Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Always fun to have a laugh at people who think Avatar didnt have a great or even decent love story. It was the film's strong suit folks. There are not many films out there with a better love story than Avatar had. :DAnyway, since some haters said "OMG Avatar isn't original. It's a Dance with Wolves ripoff. ", that guy should have put up the lawsuit against Kevin Costner instead of Cameron. :P

The more I watched Avatar the more empty it seemed. Once you get past the technical and visual spectacle you start seeing how much better this film could have been if Cameron was at his best, had provided a more mature plot and got someone else to write the damn dialogue.He's made better sequels in the past so hopefully Avatar 2 is better...

Edited by Magic
  • Like 1

Avatar's strong suit was the technological advances, the special effects and the action sequences. Dialogue and love story weren't strong at all.

Nearly everyone I know disagrees with you. I'm in the middle, I appreciate that the lover story was there and definitely appealed to the vast majority of the public, but for me it just wasn't very strong. I loved the environment and SFX :)
  • Like 1

Avatar's strong suit was the technological advances, the special effects and the action sequences. Dialogue and love story weren't strong at all.

The more I watched Avatar the more empty it seemed. Once you get past the technical and visual spectacle you start seeing how much better this film could have been if Cameron was at his best, had provided a more mature plot and got someone else to write the damn dialogue.He's made better sequels in the past so hopefully Avatar 2 is better...

I wont try to set an argument here, because all are just your, personal and subjective, opinion.I just want to say that your comments are exactly the same as people used to have on Titanic: a poor love story, bad dialogue, weak plot, blah blah blah

As someone who see's Cameron's best films as Terminator 2 and Aliens...Titanic and Avatar are disappointing in comparison. They might have been bigger and made more money...but they weren't better. Better spectacles, weaker films.

As someone who see's Cameron's best films as Terminator 2 and Aliens...Titanic and Avatar are disappointing in comparison. They might have been bigger and made more money...but they weren't better. Better spectacles, weaker films.

Really depends on what you think a better/weaker film is. The spectacle is what made the Avatar experience so wonderful for me, that hardly makes it a weaker film. A film is about entertainment, some are much more conceptual and original then others, but Avatar was probably one of the most entertaining films I have seen recently.And movies are made for the masses, so of course if you don't like what the masses like then it'll be a weaker film for you.However the BO is about the masses, so we must always take them into account.
  • Like 1

I found Aliens to be disappointing.
  • Like 1

Idk what you're talking about Magic, Titanic was a fantastic film. Acting was beautiful, movie was beautiful, and the story was beautiful. One of the best films ever and certainly better then fucking Alien....

Just checking RT and critics seem to think so too.Aliens is 100% with an average rating of 8.8/10.Titanic... 83% 7.4/10.I guess I'm not completely alone.

What I mean is that Titanic is stronger in every department. Even the special effects.

In terms of CG, Titanic is obviously no match on todays' standard, but Titanic had a lot of practical effects, and that's sth different because Avatar basically is all CG. Given that Cameron literally rebuilt the Titanic back in 1997, it's hard to top that tho. Edited by vc2002

Saying Avatar isn't Cameron's best work is one thing, saying Avatar is a weak film is another. IMO T2 is his best work, and one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time, and I dont' think he can ever top that, not even with Battle Angel if that ever gets made. But, your being not as great as Michael Jordan doesnt make you a bad player. You can still be Kobe Byrant.

Edited by vc2002