Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 minute ago, Dragoncaine said:

If that was the case, the movie would easily have an 8/10 average rating or higher. Not everyone likes the story, and that's okay.

Agree and on MC the first film had 83 and this one has an 72. Visual are getting raves but the story is not clicking with everybody.

4 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

What the critics think of this film means norhing re: box office. The third act is getting a lot of praise, which bodes well for the WoM. To be honest, I was a bit surprised how polarising the UK reaction so far. I know it's a small sample size, but there are a lot of 5 star reviews and a a few 1 star reviews flying as well. Those who like it, really love it, those who can't buy into it, really hate it.

I mean, they don't mean nothing but their reaction certainly indicates what people want is what they will get. I don't think it would be good for this movie's prospects if critics all hated it.

Just now, Dragoncaine said:

Another 2/10 besides Robbie Collins from The Telegraph??? That one is already counted on MC and RT.

Yes, from Mick LaSalle 

I mean the guy is a joke, he gave Morbius a 75/100 and likes to shit on acclaimed movies for some reason, but still, it's a 25/100 waiting to enter 

Just now, interiorgatordecorator said:

got a link?

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/movies-tv/review-james-camerons-ego-turns-avatar-the-way-of-water-into-endless-torture

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Well someone just give it a 2/10 that counts for metacritic so let's say goodbye to the sweet 71 it was holding until now 

I will never understand these kind of reviews for a technical marvel and groundbreaking movie like Avatar. I mean... thinking it's mediocre or even bad it's ok, but these insanely low scores just seems unreasonable and filled with a lot of anger.

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

got a link?

From Mick LaSalle, who I genuinely think is the worst Top Critic in all of Rotten Tomatoes. Gave The Batman and Avatar 2 a 25/100, gave Morbius a 75/100. He's a classic contrarian in many cases. On a personal level, I never agree with him. But Avatar 2 is still dipping into the 60s on MC, it's inevitable.

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/movies-tv/review-james-camerons-ego-turns-avatar-the-way-of-water-into-endless-torture

Edited by Dragoncaine
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Is there a "you've got a face made for radio" equivalent for voices? because I can hear her just looking at that thumb nail and it's awful. 

More power to anyone that can watch those videos.

Yeah her voice is annoying, the way she acts is annoying, and a lot of her views on movies (and life) is annoying. She's like a , i cant even spell it with my dyslexia, a charicature? of what you would think a annoying tv host would be lol.

But the point is she was NOT a fan of the first film, but loved this one.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

You know Disney rooting for Morocco tomorrow. France-Argentina would turn this into the international version of Age of Ultron opening weekend. FIFA may be getting a bribe from James Cameron this time.

I think it’s already that with it potentially being Messi’s date with destiny. 
Still, the masses will see Avatar around it but Sunday night largely the world over is going to be all about the football. 

My first opportunity to see the film is Sunday, but no chance I’m missing the World Cup Final. 

6 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

If that was the case, the movie would easily have an 8/10 average rating or higher. Not everyone likes the story, and that's okay.

No one is saying everyone liked the story. I'm saying the consensus isn't that it's narratively "standard stuff." Way too many glowing reactions about how emotionally powerful it is and how they love the characters. On the other side no doubt a sizeable minority dislike the story.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

What the critics think of this film means nothing re: box office. The third act is getting a lot of praise, which bodes well for the WoM. To be honest, I was a bit surprised how polarising the UK reaction so far. I know it's a small sample size, but there are a lot of 5 star reviews and significant 1 star reviews flying as well. Those who like it, really love it, those who can't buy into it, really hate it.

Just like the first movie really then. We had the fanboys getting depressed over the beauty of the film, and the haters who hated the film so much that there are whole movements against this sequel (cringe).

Thankfully the people that like it far outweigh the people that dont.

2 minutes ago, danziger said:

No one is saying everyone liked the story. I'm saying the consensus isn't that it's narratively "standard stuff." Way too many glowing reactions about how emotionally powerful it is and how they love the characters. On the other side no doubt a sizeable minority dislike the story.

if anything the opinions are really mixed on the story, not many saying it's standard. They're either saying it's emotional or clunky. That RT summary is pretty poor honestly

10 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

excellent reviews in France

avg 4.2/5 stars

6 5 stars reviews

nothing below 3

https://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm-178014/critiques/presse/

UK will have the worst reviews in the entire world for Avatar 2, why do i live here?

EDIT: Just like clockwork @wildphantom proves my points instantly in the post above

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 1