrace his political themes in his movies. Avatar may not have made people vote for the Green Party, but I bet you people walked out more in tune with mother earth than they did walking in. 

And even then, it's not like he doesn't catch flack (his recent two movies don't even crack 90% on RT, compare that to the kid glove treatment so many mediocre movies get), it's just his movies are so good audiences don't care (like how The Greatest Showman simply bypassed all the gatekeepers). Weirdly, the flack seems to come more from the left, with Avatar on blast as a "white savior" story, despite the story being an archetype that crosses racial boundaries, and doing more for environmentalism than the next 10 top environmental movies put together. Something something forest and trees. 😁 And whatever the hell this Titanic criticism is supposed to be - https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2012/04/tita-a04.html

Edited by Pure Spirit
grammar
  • Like 3

Flight of Passage with rider reaction while it's happening lol!!! watch in 1080HD - hope this guy is not in my theatre for Avatar II. 

Edited by Deuce66
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Flight of Passage with rider reaction while it's happening lol!!! watch in 1080HD - hope this guy is not in my theatre for Avatar II. 

It's amazing how good that is, just seeing the camrip is an experience.