Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

You people, with ridiculously high predictions, are crazy. The sequels will gross less than Avatar, even if they're better movies (to most people, since quality is subjective). Like the previous poster said, it is a ridiculously high mark to pass. Dunno what Terminator 2 or Aliens have anything to do with it. The former is a sequel to a movie that didn't even gross $40m and the latter a sequel to Alien, which did something like $80m. And before anyone accuses me of anything, i'm not a hater, to the contrary, i'm a Cameron fanboy, love Avatar.If i had to put down a number, i'd say $500m DOM / $1500m OS. Those are still huge numbers, wouldn't surprise me if it would do even a bit less.

Edited by Elessar

You people, with ridiculously high predictions, are crazy. The sequels will gross less than Avatar, even if they're better movies (to most people, since quality is subjective). Like the previous poster said, it is a ridiculously high mark to pass. Dunno what Terminator 2 or Aliens have anything to do with it. The former is a sequel to a movie that didn't even gross $40m and the latter a sequel to Alien, which did something like $80m. And before anyone accuses me of anything, i'm not a hater, to the contrary, i'm a Cameron fanboy, love Avatar.If i had to put down a number, i'd say $500m DOM / $1500m OS. Those are still huge numbers, wouldn't surprise me if it would do even a bit less.

Thats a bigger drop than DMC to AWE. And the comparison is those were Cameron movies saying he knows how to make sequels and get big returns from them.

Yes, he might know how to make sequels but he never did a sequel to the highest grossing movie ever. One could argue no one thought Avatar would beat Titanic and he would be right but that streak will end sometime, even Cameron is only human. ;)$2b are big returns, or not? It might do even a little more, who knows, but i really doubt it'll come very close to the first one, let alone pass it.

Edited by Elessar

Yes, he might know how to make sequels but he never did a sequel to the highest grossing movie ever.$2b are big returns, or not? It might do even a little more, who knows, but i really doubt it'll come very close to the first one, let alone pass it.

I don't think that matters as much, Cameron can deliver with sequels we should expect nothing less with Avatar 2. Hopefully a better sequels equals a bigger gross.
  • Like 1

T2 is definitely not a proper comparison, but I think the sequel really have to suck (to most people) to make less than 500M.
  • Like 1

The thing we were showing using those examples, is he knows how to make good sequels. The only reason sequels usually falter is because of a lack of quality. If the quality is there, there is no limit for this one's potential.

Yes, he might know how to make sequels but he never did a sequel to the highest grossing movie ever. One could argue no one thought Avatar would beat Titanic and he would be right but that streak will end sometime, even Cameron is only human. ;)$2b are big returns, or not? It might do even a little more, who knows, but i really doubt it'll come very close to the first one, let alone pass it.

Exactly as you said, we're in unprecedented territory here, so we should leave all options open shouldn't we?

I agree with some posters that Avatar 2 will have a very hard time outgrossing Avatar 1. If it does manage then kudos to Cameron and 20th century fox. Still if it does 2 billion worldwide, that would be amazing.

Even if it does half that it's still an incredible profit for Fox, they finally have a goldmine on their hands.

I don't think it does less than 600. We're talking about a rather significant drop off from the first when people are saying it could barely cross 500m. The movie would have to be pretty bad quality wise to see that massive of a drop. I do think it will drop from the first but I think it will manage to gross somewhere around 650m, give or take a few mill. :)

I don't think it does less than 600. We're talking about a rather significant drop off from the first when people are saying it could barely cross 500m. The movie would have to be pretty bad quality wise to see that massive of a drop.

Well, Empire Strikes Back dropped off. Edited by Elessar

Well, Empire Strikes Back dropped off.

Yea, but not by the amounts that have been mentioned in this thread. It dropped of by just under 100m; and that's from ANH's total gross from its initial release and all the re-expansions re-releases it had before Empire came out. Without the additional releases that ANH had, their grosses would have been very close to each other. Edited by junkshop36