Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I'm going for $150/$550.. But there is no precedence for this. The reason why Avatar had such great legs/gross was people seeing it 5-10 times. For this to do any more than $500m, this will need to get those people back at least a few times (though not as many as Avatar, as alot more people would have seen Avatar now and are looking forward to it).Of course it depends on James Cameron, and whether he can make this the 'event' of the year/decade. A 3+ hour film will dent its opening weekend totals, and is partly why I think it will struggle to get past $150.I think this will be filmed in 48fps and at an insane resolution, so if no movie does it between TH and this then it'll be another big drawcard. And i personally also know lots of people who missed out on seeing Avatar on the big screen, who may see this to see what it was all about,

God its such a hard film to predict, total and opening weekend. On the old forums i always said that i don't think AVATAR 2 could beat the $760mil of the first but i did think it would gross more than the first internationaly. I'm not so sure it will come under the firsts US total now. AVATAR 2 will probably open in the region of about $150mil and then it would only need 5x legs to match the firsts total and 5x legs is half of the 10x legs the first film had. Now if Cameron gives us his usual sequel quality then i don't see any reason why the film will lose more than half its legs so a total beating the first film is not out of the question at all, especialy over Christmas and the new year where it may well of already earned $400mil plus by the start of Jan!.

I'm going for $150/$550.. But there is no precedence for this. The reason why Avatar had such great legs/gross was people seeing it 5-10 times. For this to do any more than $500m, this will need to get those people back at least a few times (though not as many as Avatar, as alot more people would have seen Avatar now and are looking forward to it).

Of course it depends on James Cameron, and whether he can make this the 'event' of the year/decade. A 3+ hour film will dent its opening weekend totals, and is partly why I think it will struggle to get past $150.

I think this will be filmed in 48fps and at an insane resolution, so if no movie does it between TH and this then it'll be another big drawcard. And i personally also know lots of people who missed out on seeing Avatar on the big screen, who may see this to see what it was all about,

The last i heared was that Cameron was aiming for 60fps, i think that level of smoothness will bring films to life as much or more than 3d. No doub't in my mind that AVATAR 2 will be just as revolutionary as the first film.

The last i heared was that Cameron was aiming for 60fps, i think that level of smoothness will bring films to life as much or more than 3d. No doub't in my mind that AVATAR 2 will be just as revolutionary as the first film.

If that is true then this is definitely my most anticipated film for 2014!! :) And hopefully cinemas will have the equipment to play at that rate due to The Hobbit :D :D I can see x5 legs happening if there is another revolution, which appears to be what Cameron is doing. And if the storyline is better then the first (not that hard) and/or more romantic (ie more like titanic) then i can see this surpassing. But it will be a mighty challenge. But i have learnt to trust Cameron, if there is one person who can surpass Avatar in the next 5-10 years it will be him.

These opening weekend predictions are far too low. If this film opens on a Friday it will hit 200mil+ Anyone who says it can't because it's December isn't looking at the big picture. This will be the sequel to the biggest film of all time, how many times has that happened? If the trailers are good people will rush to see this OW. If Alice in wonderland made 115 m OW then i don't see how this can only open to 150 especially with inflation.

These opening weekend predictions are far too low. If this film opens on a Friday it will hit 200mil+

Anyone who says it can't because it's December isn't looking at the big picture. This will be the sequel to the biggest film of all time, how many times has that happened? If the trailers are good people will rush to see this OW. If Alice in wonderland made 115 m OW then i don't see how this can only open to 150 especially with inflation.

I agree. If any film has a chance of being the first 200 million dollar opener, it's Avatar 2.

These opening weekend predictions are far too low. If this film opens on a Friday it will hit 200mil+Anyone who says it can't because it's December isn't looking at the big picture. This will be the sequel to the biggest film of all time, how many times has that happened? If the trailers are good people will rush to see this OW. If Alice in wonderland made 115 m OW then i don't see how this can only open to 150 especially with inflation.

Its Cameron so it will probably be close to 3 hours long so they won't have quite as many showings as they would for a 2 hour movie. Plus AVATAR maybe the biggest movie of all time but its not really a 'geek' film like Twilight or Harry Potter so there won't be quite as big a rush to see it opening weekend. With the movie coming out at Christmas there will probably be a lot of competition from other films and probably family films which will also take away screens no matter how big AVATAR is expected to be, all imo of course.

These opening weekend predictions are far too low. If this film opens on a Friday it will hit 200mil+Anyone who says it can't because it's December isn't looking at the big picture. This will be the sequel to the biggest film of all time, how many times has that happened? If the trailers are good people will rush to see this OW. If Alice in wonderland made 115 m OW then i don't see how this can only open to 150 especially with inflation.

Just curious, what is the biggest opening of all time in terms of ticket sales and what does it adjust to? I think Avatar 2 will have as much lead-up hype as just about any film in history but I really wonder whether it's even logistically possible for this film to do any more than 160 - 170 OW. First you have the fact that it will run close to three hours, which will cut down the number of showings, BUT you also have to consider the fact that if it's anything like its predecessor 70-80% of the audience will want to see it in 3D.There are only so many 3D screens, and if there's any film that will make people "wait" for a 3D showing rather than settling for the 2D it's this one. Don't get me wrong, it's going to open huge, but I'm not so sure this is the first 200M opener.

Its Cameron so it will probably be close to 3 hours long so they won't have quite as many showings as they would for a 2 hour movie. Plus AVATAR maybe the biggest movie of all time but its not really a 'geek' film like Twilight or Harry Potter so there won't be quite as big a rush to see it opening weekend. With the movie coming out at Christmas there will probably be a lot of competition from other films and probably family films which will also take away screens no matter how big AVATAR is expected to be, all imo of course.

The dark knight was around 2.5 hours long and so was DMC. I don't see Avatar 2 being more than 2 hours 40mins. Also twilight and Harry potter films only tend to have massive midnights and OD's, they drop fast through the weekend, avatar won't be that sort of film. It could get a 90m OD and even possibly manage a 70m saturday right after then a 50 mil Sunday. It's more of a family movie than most like DMC was which dropped lightly from Friday to Sunday. If TDK managed 176 adjusted (correct me if I'm wrong) I don't see how this fails to hit 200m with 3d and 3 more years inflation. I personally think it will smash all opening records (maybe not midnight).

I dont think people care that Pandora is a whole new world to explore. When i ask people why they love avatar is came down to the fact that it was very pretty and had a love story in it. If Avatar 2 goes too sci-fi, or too hardcore and loses the love story it wont do so well. Avatar was Titanic in space with a happier ending. If Avatar 2 is more Aliens or T2 it will drop like a stone, better film or not.