Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

22 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I sorta agree that above ground it looks pretty similar but I think that's more a testament to how far ahead of its time the original was. Still very competitive with current blockbusters.

I assume the underwater scenes they're holding back on will be where the advancement is most apparent.

Yes, i seriously think they have more to show since the teaser features very little water scenes for a movie focus so much on water. 

3 minutes ago, Eric loves Rey said:

The big issue honestly is just placing it on the Avatar YouTube channel. Which like I get, because Disney does this stuff with Marvel and Star Wars, but the Avatar channel gets peanuts in viewership and subscribers compared to the other two. Feel like they really should have plopped it on the 20th Century Studios YouTube channel tbh

Yes,  Avatar YouTube channel had like 50K subscribers, I'm puzzled why it seemed like it was only released there.

It looks...the same as the last one lol. Did the tech really need a 13-year wait? And ofc the line in the trailer is corny - he's not good at dialogue. But I bet it will be more exciting than any MCU movie ever. He's a good storyteller and a hell of an action director.  

Having watched the trailer a dozen times, I'm so happy right now. After a dozen-plus long years, we're finally going back to Pandora!! Nice balance between the old and new in this footage, as well… felt great to see the floating mountains again and appreciated the brief check-in with the goons at RCA. Can't wait to discover how everything fits together in the finished movie!

(Also this minute and a half of footage makes me even more delighted that we've still got a further three Avatars after Way of Water; going to be really fun seeing what a masterful storyteller like Cameron does with so much screen time at his disposal to create what could easily be a generation-defining epic)

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

People see in their own ways, nothing wrong with that. Going on the defensive won't help anybody. 

yeah some people can't see very well, not really a problem

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

yeah some people can't see very well, not really a problem

If people can't see the difference in the two I'm struggling to tell how they're not trolling. The sheer amount of depth and width that has improved over the original is insane. 

Just now, Eric loves Rey said:

Moderation

@JamesCameronScholar @IronJimbo Listen, you can disagree and argue with users on the visual quality and CG enhancements all you want, but if you're gonna go into petty insults, you're seeing a threadban. This is your only warning guys.

We get warned for defending Avatar in an Avatar thread? Are you serious? Whereas the people attacking it get a free pass? Your bias is showing. 

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Pretty silly for the youtube trailer to only go up to 1080p isn't it?

Disney seems to have dropped the ball in marketing this from the get go. Hopefully they'll put up the 4k VFR one at some point. 

The original Avatar, as others have said, was really ahead of its time in terms of visual effects. Even watching the movie now almost 13 years after release, the visuals still hold up. I wasn't expecting this to provide the same "wow" factor that movie did upon arrival in 2009 (especially when the character designs are unsurprisingly pretty much the same), but there's no doubt that Cameron's got plenty in store that will make this an absolute necessity to see in the 3D format.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Pretty silly for the youtube trailer to only go up to 1080p isn't it?

YES.

I generally don't believe in dealing with the loading times required for 4K videos, but I am so ready to make that exception for Avatar.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

The original Avatar, as others have said, was really ahead of its time in terms of visual effects. Even watching the movie now almost 13 years after release, the visuals still hold up. I wasn't expecting this to provide the same "wow" factor that movie did upon arrival in 2009 (especially when the character designs are unsurprisingly pretty much the same), but there's no doubt that Cameron's got plenty in store that will make this an absolute necessity to see in the 3D format.

Look at how much 'deeper' the shots are. There is at least a 3x improvement in the number of layers that are being shown this time around. 

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Or now 

The first Avatar was THE film that got me into filmmaking and going down the path of screenwriting. Without it, I don't think I'd be the person I am today, and I owe so much of that to James Cameron.

I saw the first film in theaters when I was only 10 years old. Today, I'm less than a week away from graduating college. The trailer for the sequel releasing online today feels like such a full circle moment for me in a way that I can't even begin to emotionally process.

December can't come soon enough.

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 9