Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

However much involvement JC actually had in Alita, I know my personal interest in it waned when he left the directing chair and as much as they may have tried to promote his involvement, it definitely didn't have the gusto behind it that his actual directing effort campaigns did. I can't say for sure it would've made more money but I do think it would've had a much higher marketing budget and a non-February release date.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, watcher1232 said:

Yes Cameron directing would've been a different movie, but that's not what determines box office. 

Of course it does, more so for movies that are not sequels.

There is no such thing as "a" quality. Quality is in the eye of the beholder. A different movie would have elicited different reactions which feeds WOM, negatively or positively. A thing that would have definitely changed had Cameron done it himself would be the amount of marketing. I bet it would have received much more of an event treatment.

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Ofc, but atleast then we will have this films gross here as a way more plausible comparison for Movie Number 3 than the original film compared to this. Having the movies 12 years or only 2 years apart makes a big difference with predictions.

Yes looking forward to those much more.

Moderation

@watcher1232 has been threadbanned for 24 hours for starting an idiotic flame war. Anybody who continues this "Alita is actually a James Cameron" argument will also see a threadban. This isn't the Alita thread, so zip it.

Just as an aside also to @JamesCameronScholar, I really suggest you put certain users on your Ignore list. There is no need to go into these pointless arguments, and continuing these pointless arguments isn't beneficial to anybody. Just let the mods do their job and don't set fuel to the fire.

So apparently it's a visually stunning trailer thats doesnt try to be trailer but it's just quick snippets of some unrelated scenes + scenery showcase and is a bit uncomfortable to watch due to the to the quick transition between frame rates 

I guess I can easily picture how to supposedly mind blowing footage (the first 20 min) is condensed into "meh"

Why even release this? Why not just release an 8 minute preview or a normal trailer that actually tries to tell a story, that way they can at least avoid the feeling of mishmash that happens when pairing random scenes of different frame rates together, and the big focus on showing of the world seems to have bored people a bit

what they did seems unnecessary and has the potential to backfire on them if people find it boring or uncomfortable to watch, terms that are unlikely to be applicable to the final product

Seems like an example of a badly put together teaser carried by its out of this world visuals

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

I think Avatar gross will depends on China. 

Being reasonable i think we can expect 1.6-1.8B without China (500-700M DOM and 1.1-1.3B foreign, which is already a pretty big decline considering tickets are way more expensive now than in 2009, so i think i´m being very reasonable).

Now, if it´s going to surpass the first one will depends if the crazy predictions that maybe this will be the first billionaire movie on China will be real or way off. 

But still, i think this is one of the most ´´impossible to fail´´movies outside of MCU right now. It will be a huge success doesn´t matter if it will gross 2B or 3B, which i believe are both possible.

10 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

So apparently it's a visually stunning trailer thats doesnt try to be trailer but it's just quick snippets of some unrelated scenes + scenery showcase and is a bit uncomfortable to watch due to the to the quick transition between frame rates 

I guess I can easily picture how to supposedly mind blowing footage (the first 20 min) is condensed into "meh"

Why even release this? Why not just release an 8 minute preview or a normal trailer that actually tries to tell a story, that way they can at least avoid the feeling of mishmash that happens when pairing random scenes of different frame rates together, and the big focus on showing of the world seems to have bored people a bit

what they did seems unnecessary and has the potential to backfire on them if people find it boring or uncomfortable to watch, terms that are unlikely to be applicable to the final product

Seems like an example of a badly put together teaser carried by its out of this world visuals

The reactions aren´t meh tho, i put a lot of reacts some pages ago, they´re pretty good, there wasn´t much to talk about it beyond the visuals but they´re very good.

I´ve look harder and i only found 2 average to bad reactions, both are the ones that are posted first on Cinemacon thread and almost started an overreaction there. 

But i do agreed maybe a actual trailer would be a better choice to avoid these feeling that they didn´t show anything important, but since the new trend in Hollywood is keeping full trailers to drop close to release maybe that´s why they decided to do something different to show 8 months before release.

Edited by ThomasNicole

5 minutes ago, Eric is a furry said:

Moderation

@watcher1232 has been threadbanned for 24 hours for starting an idiotic flame war. Anybody who continues this "Alita is actually a James Cameron" argument will also see a threadban. This isn't the Alita thread, so zip it.

I don't think a ban was necessary. It was a civil argument.

Anyway, back to topic, i'm not a fan of the title. Had hoped it was just a working title when we heard about "The Way of Water" all this time ago. Imagine Star Wars Episode 2 being called The Way of Sand lol. ;)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:
Spoiler

Spoiler

It was less than 5 minutes of footage I believe

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I can be converted to the 3B train.

Is that the Avatar 3B train, or the A:WAW 3B train?

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The reactions aren´t meh tho, i put a lot of reacts some pages ago, they´re pretty good, there wasn´t much to talk about it beyond the visuals but they´re very good.

I´ve look harder and i only found 2 average to bad reactions, both are the ones that are posted first on Cinemacon thread and almost started an overreaction there. 

But i do agreed maybe a actual trailer would be a better choice to avoid these feeling that they didn´t show nothing important, but since the new trend in Hollywood is keeping full trailers to drop close to release maybe that´s why they decided to do something different to show 8 months before release.

It doesn't matter that much this far out, they could have released just a title card or just not released a trailer at all until like October and it still wouldn't matter. 

• Like 1

I'm guessing they wanted to show something different from the teaser to not let that narrative be colored before the public release but still give the Cinemacon audience something so they didn't feel ripped off. This will be old news once the teaser is out.

Edited by AniNate

25 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

CALLING PEOPLE WHO BEEN FOLLOWING COVID BOX OFFICE

Say if Avatar was to do ~4.5 billies in 2022, in an alternate universe where covid never existed.

What would that look like in our covid ridden universe?

So no one knows how box office works anymore???

12 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I can already see the same arguments we had back when The Hobbit did 48fps. "it's like on fast forward" "it looks fake" Sigh....