Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

5 hours ago, Macleod said:

Of course it will be released in every territory...the only question is which format it will be in within every country!  😉

What's that?  I thought "drop" was this generation's term for "being released"??  😅 

Release in every terriotry has become standard for blockbusters.

You can maximazie the impact of publicity that way,. and save money by not having to launch a dozen different publcity marketing campaigs at different times.

2 hours ago, NCsoft said:

There might be a chance that they decide to ban it like they did with Doctor Strange 

But if not, we should be looking at some good numbers over there

As far as I am concerned, Saudi Arabia can go to hell. I don't like religious dictatorships very much.

6 hours ago, Chaz said:

I think Avatar 2 will drop in every territory. 🤷‍♂️

Same. I don't root against it, and I'm sure 20th's marketing will do their damndest to spin this as "The phenomenon continues...". There's a blockbuster every month now, and IDT the GA will care about the technical advances to see it as intended.

IMAX thinks a little more highly of them;

He’s particularly up on Jim Cameron’s Avatar: The Way of Water coming in December given that the first Avatar ended up being Imax’ top-grossing film ever. On a call with Wall Streeters, Gelfond said Imax has set up a special internal Avatar task force across divisions from technology to distribution and marketing to capitalize on the next installment.

“The last one we got caught off guard. We had less than 300 theaters. We are going to be ahead of the curve on that,” he said.

brb applying to be on the AVATASK FORCE

https://deadline.com/2022/04/imax-earnings-avatar-1235012439/#recipient_hashed=ec91b969b65d1e1745d3ef92ae48fb9ae6e7786603732f927ee0a9c0e8b204e4

Edited by Morieris
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Completely depending on release scale and ambition, I think?

Personally, if Avatar 2 is capable of getting to 3B, I'd rather A2 be the first film to do so; Titanic first to get to 1B, Avatar 2B, and Avatar 2 - 3B, it's a nice legacy.

As for the re-release, I'm guessing anywhere between $50M to $200M globally is possible? Also depends on if China is getting it again, could squeeze some more money perhaps.

That sounds like a great predict NC. Though I'm hoping for 300mil plus now that I know about a cool re-release of Juggernaut 2009. 💪😉. And I'm good my friend about to celebrate my 6th yr anniversary with my wife. And praying god is with us and hopefully no ww3 anytime soon NCsoft

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Apparently the trailer in front of DS2 will be exactly like the Cinemacon footage (which as we know, was random 5 minutes presenting the environments of Pandora without plot or much dialogue).

Was it 5 minutes? Somebody over on the blu-ray forums said they got the 2D/3D versions of the trailer shipped to their theater and it has a 1 minute 34 second runtime. I think I also heard them say it was a short teaser on the John Campea stream.

Edited by ImNotExcited

I'm pretty sure some YouTube reaction claimed that the Cinemacon clip was about 90 Secs, the 5 Min claim might not be accurate. 

I do think 90 Sec makes more sense, if it was a 5 Min no dialogue scenery clip, I think it would have shown a lot and generated more discussions. 

Edited by NCsoft

47 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I'm pretty sure some YouTube reaction claimed that the Cinemacon clip was about 90 Secs, the 5 Min claim might not be accurate. 

I do think 90 Sec makes more sense, if it was a 5 Min no dialogue scenery clip, I think it would have shown a lot and generated more discussions. 

There’s no way that they’d let general audiences first impressions of the film be what basically amounts to a 5 minute tech demo. That would confuse and annoy more people than it’d please.

Let's talk re-release

Are any of Halloween Ends, Black Adams and Black Panther 2 expected to release in 3d? Of those id say only BP is probably going to be release in 3D

I don't know how hard it is to convert 2d screens to 3d screens and vice-versa, but I assume it's not that simple and that everything that 3d at the time of the re-release's release will stay being 3d till avatar 2 is out of theaters, meaning that they have nothing to replace the avatar re-release with

Does that mean that if only Wakanda forever uses 3d, the avatar re-release will remain in the vast majority of 3d screens it releases till november 10? Nearly 40 days in the case, what does that do to predictions?

Edit: seems like I was wrong about how much effort it takes to turn a 3d screen into a 2d screen, meaning that everything about my post is wrong

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

6 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Let's talk re-release

Are any of Halloween Ends, Black Adams and Black Panther 2 expected to release in 3d? Of those id say only BP is probably going to be release in 3D

I don't know how hard it is to convert 2d screens to 3d screens and vice-versa, but I assume it's not that simple and that everything that 3d at the time of the re-release's release will stay being 3d till avatar 2 is out of theaters, meaning that they have nothing to replace the avatar re-release with

Does that mean that if only Wakanda forever uses 3d, the avatar re-release will remain in the vast majority of 3d screens it releases till november 10? Nearly 40 days in the case, what does that do to predictions?

3D isn't IMAX/PLF, if the projector is 3D capable, it can and will play 2D movies.  The most you have to do is slide a box in front of the screen while it plays 3D movies.