Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

7 hours ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

Looks like China may be more problematic than we hoped. According to some users in China, there’s a lot of pushback about the re-opening and a general COVID hesitancy. I’m hopeful it still goes over $450M but it sucks to think what it could miss. 

COVID and ER issues will probably cost this film $650-850M worldwide. 

Whatever the numbers are, I consider this film lucky to get a China release.

• Like 1

RT above 80%, MC above 70%, many nominees, i pretty sure we will see BO history again, maybe not in the first week but this movie will pull a tsunami again like the first one. It will start slow, and than gets stronger and stronger.

Edited by dignam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hw64 said:

https://deadline.com/2022/12/avatar-the-way-of-water-box-office-preview-prediction-1235197950/

From Deadline: $175m domestic, $350m overseas opening weekend (made up of $100m from China and $250m elsewhere).

China will be at least $50M more than that. No clue about openings in any other OS market though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hw64 said:

https://deadline.com/2022/12/avatar-the-way-of-water-box-office-preview-prediction-1235197950/

From Deadline: $175m domestic, $350m overseas opening weekend (made up of $100m from China and $250m elsewhere).

I could handle a 525mil WW OW, in fact i mentioned it getting a 500mil WW OW the other day in here.

Having said that, i do feel they are lowballing China's opening a touch, unless those predicts coming out of China are waaay off the mark. Of course they could be being conservative due to the covid problems there.

Just now, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

China will be at least $50M more than that. No clue about openings in any other OS market though.

Deadline are awful at predicting overseas openings. The $250m overseas outside of China is a big lowball as well.

4 minutes ago, hw64 said:

do you agree?

6 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Just 100m from China? I don't think even the more pessimistic predictions would suggest that...

6 minutes ago, hw64 said:

They are lowballing it,. Dom seems fine but OS imo is low and China is too low. World Cup final can affect things OS on the weekend but I still think 250m OS-C is low. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I could handle a 525mil WW OW, in fact i mentioned it getting a 500mil WW OW the other day in here.

Having said that, i do feel they are lowballing China's opening a touch, unless those predicts coming out of China are waaay off the mark. Of course they could be being conservative due to the covid problems there.

3 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Deadline are awful at predicting overseas openings. The $250m overseas outside of China is a big lowball as well.

Their OS prediction definitely seems conservative to me. Probably by $100M. I’m still sitting in the mid-150s for domestic OW.

11 minutes ago, hw64 said:

19 hours ago, Porthos said:

Avg predict so far:          176.02m

Median predict so far:    176.77m

Guess we know the O/U line then!

Excited Season 6 GIF by The Office

11 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

do you agree?

The domestic prediction I agree with even if a lot of people here don't, but the overseas and China grosses are way too low.

For me, it's a $650-$720m global opening if COVID hesistancy in China doesn't affect the opening weekend too much (big question mark at the moment).

Edited by hw64

So, if I'm reading this right, Disney and theaters are literally charging an average ticket price $2.79 about last week's $12.04 average or a 23.17% average ticket price increase...dang...

I know no one paid for premium probably last weekend, but dang...even the just 2d standard is above last week...

PS - And I guess my area is not far above the average - right now, it's $20.75, $19.25, and $16.75 here...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1