Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Nearly everyone I know disagrees with you. I'm in the middle, I appreciate that the lover story was there and definitely appealed to the vast majority of the public, but for me it just wasn't very strong. I loved the environment and SFX :)

Everyone I know that's not a science fiction/comic book geek agrees that what they loved about the film the most was the story. A film doesn't elicit the repeat business Avatar and Titanic did if the human story doesn't touch the audience in some way. In fact, the people I know who loved it for the special effects (my comic geek friends) only saw it once.

Saying Avatar isn't Cameron's best work is one thing, saying Avatar is a weak film is another. IMO T2 is his best work, and one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time, and I dont' think he can ever top that, not even with Battle Angel if that ever gets made. But, your being not as great as Michael Jordan doesnt make you a bad player. You can still be Kobe Byrant.

Exactly. Cameron is a great director so I have faith that he will once again amaze us. Just the fact that none of us can agree on which one of his films is the best, proves that most (if not all) of his work, is fantastic.

Avatar is more of a love-story then Potter... Basically Jake falls in love while Nyteri is kicking his ass and teaching him. Then she falls for him and there are obstacles they have to overcome, like the fact he's not even a real alien. Not to mention, there's an alien race trying to kill her family and their home. ;)

Harry Potter falls in love with Ginny.It was such a bad love story in my opinion. I felt like the love story was horrible written I could care less for the characters. I never felt like they cared about each other. I was so appointed in Avatar.Now Titanic is a good love story.

Avatar's strong suit was the technological advances, the special effects and the action sequences. Dialogue and love story weren't strong at all.

Avatar's strong suit was the technological advances, the special effects and the action sequences. Dialogue and love story weren't strong at all.

I just watched Avatar for the first time in over a year and I agree that the dialogue in some scenes is really bad(almost terrible), but it did captivate me in a way that very, very few films have done. There is definitely room for improvement in for the sequel. I'm hoping for a grittier and darker sequel with Avatar 2.

Cameron said he envisioned a trilogy and he said that before Avatar hit theaters. So it isn`t like when they make a standalone movie and than force sequels to a story that`s done. Avatar is a great standalone movie but you can feel that there are many things that can be explored further. Also, he has very good track record with sequels (Aliens, T2) so I doubt he`ll give us more of the same. Of course, anyone can stumble but the sequels are guaranteed to provide at least some never-seen-before technological wonder (like Alien Queen and liquid metal T1000) if not a strong story as well.I love Avatar precisely because it`s so simple and straightforward. I don`t think the movie would have so many detractors if it didn`t end up an oscar nominee. That was when people who loved it started getting cynical and going "oh, Oscar nominee can`t possibly be a simple love story, WTF?" :rolleyes:

• Like 1

People say "Oh you can't judge a film by its box office numbers." but keep in mind that, unlike TDK, TF2 or DH2, Avatar didnt have the luxury of a diehard fanbase and the gigantic awareness that a sequel owns, and without a huge OW that usually certifies a great box office result, its success was built almost entirely on its WOM. To keep the audience coming back again and again like that, the visuals alone are not enough because no matter how spectacular the visuals are, people will get bored soon enough. The film has to make people emotionally invested, and only emotional investment will give people the will of exploring more instead of getting bored. And this is exactly the same reason both Titanic and Avatar became WW phenomenons that could only happen in decades: they both had the spectacles, and they also succeeded massively on the emotional level. (And for the same reason they even received the same backlash, from the media and on the internet.)

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 3

Just imagine Avatar as BB like you said TDK was a sequel and if Avatar 2 acts like TDK then its over.

God, no. If Cameron has vocal internet detractors (who think they speak for everybody) now, imagine if Avatar 2 made, say, 1 billion dollars domestic. The internet trolls would commit suicide en masse. People's brains would explode. Hollywood would kiss the ground Cameron walks on. It would be pandemonium. Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1