Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

it makes sense that they do Avatar double-screening day (Avatar first then the sequel) rather than actual re-release. It's gonna be 10 anniversary years in December so if they don't do re-release it then they likely won't next year.

one thing I can't quite grasp, how common are those type of double bills in America?

they are very common for big event films. Pretty much every cinema in the country here had Infinity War+Endgame double bill on opening night. Same thing goes for Star Wars, lots of MCU sequels, Man of Steel/Batman v Superman, Fast and Furious sequels, jurassic world, deadpool, fantastic beasts, just to name a few in the past couple years.

45 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

it makes sense that they do Avatar double-screening day (Avatar first then the sequel) rather than actual re-release. It's gonna be 10 anniversary years in December so if they don't do re-release it then they likely won't next year.

I'm sure the Disney heads will know when is the best time to do it and maximize profits.

Honestly, their marketing team is probably happy that Avatar is still #1.

yeah, I think they'll do a double bill. perfect way to experience Avatar on the big screen again while hyping for the sequel. 

I see a lot of talk like "nobody cares about Avatar" in various places. but people forget that movies are really sold with previews. if they know that out of the park and the movie isn't a dumpster fire, people will show up. if trailers and spots are amazing and new characters insanely likable (you can feel from short previews), MouseFox has nothing to worry about. 

1 hour ago, WhiteWings said:

While I see people hoping for an Endgame re-release while there's no reasoning to it, here I am wondering if there'll be an Avatar re-release for the launch of it's sequel. 🙊

I hope so, far too many people never got to experience it in 3D or IMAX. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I hope so, far too many people never got to experience it in 3D or IMAX

How I wished. Never got the occasion as the only nearest Imax screen back then was 400 kms away from my hometown...

Ten years after, the nearest Imax screen is more than 200 kms away. Progress I guess.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I would definitely attend cause I want to see this in IMAX again:

208479.gif

flying scenes are absolutely magical. also Pandora at night:

Z1Sv.gif

tumblr_n6d99gMyK91rbijdfo3_500.gif

Same here I want to watch both together on the same night in Dolby or IMAX

4 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I hope so, far too many people never got to experience it in 3D or IMAX. 

It would make sense to me. 6 months or less before absolute confirmed premier. Even if EG takes #1 with a re release that would be enough to take it back and build hope for the Sequel. 

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

It would make sense to me. 6 months or less before absolute confirmed premier. Even if EG takes #1 with a re release that would be enough to take it back and build hope for the Sequel. 

Cameron will build IMAX in every town and village on the planet for Avatar re-release and push Avatar boxoffice to 5B! ;)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Is there anything on the horizon other than this that can now dethrone A? I know people are talking up The Lion King but I'm not so sure it'll be that big. Although I do wish it well. 

30 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Will love to see Avatar on a dolby lazer projection.

If they dont rerelease its blocked by disney the bastards

opening night trip to Odeon leicester square, Jimbo?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

How I wished. Never got the occasion as the only nearest Imax screen back then was 400 kms away from my hometown...

Ten years after, the nearest Imax screen is more than 200 kms away. Progress I guess.

Wow. Dash

Sorry your not nearer to an Imax. Is that over 100 miles from you my friend. Still I'm pretty sure avatar2 will be well worth the ride.

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

Avatar 5's target is probably Avatar 2's all time record ;)

Heh heh. Very likely😁

Edited by Sheldon Cr
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

I'm surprised that IMAX screens are not more widespread over there, do you live in a relatively remote town far from bigger cities? In any case, A2 is going to be worth the drive (or the train!).:)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I'm surprised that IMAX screens are not more widespread over there, do you live in a relatively remote town far from bigger cities? In any case, A2 is going to be worth the drive (or the train!).:)

i live in a decent-sized city in western France but here Imax screens are so randomly spread out like nothing in the west where I live in a 200 kms radius, six Imax screens concentrated in Paris area, six in the south and the 3 remaining ones are in the middle of nowhere aka the center and eastern France. (Basically, if you don't live in Paris, there are 9 Imax screens for the whole country).

I might take a train or drive to Paris to catch an Imax screening unless they finally build one around my area for Avatar 2 release. (Pretty please!).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Lion king probably won't even hit 2B, maybe if it goes amazing. Star Wars little to no chance.

After that nothing until A2 will even sniff it.

If A2 fails to best it, could be half a decade or longer.

I agree, this is why the battle between Endgame and Avatar entices both sides so much.

This is the one chance that current Hollywood franchise movies can take a shot at the worldwide record for years to come, 2019 is simultaneously the peak of Star Wars (EP9), WDAS (Frozen 2), Pixar (TS4), Disney Live action (TLK) and Marvel (AEG), if Avatar manages to holds on to the record despite these "attempts", and let's be honest, AEG is the only one with a real shot, then it could very well be another 5 or 6 years before another film can take a crack at it again, nothing on the horizon that we know of, is really big enough. If another Marvel avengers eventually breaks Avatar's record, Avatar would have held on to it for 15 to 16 years anyway, and has an undeniable box office legacy (which it already does, but too many detractors are swaying the narrative)

Of course, the alternative scenario is for Avatar to hold on the record for another 2.5 years and hand it to Avatar 2, then Cameron would have three-peated his legacy by handing world record to himself again, which would be glorious. I think that this is more likely than not, but it's also not a certainty, so for now, it's just kind of nice (for us Jim fans) that Avatar can hold on to the record for longer.

Ps. yeah, I think TLK is a 1.5B movie, nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

I might take a train or drive to Paris to catch an Imax screening unless they finally build one around my area for Avatar 2 release. (Pretty please!).

Well, I certainly hope they do build an IMAX near your area. If that does not happen though, a day or even a weekend in Paris when Avatar 2 releases sounds nice~~;)

• Like 3