Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I never said if released in 2009

Don't be dumb. I said with 2009 currency rates but factoring in ticket price adjustments.  Thanks 

That mental exercise is completely pointless, I'm sorry.

Adjusting for massive market expansion make sense in the way that market truly expanded over the past 10 years, you're adjusting for a market that just doesn't exist, and your calculation is still off, like massively :ph34r:

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

That's the entire point. That's reason why Infinity War will be close/or top Avatar. Let Endgame end its run, I will surely do compile the most watched films worldwide.

#WhateverItTakes

Yes, I got your point. I was just separating your point from mine. I was trying to say that since inflation adjust on a country by country basis, admission advantage in developing country are not lumped with developed countries with more expensive tickets. Avatar's inflation adjustment still exist  in China, most Asian market and domestic market, and those global inflation may be able to offset exchange rates, while simultaneously for Avatar selling less ticket than Endgame to make sense, that's the point I was getting there.

Of course, then there's market expansion, which you don't  talk about. What is the new ceiling for global box office for a single film in 2019? People don't talk about that. Despite "massive" exchange rate differences, why are almost all films in 2009 grossing much less than they do now, obviously because of market expansion and inflation, but people don't talk about that.

Edited by NCsoft

32 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Lets not even entertain that fanboy illogical nonsense all. When you see far bigger numbers than every other movie from Asia to Europe and it dwarfing what Avatar 09 made Os. Maybe that will wake up these E.g folks.  Bo mojo or any major site is not going to compare E.g. to Avatars run because there is no comparison. Avatar in the same situation would have hit 3.8-4.1b. E.g. for example can barely outmatch a 2009 movie and you have 300%-500% increase in so many markets and way more screens to play your film, your not about that Pandora life.

Most people don't realize that when Avatar grossed 2.78B, there were a total of 4 films that grossed 1B, most people don't realize that in the year 2009, no one film apart from Avatar grossed 1B. Most people are not aware that developing markets such as China increased by 10 times, and it's not the only market going through significant expansion.

However, despite know this Kal, I am still in awe at the wide spread mental exercise that 2.8B in 2019 is equally as impressive as 2.787B in 2009 globally, I mean, does market cap not speak for itself?

46 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

That mental exercise is completely pointless, I'm sorry.

Adjusting for massive market expansion make sense in the way that market truly expanded over the past 10 years, you're adjusting for a market that just doesn't exist, and your calculation is still off, like massively :ph34r:

And your calculations are silly because domestic demand for 3d has decreased and currency rates in several countries has plummeted that would have absolutely killed Avatars Overseas total. You have played mental gymnastic and have made 

erroneousc alculations with assumptions outside of reality. Have a nice day.

This is pretty much why i dont post here anymore. Too much fanboy warz shite. As soon a the current neckbeard fanboy film gets some kind of bad news, or chink in its armour, its full on mental gymnastics, revisionist history and attack mode towards other films.

Its sad and for someone like me with mental probl;ems, too frustrating. I guess i'll see some of you guys in another year and a half, when AVATAR 2 comes. Peace out guys.:)

2 hours ago, tawasal said:

Yeah, if/when AEG does make more than Avatar it fully deserves that crown just as Avatar did when it dethroned Titanic. 

Avatar beat Titanic but I will never say Avatar's run was more impressive than Titanic, and I doubt anyone in the Jim Gang disagrees. Titanic was a once in a generation, if not once in a lifetime phenomenon. Avatar climbed to colossal heights but it's hard to overstate just how overpowering Titanic's run was, it made ~triple what the 2nd place film made. IMO, a movie in 2019 would have to make >$6B WW to be comparable to Titanic's run, I mean Titanic didn't just hit the WW box office ceiling, it blew right past it and grew the entire global market! 

To your deeper point, though, about getting along, Endgame and Avatar will still have plenty of records when all is said and done and they will both make around the same amount WW for very different reasons.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Thank you for your explanatory work, @NCsoft. Just goes to show how much bigger global market has become in 10 years. 👍

Thanks, Elessar!  I'll just have to try my best to constantly repeat those points that no one seems to acknowledge. I wouldn't feel the need to do this, if not for the crazy belittling toward Cameron, Avatar and Titanic that I've seen over the past few weeks. I was all ready to cheer for Endgame's epic run, as I still am doing, but it is just sad that people cannot appreciate a current film run, without constantly degrading films that achieved impossible historic heights. 

As for global market, we know that 2018 global box office is 41.8B, 2019 would be higher. This discussion is much easier if we know what the global box office total was in 2009, I'm guessing 28-29B? Not that a film's performance can be extrapolated linearly, but I think it can help us guesstimate what the current global ceiling for a film is. However, no one wants to provide data for Global box office 2009, I wonder why. :ph34r: 

8 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

This is pretty much why i dont post here anymore. Too much fanboy warz shite. As soon a the current neckbeard fanboy film gets some kind of bad news, or chink in its armour, its full on mental gymnastics, revisionist history and attack mode towards other films.

Its sad and for someone like me with mental probl;ems, too frustrating. I guess i'll see some of you guys in another year and a half, when AVATAR 2 comes. Peace out guys.:)

I can definitely see how this can trigger mental health problems, my anxiety level is much higher whenever we have epic box office runs like this, I actually got sick for a week during TFA run back in 2015, I guess it's a defense mechanism of mine to constantly come here try to defend Titanic and Avatar, even though we've all got others things to do.

Anyway, looking forward to you coming back for discussions next year!!:)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Avatar beat Titanic but I will never say Avatar's run was more impressive than Titanic, and I doubt anyone in the Jim Gang disagrees. Titanic was a once in a generation, if not once in a lifetime phenomenon. Avatar climbed to colossal heights but it's hard to overstate just how overpowering Titanic's run was, it made ~triple what the 2nd place film made. IMO, a movie in 2019 would have to make >$6B WW to be comparable to Titanic's run, I mean Titanic didn't just hit the WW box office ceiling, it blew right past it and grew the entire global market! 

To your deeper point, though, about getting along, Endgame and Avatar will still have plenty of records when all is said and done and they will both make around the same amount WW for very different reasons.

Yeah, that's what truly epic historical runs do, like how Avatar blow away the Chinese ceiling. To be fair, Avatar actually almost tripled the second highest grossing film that year as well! Though no argument on Titanic's epicness, I don't know if I'll be watching films right now if not for Titanic, let alone follow box office runs.

I think one misconception of us Cameron fans here, is that we're some crazy cult , while almost all of us agree that Titanic had a more epic run than Avatar, all factors considered. so technically, we just like to appreciate more historical perspective, is all. If box office is all about the current and now, it would be quite a bore, actually.

Edited by NCsoft

8 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

If box office is all about the current and now, it would be quite a bore, actually.

Totally agree. Titanic is what got me interested in BO in the first place, seeing it #1 at the box office for MONTHS was insane, especially after such a modest start. I would love to see another film like that, but right now, nobody seems to be even trying to make a film that pushes filmmaking boundaries so far beyond what people think is possible (except for Cameron and maybe a couple other directors). Maybe if you compress the entire MCU's amazing run into a single cinematic product, you have something akin to how impressive Titanic was.

Fun fact, I saw Titanic for the third time around ~9-10 months after its release, and there were at least a dozen (maybe two dozen) other people in the theater. Even two months after release it was hard to get tickets, and its biggest BO day was two months post-release because theaters were still adding screens! It took over pop culture for months, it's no exaggeration to say we've never seen a film like that since, you have to go all the way back to the original Star Wars to find a proper comp!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Totally agree. Titanic is what got me interested in BO in the first place, seeing it #1 at the box office for MONTHS was insane, especially after such a modest start. I would love to see another film like that, but right now, nobody seems to be even trying to make a film that pushes filmmaking boundaries so far beyond what people think is possible (except for Cameron and maybe a couple other directors). Maybe if you compress the entire MCU's amazing run into a single cinematic product, you have something akin to how impressive Titanic was.

Fun fact, I saw Titanic for the third time around ~9-10 months after its release, and there were at least a dozen (maybe two dozen) other people in the theater. Even two months after release it was hard to get tickets, and its biggest BO day was two months post-release because theaters were still adding screens! It took over pop culture for months, it's no exaggeration to say we've never seen a film like that since, you have to go all the way back to the original Star Wars to find a proper comp!

I hear you, we share the same feelings of awe towards Titanic, I was too little to follow its box office, but I wasn't too little to feel that I was watching something truly special!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

And your calculations are silly because domestic demand for 3d has decreased and currency rates in several countries has plummeted that would have absolutely killed Avatars Overseas total. You have played mental gymnastic and have made 

erroneousc alculations with assumptions outside of reality. Have a nice day.

Avatar created the demand for 3d and Avatar 2 will too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NCsoft said:

I have noticed that Charlie does love to talk about ER, but often neglect to discuss ticket inflation and market expansion! I think that there is a reason for that. ;)

Lol. Curious NC how many ignore those very valid points when starting a bo discussion on just how much bigger Juggernaut 2009 is than all the.behemoths of today.🙈

Edited by Sheldon Cr

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Avatar created the demand for 3d and Avatar 2 will too.

They need to understand the difference besides being a follower with nothing new. Versus a man who always create some incredible thing to bring you into their story. Its what seperates Titan and Pandora from the pretenders. Do you think its possible for 3.5b OS alone or better for A2. Holy ju ju beans my friend.😨😨

4 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

I hope the 4 Avatar sequels make as much as the MCU combined, to date. It's all Disney now anyway. Idk why the need for all this "one over the other" nonsense. The Mouse is the King of the World, now ;) 

And in the meanwhile (A5 is when? 2025?) mcu will make another 20 billies :D

• Haha 1