Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

12 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

The merger with Disney is a factor, Landau didn't rule out the possibility of re-releasing Avatar for a very short run, obviously one that won't interfere with Star Wars, Marvel or Pixar product Disney might have planned. I wouldn't be surprised if they included a little preview as a lure for fans to see the movie again on the big screen. 

An Avatar re-release isn't like to make much anyway, certainly not enough to interfere with Marvel, Pixar, and SW.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p06zfdwr/movies-with-ali-plumb-james-cameron-movies-that-made-me

38 minutes with Jim!! This link prob only works for UK so check youtube for re-upload

7 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I wouldn't mind those titles, they don't sound bad to me, not that titles matter a great deal either.

Speaking of that, this really reminded me the incredibly off-putting attitude the screen-junkie guys put on about these sequel names, they basically laughed it off and implied (as they did many times before) that Avatar sequels are completely unimportant and no one should pay any attention to them. I remember being pretty annoyed when watching it, they are getting to the topic at around 17:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9S_Dil1cPA

I'll watch that clip every month once... by they're going to eat those words

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

No final decisions have been made yet.....good  

James Cameron is spilling the beans!

ET’s Ashley Crossan spoke with the directing and producing legend at the L.A. premiere for Alita: Battle Angel on Tuesday, where he was asked to discuss the four titles for the upcoming installments in the Avatar franchise, which seemingly leaked last year.

“I can neither confirm nor deny,” the Oscar winner first stated, but when pressed, he followed up by stating, “All right, here’s what I’ll tell ya. Those titles are among titles that are in consideration. And no final decisions have been made yet.”

The possible titles include Avatar: The Way of Water, Avatar: The Seed Bearer, Avatar: The Tulkun Rider and Avatar: The Quest for Eywa, per BBC News.

This is good!

Apparently, Avatar Land is super popular and you just know, that when the first trailer drops, people are going to lose their shit. I guess it could hit 500-600 M in China alone but I'm not sure it can touch Avatar's total WW, it's been such a long time, but it being Avatar and Jim, I'm sure it'll do 2 billion plus minimum per film

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Apparently, Avatar Land is super popular and you just know, that when the first trailer drops, people are going to lose their shit. I guess it could hit 500-600 M in China alone but I'm not sure it can touch Avatar's total WW, it's been such a long time, but it being Avatar and Jim, I'm sure it'll do 2 billion plus minimum per film

seems like your floor would make Jim have the 6 highest grossing films of all time under his belt.

50 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

seems like your floor would make Jim have the 6 highest grossing films of all time under his belt.

I think so yeah. I can't help but feel there's no way the second film doesn't decrease from the original, it may be Avatar and Jim, and then China will make up for the markets decreasing but it's been so long and sequels just often decrease. But once again, it's Jim, it's Avatar, who knows. The folks believing these are not gonna perform are completely stupid though

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I see it making a billion in China. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I see it making a billion in China. 

New records domestically .

I feel with 4dx and other things allowing cameron to shine ans him pushing the envelope beyond Avatar..China and Japan are going to post 1.3-1.4 billion

Between them..

Imagine Avatar 2 makes Aquaman to Cap 3 we numbers domestically ontop of new landmark totals in SK, Japan and China...

KAL-El  of Bom2006

• Like 2

Is it true Cameron and its producers can't loose money on these sequels because the profits of the first movie went to a giant financial scheme/hedge fund that earned  them billions allowing them to fincance these sequels easily ?

Fact, rumor, fiction ???

Is there any rhyme or reason to this ?

Just now, The Futurist said:

Is it true Cameron and its producers can't loose money on these sequels because the profits of the first movie went to a giant financial scheme/hedge fund that earned  them billions allowing them to fincance these sequels easily ?

Fact, rumor, fiction ???

Rumour based on a reddit post.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Fact, rumor, fiction ???

If you buy a loto ticket with money you already have does that mean you cannot loose money on it ?

Not sure what you mean here ?

Is it like saying producer of Blade Runner could not loose money because they financed it with The Blind Side money fund ?

Just now, Barnack said:

If you buy a loto ticket with money you already have does that mean you cannot loose money on it ?

Is it like saying producer of Blade Runner could not loose money because they financed it with The Blind Side money fund ?

It's more like you look at the Avatar saga as a whole, that it can't lose money now because they've used the hedge fund created from Avatar to produce the sequels. That's the rumour atleast.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

What s difficult to understand ?

If you can put 1 Billion into a movie/franchise without any help from banks, you've financed your movie 100% so you can't loose money since everything has been financed.

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It's more like you look at the Avatar saga as a whole, that it can't lose money now because they've used the hedge fund created from Avatar to produce the sequels. That's the rumour atleast.

Well not sure you need to add any hedge fund story to say that Avatar franchise has a whole will not be a franchise looser...... First one made 2.73b at the box office and has probably been the biggest bluray sellers in the world. 

A bit like star wars, it could have 10 Solo in a row and the franchise has a whole would not have lost money, does not mean you do not loose money on those Solo failure.

Has for that rumor, Who is they in that sentence ?, Dune (now TSG), Fox, Lightstorm a VC silent third party that would have earned the right to finance the movies and remove to the other player the chance to invest in them ?

Speculating here but I would have imagined that people financing the first had a close that gave them the opportunity to finance the next one (thus why it is not only Fox and Lightstorm producing, but Dune also coming back) and that it is against co-financed by more than one entity and not just some edge fund (the profits of the first one didn't went to one company in particular, but split among all investor and Cameron)

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

What s difficult to understand ?

If you can put 1 Billion into a movie/franchise without any help from banks, you've financed your movie 100% so you can't loose money since everything has been financed.

You can loose the 1 billion dollar you just put in the project, that what usually loosing money is.

Say instead of putting 1 billion dollar like you described, one go this way:

I pre-sold some of the international market for 400m

I got co-investor for 400m

I put 200m in.

The movie end up just breaking event their releasing and all other cost.

Did I loose more money than in the scheme you described above ? No I lost 200m instead of 1 billion, the more you finance your movie with other people money, the less money you can loose on them (but smaller the profit when it goes well). 100% financing money yourself is the scenario where you can loose the maximum money on a movie ever.

Edited by Barnack

Disney Fox deal expected to close in early next month so by the time this sequels released , would it all be released under Disney ( maybe a new label created by Disney for Fox movies ) or still under the current Fox label given this movies start the production way back then when Fox still a company?