Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Eagerly, waiting for news like "THR: As per early reports, James Cameron's Avatar 2 was expected to drop by 50% on 2nd Weekend"

After Weekend result, "THR: Cameron's Avatar 2 had repeated the miracle of its former by dropping less than 1%!!"

Finally, 300M+ people dreams are going to be fulfilled on December 16!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think the people who liked Avatar decided to show up and stop this narrative that nobody cares about it 

Reception of the leaked images are mostly excellent on social media.

The Cinemacon day also generated a lot of buzz. The Avatar page only posted the title the next day and still got 80k likes even if everyone talked about the day prior.

I see signs of buzz picking up for sure, I think Avatar had 2 trending titles on Twitter that Cinemacon day and lasted for quite some time while others films didn't trend quite as much. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Eagerly, waiting for news like "THR: As per early reports, James Cameron's Avatar 2 was expected to drop by 50% on 2nd Weekend"

After Weekend result, "THR: Cameron's Avatar 2 had repeated the miracle of its former by dropping less than 1%!!"

Finally, 300M+ people dreams are going to be fulfilled on December 16!

I can't even tell who is being serious anymore with stuff like this lol

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

Isaac is serious but they're just wrong. 2nd weekend has CE on Saturday, that's an extra drop right there. A1 had such a low 2nd weekend because 1) WOM and 2) Christmas fell on Friday and that juiced the weekend. 

A2 will have much more hype for OW and then the calendar configuration doesn't help. I expect a 35% drop at a minimum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think the people who liked Avatar decided to show up and stop this narrative that nobody cares about it 

Reception of the leaked images are mostly excellent on social media.

The Cinemacon day also generated a lot of buzz. The Avatar page only posted the title the next day and still got 80k likes even if everyone talked about the day prior.

That narrative always seemed flimsy to me - what brought so much success to Avatar back in the day was its beautiful world, it stands to reason that same beautiful world can very well be used for more stories and still bring great success. I don't really have a strong opinion on where this one will go yet, but absurdly disastrous predictions like sub 1B never made much sense imo, and even before any footage is actually out im definitely starting to see the buzz (esp. in my country - avatar seems to be regarded better outside the US these days) - there's going to be much more of it once the marketing machine starts running.

• Like 1

Just now, MultiverseXXR said:

Isaac is serious but they're just wrong. 2nd weekend has CE on Saturday, that's an extra drop right there. A1 had such a low 2nd weekend because 1) WOM and 2) Christmas fell on Friday and that juiced the weekend. 

A2 will have much more hype for OW and then the calendar configuration doesn't help. I expect a 35% drop at a minimum.

Oh, I know!  It's just that people seem to think Cameron can perform miracles but he can't compete with the miracle of JC's birth aligning just right so that the second Saturday is deflated lol

6 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Oh it related to former one, if it had a once in a blue moon opening again. Like the earlier one ($30M-$40M). May be I should have cleared out from what Opening week numbers I was talking about

9 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Yeah but what if A2 is the blockbuster version of EEAAO

What if it's December version of BvS?

We can "What If..." things all day but the likely scenario is a larger opening and harsher drops than the first. This will behave much more like a regular blockbuster.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Seems the Tweet's been deleted

YES, because it's Pirated material!  Which of course should not even be allowed to be linked on these forums!  

Wait a few more days and see it on the big screen, as it was meant to be.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

What's the best picture from the 1st one to do a side-by-side comparison with?

Here's a couple from Avatar's Official Facebook account. 

15776832_10154451329974064_2648822150921

13316864_10153873718009064_7886817760770

Jake on his Ikran.

11222254_10153475907424064_3630170809669

and one of those super expensive highly detailed shots, I'm expecting Avatar The Way of Water to look like THIS.

11417767_10153101325819064_8566362803012

9 minutes ago, Macleod said:

YES, because it's Pirated material!  Which of course should not even be allowed to be linked on these forums!  

Wait a few more days and see it on the big screen, as it was meant to be.  

The tweet might be gone but those images will remain. 

What I find fascinating about Avatar these days isn't the "it made a ton of money but nobody cares or remembers it" talk or the "you can compare it to Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas, Ferngully, etc until you're blue in the face", its that it made a ton of money despite being quite explicitly an anti-imperialist and anti-US movie.  Avatar came out less than a decade after 9/11 and audiences were cheering when the natives in another land were killing US soldiers.  It felt like an anomaly at the time and especially now with the next decade+ of Hollywood blockbuster film making  such as the MCU, Man of Steel, and Transformers being full blown propaganda for the State Department and the military industrial complex.  If I remember correctly, theres a line in Avatar by Stephen Lang's character(the war hungry and bloodthirsty general) that indicates the US was either at war with Venezuela or conquered it which is highly amusing after that hilariously botched US orchestrated coup in Venezuela a few years ago in an attempt to exploit its natural resources(mostly oil).

While I didn't like Avatar all that much(mostly because of 1 dimensional characters and the Navi designs), if James Cameron doesn't capitulate under any studio "concerns" or pressure and keeps his foot on the the anti-imperialist/patriotic gas pedal, I'm very curious to see how Avatar 2 plays in a society that, over the past 12 years, has rapidly become much more militaristic and oligarchical.  If Avatar 2 becomes a whiz-bang blockbuster hit in a time with such a compliant obedient media-brained population and blows movies like Top Gun 2(which is gonna be huge) out of the water, it will(gasp) be hard for me to root against it. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

What I find fascinating about Avatar these days isn't the "it made a ton of money but nobody cares or remembers it" talk or the "you can compare it to Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas, Ferngully, etc until you're blue in the face", its that it made a ton of money despite being quite explicitly an anti-imperialist and anti-US movie.  Avatar came out less than a decade after 9/11 and audiences were cheering when the natives in another land were killing US soldiers.  It felt like an anomaly at the time and especially now with the next decade+ of Hollywood blockbuster film making  such as the MCU, Man of Steel, and Transformers being full blown propaganda for the State Department and the military industrial complex.  If I remember correctly, theres a line in Avatar by Stephen Lang's character(the war hungry and bloodthirsty general) that indicates the US was either at war with Venezuela or conquered it which is highly amusing after that hilariously botched US orchestrated coup in Venezuela a few years ago in an attempt to exploit its natural resources(mostly oil).

While I didn't like Avatar all that much(mostly because of 1 dimensional characters and the Navi designs), if James Cameron doesn't capitulate under any studio "concerns" or pressure and keeps his foot on the the anti-imperialist/patriotic gas pedal, I'm very curious to see how Avatar 2 plays in a society that, over the past 12 years, has rapidly become much more militaristic and oligarchical.  If Avatar 2 becomes a whiz-bang blockbuster hit in a time with such a compliant obedient media-brained population and blows movies like Top Gun 2(which is gonna be huge) out of the water, it will(gasp) be hard for me to root against it. 

The way I look at the RDA is the same as any other trillion dollar multi national, they are basically borderless and operate outside the reach of gov't due to their immense financial resources. They don't represent anyone but themselves. I don't think the movie is anti-US, it is anti-imperialist though so I agree with you on that point. 

The themes in Avatar are common Cameron tropes at this point, we know where he stands on these subjects even if he has to work within a capitalist economic system to get his message out there. A lot of people hated the themes of the first movie and I'm pretty sure it will be more of the same moving forward so he will lose those viewers for sure.  

Is the world more divided today?? in the USA that's a definite yes imo, the tribal lines are very clear, it will be interesting to see if Avatar II-III plays on both sides of that debate. 

As for Top Gun, obviously it will be very pro USA, I can't see that movie being anything other but an advertisement for the Air Force. I'd be glad to be proven wrong though.   

RDA (Resources Development Administration) from the Avatar wiki

The Resources Development Administration, or RDA, is the largest single non-governmental organization in human space. Its power is such that it outmatches most of Earth governments in wealth, political influence, and military capability. The RDA has monopoly rights to all products shipped, derived, or developed from Pandora and any other off-Earth location.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deuce66 said:

Here's a couple from Avatar's Official Facebook account. 

15776832_10154451329974064_2648822150921

13316864_10153873718009064_7886817760770

Jake on his Ikran.

11222254_10153475907424064_3630170809669

and one of those super expensive highly detailed shots, I'm expecting Avatar The Way of Water to look like THIS.

11417767_10153101325819064_8566362803012

I thought those first few pics were from the sequel initially. Insane how good it still looks.

• Like 1

Moderation: We do not allow pirated material (screencaps, leaked trailer, etc). Only stuff released officially by the production company, people involved in production like actors, directors, etc and in trade websites like deadline, variety, etc. Even under spoiler tags. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1