Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

GMA premiere points to a deliberately chosen audience.

https://www.similarweb.com/website/goodmorningamerica.com/#geography

women who were teenagers at the time avatar 1 came out in 2009.

Now, when avatar first came out, there were exit polls saying men made up more than half the audience. But I wonder if that changed over all these years. Maybe indeed women are the biggest single demographics by now.

Also, being a sequel to avatar there might not be any references to what its director did. But if there is one, it's gonna be titanic.

Looks like someone messed up at ABC News PR, the line about "exclusive world premiere of Avatar: The Way of Water" has been removed from the Nov 2 - Wed summary. 

the original post for Nov. 2

Wednesday, Nov. 2 —Actress Angela Bassett (“Wakanda Forever”); actor Daniel Radcliffe (“Weird: The Al Yankovic Story”); exclusive world premiere of “Avatar: The Way of Water” trailer; Oprah’s Favorite Things edition of Deals and Steals with ABC e-commerce editor Tory Johnson and Oprah Daily creative director Adam Glassman

• Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Looks like someone messed up at ABC News PR, the line about "exclusive world premiere of Avatar: The Way of Water" has been removed from the Nov 2 - Wed summary. 

Wednesday, Nov. 2 —Actress Angela Bassett (“Wakanda Forever”); actor Daniel Radcliffe (“Weird: The Al Yankovic Story”); exclusive world premiere of “Avatar: The Way of Water” trailer; Oprah’s Favorite Things edition of Deals and Steals with ABC e-commerce editor Tory Johnson and Oprah Daily creative director Adam Glassman

hmmmm, hopefully they removed it because it was meant to be a secret. I won't hold my breathe, this marketing campaign is seemingly random

32 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

So, no trailer on Wednesday?

I suspect that we'll get a trailer on Wed, I think Disney had that little blurb removed (they own the ABC Broadcast Network) because they want to issue their own proper marketing promo for the premiere (along with Lightstorm/Avatar/20th Century). I have to assume that tomorrow they will let the world know what's coming. 

1 hour ago, Deuce66 said:

If Fox didn’t get bought by a studio that owned everything to the point it’s afraid it’s competing with itself then Avatar would be getting tons of marketing already and this trailer would be out in the wild.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VENOM said:

If Fox didn’t get bought by a studio that owned everything to the point it’s afraid it’s competing with itself then Avatar would be getting tons of marketing already and this trailer would be out in the wild.

yes and no, jim working on Avatar 2 right up until the last moment

2 hours ago, VENOM said:

Yet another example of how much worse Disney's marketing has gotten under Bob Chapek. 

• Like 1

@Ericstein's Monster @ZeeSoh @Cap

I'm thinking of making a thread to try and collect everyones Worldwide (minus China) predictions for Avatar 2. I think removing China from it is a good idea, because you're gambling on things not really related to box office performance such as if there are more covid lockdowns or if it is even allowed to play there.

Anyway, I'm thinking you guys might want to do it instead of me? I know I say it in an abrasive manner usually but this really is the sequel to the highest grossing film of all time, and the biggest box office event since Endgame.

I was going to make either a poll with a bunch of $200m ranges from something like
<$800m

$800m to $1B

$1B to $1.2B

$2.8B to $3B

>$3B

OR I would just get people to submit their predictions in the thread, they have to give an absolute value, or a range and I will take the midpoint as their prediction.

If it's best I'm the one to make the thread, I know I asked you this before ZeeSoh but I forgot, where would I post it?

Edited by IronJimbo

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

@Ericstein's Monster @ZeeSoh @Cap

I'm thinking of making a thread to try and collect everyones Worldwide (minus China) predictions for Avatar 2. I think removing China from it is a good idea, because you're gambling on things not really related to box office performance such as if there are more covid lockdowns or if it is even allowed to play there.

Anyway, I'm thinking you guys might want to do it instead of me? I know I say it in an abrasive manner usually but this really is the sequel to the highest grossing film of all time, and the biggest box office event since Endgame.

I was going to make either a poll with a bunch of $200m ranges from something like
<$800m

$800m to $1B

$1B to $1.2B

$2.8B to $3B

>$3B

OR I would just get people to submit their predictions in the thread, they have to give an absolute value, or a range and I will take the midpoint as their prediction.

If it's best I'm the one to make the thread, I know I asked you this before ZeeSoh but I forgot, where would I post it?

I think best method usually would be in a club, though they aren't in the main forum these days. Maybe the mods might run a contest closer to the time, who knows. 

Minus China, 2.2bn btw

• Like 1

Box office for this one doesn’t matter unless it’s in danger of losing money. What’s matter is if this one will be astonishing. In a era of CG mess, “surprising” cameos all around the world, the world need a great movie more than another money machine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Box office for this one doesn’t matter unless it’s in danger of losing money. What’s matter is if this one will be astonishing. In a era of CG mess, “surprising” cameos all around the world, the world need a great movie more than another money machine. 

did you manage to catch any of the post-credit Avatar 2 scenes in 3D after the Avatar Remaster? I don't think it's really an IF anymore

28 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I think best method usually would be in a club, though they aren't in the main forum these days. Maybe the mods might run a contest closer to the time, who knows. 

Minus China, 2.2bn btw

I'm expecting around a 35/65 domestic to overseas-minus-china split so lets just say my numbers are a little higher, considering I made the 1 billie Dom club

Edited by IronJimbo