Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

54 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

No I didn't.

My estimates are on point keep up Deep Wang.

30 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Poor form from you Wang. At least admit when someone gets something right instead of saying they got lucky. Thought you were better than that. 

You mean the same guy whose range for Alita's OW was $30-60m and when I asked him how it would make that, he declined to back it up with breakdown?  

His $850m guesstimate for Endgame was a lot more accurate than many others, I never said it wasn't.  But just like his Alita guess, it wasn't based on any kind of research, but what he would really like the number to be.  Just like how he incorrectly guessed Alita's legs because he WANTED it to have great legs, bot because there was any evidence that it would have them.

Edited by Deep Wang
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, FrozenUnicorn said:

I'm actually surprised that Endgame doesn't look like it will beat Avatar. Avatar was a standalone film, while Endgame was the crossover culmination of 11 years and 22 movies of probably the biggest film franchise of all time.

I adore Avatar, but dang... then again, didn't it have a rerelease at one point?

End game was nowhere near the single phenomenon that Avatar was. It was a culmination but Avatar was a true 4 quad film that stood out at the time. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen on film and still is today. 

The fact that EG came even close without being 4quad or ground breaking is incredible. Obviously I hope they re release it to finish it but that's up to Disney.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Lofty defonitions of Troll and Delusional. I suppose you can never be wrong if you make up new meanings for words, genius!

You shouldn't be upset with a poster when they throw a post back in your face where you used language of certainty but were wrong. Just ride with the punches my dude.

I predicted it would break 2.8B and it will end 50m short give or take if it doesn't re release. You predicted 1b for alita, off by 600m. Little bit different.

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Friendly and civil conversation in Avatar/MCU/DCEU thread is the funniest myth on here.

I have plenty of friendly conversation with DC fans. only avatar Stans cause this much animosity. Hell I love Avatar, it's the fans that are awful. It's a top movie of mine.

3 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

His $850m guesstimate for Endgame was a lot more accurate than many others, I never said it wasn't.  But just like his Alita guess, it wasn't based on any kind of research, but what he would really like the number to be.  

Isn't this the case for 99% of the 'predictions' on this site? Why be acerbic with Jimbo over what most do? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Probably because nothing makes people more exasperated than Avatar still being king after all this time. :Gaga:

God no. Other than EG what even sniffed it? What would? I love Avatar I just hate arrogant vindictive jerks.

#2 all time with no re release is fine. Especially considering nothing else sniffed it.

#2 DOM to TFA is fine too. I frickin loved that movie and I'm only a casual starwars fan.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

arrogant

You might really want to go back and take a long hard look in a dictionary. Jimbo was right you use words and really alienate them from their ordinary usage. 

Arrogant: having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

There is no exaggeration in the importance of Avatar's position. It is the highest grossing movie of all time, how one can call that arrogant is beyond me. 

The same can be said of vindictive. I have never seen any member of the Jim Gang seek revenge over anything. What exactly would be seeking revenge over? There is no defeat to be vindictive about, no revenge over any failing of Avatar or JC. 

Please stop spouting nonsense, or at the very least start using words as they appear in ordinary language, not in whatever world you currently inhabit. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

You called @IronJimbo a delusional troll when he estimated $850M DOM for Endgame and it appears he’s going to be more accurate than anyone. So what does “troll” mean?

Endgame losing to Avatar is big news on the marketing front and will likely affect the numbers for Avatar 2.

Jimbo predicted 680m domestic and 1550 WW if i remember.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

19 minutes ago, Sindreee said:

My prediction was probably barely over 2B and yeah around 650M-680M domestic. It really did over-perform that.

Pre-release prediction, and post-release tracking (and extrapolation) are very different things,.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

My prediction was probably barely over 2B and yeah around 650M-680M domestic. It really did over-perform that.

Pre-release prediction, and post-release tracking (and extrapolation) are very different things,.

Sure. But looking at this thread with all the $3B floor, should hit $4B with a 40% chance at $5B you would think that’s not the case. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sindreee said:

Sure. But looking at this thread with all the $3B floor, should hit $4B with a 40% chance at $5B you would think that’s not the case. 

Loving all the fan optimism here though.

My prediction is 3.7B for Avatar 2, could it under-perform that, absolutely, but then again, that's the fun in predictions. If Marvelboys can have super optimistic (3B guaranteed) projection after Endgame opens, then it seems that we can certainly have the same (except that I genuinely thought all along that A2 getting to 3.7B was a lot more likely than Endgame getting to 3B).

You know, the difference is, if our 3B, 4B, 5B predictions are wrong, we'll be comfortable with coming back and laugh about it. In Endgame thread if you quote unrealistically optimistic projections, you get banned. 

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, FrozenUnicorn said:

I'm actually surprised that Endgame doesn't look like it will beat Avatar. Avatar was a standalone film, while Endgame was the crossover culmination of 11 years and 22 movies of probably the biggest film franchise of all time.

I adore Avatar, but dang... then again, didn't it have a rerelease at one point?

Avatar had a rerelease for the special edition, it only made 30 million more. So if Endgame does that, it's flat out cheating, Avatar didn't have anyone to beat and it's not as if they rereleased the theatrical cut.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

You know, the difference is, if our 3B, 4B, 5B predictions are wrong, we'll be comfortable with coming back and laugh about it.

doubt skepticism GIF by NRK P3

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sindreee said:

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

I predicted it would break 2.8B and it will end 50m short give or take if it doesn't re release. You predicted 1b for alita, off by 600m. Little bit different.

We’re talking about predictions made after OW, not predictions made before presales or months in advance.

5 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

doubt skepticism GIF by NRK P3

Browse the Alita thread (you won’t) for examples of us eating our crow with grace instead of calling people trolls or reporting them (as another asspained fanbase tends to do even if you don’t even add commentary on the numbers).

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

Loving all the fan optimism here though.

My prediction is 3.7B for Avatar 2, could it under-perform that, absolutely, but then again, that's the fun in predictions. If Marvelboys can have super optimistic (3B guaranteed) projection after Endgame opens, then it seems that we can certainly have the same (except that I genuinely thought all along that A2 getting to 3.7B was a lot more likely than Endgame getting to 3B).

You know, the difference is, if our 3B, 4B, 5B predictions are wrong, we'll be comfortable with coming back and laugh about it. In Endgame thread if you quote unrealistically optimistic projections, you get banned. 

3B Guaranteed with a 1.2B isn't s surprise at all. Hell I was conservative at 2.8 and wrong. The legs diminished faster than anyone other than arrogant stans praying it wouldn't beat Avatar. Hell even if it did/does it's still gonna be under on Inflation Adjusted. Titanic is the GOAT besides maybe Gone with the Wind.

Regardless of what EG finishes at it's still less popular than Avatar was at the time overall. It's easy to say that even as a rapid MCU fan.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Browse the Alita thread (you won’t) for examples of us eating our crow with grace instead of calling people trolls or reporting them (as another asspained fanbase tends to do even if you don’t even add commentary on the numbers).

You mean saying a movie deserves a sequel that made no money? Spamming that thread endlessly about a movie which ended it box office run months ago?

• Like 1