Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

38 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

this sounds like a challenge!

No so big as long as the filmmaker know the trick.

When Cameron said he wanted to do Titanic, people in Paramount felt puzzled because a shipwreck story sounded too predictable. But Cameron believed audience wouldn't know the ending, because the story was actually about characters -- we always knew the ship was gonna broken, but we didn't know what experiences Jack and Rose and anyone on that ship were going to have.

Stay in character. It's also something Tom Cruise insisted on Valkyrie. He told McQ don't reveal Hitler so early. Audience knew Hitler wasn't dying at that point. But audience didn't knew that during seeing the movie,  because they were staying in characters. They believe what characters believe.

Many people say Avatar is Dancing with Wolves on alien. But that's the feeling when you come out from theaters. When you see the movie, you don't feel in that way because you're following the characters. I guess what Cameron was trying to say here is, he will keep the emotional authenticity -- something we could hardly see in blockbusters nowadays -- in these Avatar sequels.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looking at very early ticket sales in my area (3 theatres) for Friday. 

IMAX 3D - 3 showings 72 tickets sold out of 1,248

IMAX 3D - 2 showings 13 out of 740

Regular 3D - 5 showings 13 out of 1,237

total: 10 showings 98/3225 

compared with Top Gun Maverick: 11 showings 0 tickets sold out of 3,333 

also way ahead of The Woman King 13 showings 19 tickets sold out of 3,528

Don't Worry Darling will easily win the weekend in this sample. 

34 minutes ago, cannastop said:

LMAO

Someone on /r/imax was all indignant that there was no HFR on the Avatar re-release

why would there be?

it wasn't filmed that way right?

It's possible that some projectors that Imax uses can't run 4k 3D HDR and HFR at same time. Not an expert I just saw few comments that said Dolby uses Christie projectors that can output it in fully HFR glory.

10 minutes ago, adaros said:

It's possible that some projectors that Imax uses can't run 4k 3D HDR and HFR at same time. Not an expert I just saw few comments that said Dolby uses Christie projectors that can output it in fully HFR glory.

It's pretty random and only the projectionist in the cinema will really know the answer.

I'm very sure mine is going to be IMAX 3D 4K but no HFR

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

What are the highest grossing re-releases of the last 5 years?

I'm guessing Avatar will probably beat those

It already banked $57.7 million from China alone last year, I think that puts it miles ahead already.....Spider-Man NWH is at $9.2 million domestic Sept 2-19. Jaws $5.2 million, E.T. $2.6 million, Jurassic World $1.1 m, Lion King $6.2 m.

I can't think of anything else at the moment. I think Avatar will easily surpass these numbers. 

5 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

It already banked $57.7 million from China alone last year, I think that puts it miles ahead already.....Spider-Man NWH is at $9.2 million domestic Sept 2-19. Jaws $5.2 million, E.T. $2.6 million, Jurassic World $1.1 m, Lion King $6.2 m.

I can't think of anything else at the moment. I think Avatar will easily surpass these numbers. 

So it would be pretty troll to come in here and suggest that it is likely going to flop and Disney are sweating bullets?

@Eric from Progressive

read this page

15 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It's pretty random and only the projectionist in the cinema will really know the answer.

I'm very sure mine is going to be IMAX 3D 4K but no HFR

Most cinemas don't have a projectionist these days, I'd have far fewer complaints for Cineworld's quality control if they did 😅

• Like 1

If Avatar retains its historical 27/73 split (Domestic/International) - opening weekend worldwide based on this prediction should range in the $26-44 million range. 

All Releases

DOMESTIC (26.7%) 
$760,507,625
INTERNATIONAL (73.3%) 
$2,086,889,714
WORLDWIDE 
$2,847,397,339

FdMuCnJXoAUaodx?format=jpg&name=medium

8 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Most cinemas don't have a projectionist these days, I'd have far fewer complaints for Cineworld's quality control if they did 😅

if Cinema's don't want to get KO'd by streaming they actually gotta put the effort in to have a better picture/experience... it's such a shame.

It's so unpredictable going to the cinema int he UK I swear, you have no idea what you're gonna get.