Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It feels like technology hasn't evolved from 2009.

It will still make bank tho.

I sorta agree that above ground it looks pretty similar but I think that's more a testament to how far ahead of its time the original was. Still very competitive with current blockbusters.

I assume the underwater scenes they're holding back on will be where the advancement is most apparent.

• Like 1

Not seeing a massive CG upgrade from 2009, but a) I'm currently limited to 1080p HD on my laptop b) the original Avatar has better CG than 99.9% of every movie that's come since.

That said, this looks absolutely beautiful and I will be beyond shocked if any other 2022 blockbuster even comes close to touching Way of Water's visuals. Seems like Cameron's managed to expand the scope of the story beyond what we got in the first one.

Time to stop the race for the Best Visual Effects Oscar.

Just now, porginchina said:

Not seeing a massive CG upgrade from 2009, but a) I'm currently limited to 1080p HD on my laptop b) the original Avatar has better CG than 99.9% of every movie that's come since.

That said, this looks absolutely beautiful and I will be beyond shocked if any other 2022 blockbuster even comes close to touching Way of Water's visuals. Seems like Cameron's managed to expand the scope of the story beyond what we got in the first one.

i think it's more like an upgrade on lightning and animations

1 minute ago, MaverickXXR said:

**me, watching the trailer views**

Lol the trailer views are kinda flopping, but besides being shown before Strange 2, this trailer is melancholic, not bombastic. It actually reminds me of the Edge of Tomorrow trailer

I definitely think it's a good step up from A1, it obviously isn't the technological revolution A1 was at the time though but that's mostly because A1 was so far ahead of its time already on that front. Comparing pictures definitely makes it evident that this one is well ahead.

Hmm. First time I watched Avatar on TV I was bowled over by the visuals and ofcourse the emotions were great.

From trailer, I don't think visuals will do much for me but it will have to be emotions, which well James Cameron is there for that.

That said, GA will still love visuals.

10 minutes ago, porginchina said:

Are you serious?

Look at the differences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its an good teaser, i like the visuals and worldbuilding of the movie, the alien nature and the human more realistic sci-fi stuff.

Though it is not really much happening to grade the CGI, my favourite shot is the one underwater because stuff actually moves and reacts.

3 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Are you serious?

Look at the differences.

That makes the old one kinda look bad, despite it being way, way better than pretty much the visuals of any other films.

Like the visuals in the trailer were way better than

Spoiler

the ones in the movie that followed it.

Especially 3D - he just knows how to work with it.

And it's so clear.

12 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Lol the trailer views are kinda flopping, but besides being shown before Strange 2, this trailer is melancholic, not bombastic. It actually reminds me of the Edge of Tomorrow trailer

The big issue honestly is just placing it on the Avatar YouTube channel. Which like I get, because Disney does this stuff with Marvel and Star Wars, but the Avatar channel gets peanuts in viewership and subscribers compared to the other two. Feel like they really should have plopped it on the 20th Century Studios YouTube channel tbh

• Like 1