Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 minute ago, shachi86 said:

Yikes! $70m opening would be really bad for Avatar 2! That would be below the opening for the original Avatar, which was notoriously affected by a blizzard in North America!

...I don't think you got my point, and it wasn't a particularly hard one to get. I'm simply trying to say that A2 sales would always be expected to be far more spread out compared to how a BP would behave. There's a reason most people in the tracking thread are going to use JWD comps and not MCU comps.

If A2 was selling like BP early on I would bet on 220M+ opening easily (yes, this was just one tracker and very early on, yada yada, just bear with me with this example), which is why I don't think that's the CBM it was referring to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

From the way that's worded, I unironically do think that post might be Black Adam though. Cause like, considering relative audience trends, if that was BP it'd be pretty huge for A2, even knowing BP was on the less frontloaded side of things for the MCU.

In all seriousness, wouldn’t be totally shocked to see an initial sales push on par with BPWF, in part because the PLF demand will likely be higher, but with the same limited capacity (supply), creating more of an urgency to book say an IMAX seat. Even for just 3D there are fewer possible seats than for any other $100M+ opener 

The question would then be what happens after that first spurt, if it keeps pace over the run up (I don’t think it will, but how far it would fall behind pace is the relevant question)

22 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

i agree with Deep Wang, we should use box office instead as that's an objective measure

Box office, box office legs, audience WOM, critics rating, industry recognition (PGA, DGA nomination), overseas appeal, Oscar Nomination, Oscar wins, Imdb average rating, or the fact this thread has 1239 pages and the sequel is the single largest driver of conversation on this forum right now (and has been for a couple of years, let's be honest).

There doesn't seem to be an important "measure" that doesn't point to Avatar being a quality film, regardless of whether Oscar should be used as a barometer or not. 

1 minute ago, M37 said:

In all seriousness, wouldn’t be totally shocked to see an initial sales push on par with BPWF, in part because the PLF demand will likely be higher, but with the same limited capacity (supply), creating more of an urgency to book say an IMAX seat. Even for just 3D there are fewer possible seats than for any other $100M+ opener 

The question would then be what happens after that first spurt, if it keeps pace over the run up (I don’t think it will, but how far it would fall behind pace is the relevant question)

Considering they haven't even put out the final trailer to raise awareness on tickets being out yet, I would be EXTREMELY surprised if it was pacing like BPWF. I think it would be huge, but yeah, I actually think it's BA lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shachi86 said:

Would be so funny if it did though!

It's unironically hilarious how desperate you are with your concern trolling that you'd even entertain the remote possibility of Avatar 2 opening to something as low as $70m.

You're an absolute vulture desperate for something to cling onto, and you'll probably disappear as soon as you're unable to spin this narrative of failure, which isn't rooted in any sort of reality. You're going to have a rude awakening in 25 days, friend.

• Thanks 5

12 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Is this giving permission for a WWW thread if it doesn't make 2B?

Under $2b is a flop.

I love that I get to say this without being called a troll now.

Edited by IronJimbo