Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

5 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

any reason for how meh it did there?

even maleficent outgrossed it

Meh? It was the highest-grossing film of all time in Mexico, both in LC and I believe in dollars. Mexico as a market has just grown immensely since 2009, from 170m yearly admissions to over 340m in 2019, over doubling in size.

It likely would've done even better in Mexico if the 3D infrastructure in 2009 was anywhere near what it is today, a point which is especially worth noting in the developing markets. I can't find any specific stats for Mexico, but in Brazil, for example, there were only 109 3D screens in 2009 compared to 1,833 in 2019.

5 hours ago, AnDr3s said:

44.7m was 575m lc in 2009

44.7m in 2022 is 902m lc

yeah not improving much or at all

Avatar's admissions with No Way Home's ticket prices already takes its gross to MX$715m. Account for the market literally doubling in size, and then on top of that the fact that Avatar 2 will probably have higher ticket prices than even No Way Home, and you'll see that there's significant room for growth even in dollar gross.

Edited by hw64
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Back in 200

I'm going to have to completely disagree with your description of 2009 cinema, I don't think anyone would be shocked if you told them what 2022 would be like in 2009. Not atleast anyone following current cinema trends.

When Avatar was released in 2009, we were already in an era of franchises.

So when Avatar was released we obviously had Titanic as the highest grossing movie of all time, an original piece by big Jim.

Now lets take a look at the next 20 highest grossing movies.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $1,146,436,214 2003
Jurassic Park $1,099,428,303 1993
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest $1,066,179,747 2006
The Lion King $1,063,611,805 1994
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace $1,027,082,707 1999
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone $1,017,713,119 2001
The Dark Knight $1,006,102,277 2008
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End $960,996,492 2007
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers $947,896,241 2002
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix $942,201,710 2007
Finding Nemo $940,352,645 2003
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince $934,483,039 2009
Shrek 2 $928,760,770 2004
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring $898,094,742 2001
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire $896,730,264 2005
Spider-Man 3 $894,983,373 2007
Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs $886,686,817 2009
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets $879,793,867 2002
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith $868,390,560 2005
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen $836,303,693 2009

The list speaks for itself massively. The films coming in with the least franchise power were Jurassic Park (still based off a book), Finding Nemo and The Lion King. The animation studies Disney and Pixer is franchise power in itself.

The most hilarious and best part of putting this list together is you get to see the difference between Jim and the rest of cinema in 2010. He IS the anomily in a franchise era. Avatar making $2.78b when the highest grossing non-Jim film made $1.146b is just CHEFS kiss.

Jim is honestly an force of nature when it comes to blockbusters, except 4 billies and no less.

Now you don't have to agree with my numbers, but you can atleast admit your assesment of 2009 cinema was off the mark. It was all franchises like Harry Potter, Pirates of the Carribean, LOTR, Star Wars, Transformers... AND JIM

I think you misunderstood what he meant. Of course we had Massive Franchise Films like Ice age 3 Transformers 2 and Harry Potter that we're huge successes.  At the same time we also had mid-budget films that were successful as well at the box office. Knowing, The Ugly Truth, Brüno and The Hangover are examples that come to mind. Now would ANY of these films make money let alone be wide releases by studios today. I don't think so. 

22 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

So by the end of weekend, we should have at least 100m people saw avatar2 teaser on big screen, assuming all countries have avatar 2 teaser attached to DS2

It’s not here in Uruguay sadly 

• Sad 2

31 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Meh? It was the highest-grossing film of all time in Mexico, both in LC and I believe in dollars. Mexico as a market has just grown immensely since 2009, from 170m yearly admissions to over 340m in 2019, over doubling in size.

It likely would've done even better in Mexico if the 3D infrastructure in 2009 was anywhere near what it is today, a point which is especially worth noting in the developing markets. I can't find any specific stats for Mexico, but in Brazil, for example, there were only 109 3D screens in 2009 compared to 1,833 in 2019.

Avatar's admissions with No Way Home's ticket prices already takes its gross to MX$715m. Account for the market literally doubling in size, and then on top of that the fact that Avatar 2 will probably have higher ticket prices than even No Way Home, and you'll see that there's significant room for growth even in dollar gross.

oh I misread it as only being the 16th highest grosser at the time, cause I pulled up the all time mexico list and avatar was at 30

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I've seen side by side of Neytiri in 1080p from the trailer and Avatar.

The difference is night and day, I'm not really sure if you're expecting 4D but this is hands down a major step forward in CGI characters. It's actually incredible what they've done.

I expect more live action component in the teaser since they took 1 year to shot live action part (8 months in 2019 and another 4 months across 2020) after finishing the motion capture parts. Although that 1 year was spent to shot for both A2 and A3, 6 months each is still quite a long production period since I believe most of the shooting take place in studio soundstage.  

1 hour ago, Borobudur said:

I expect more live action component in the teaser since they took 1 year to shot live action part (8 months in 2019 and another 4 months across 2020) after finishing the motion capture parts. Although that 1 year was spent to shot for both A2 and A3, 6 months each is still quite a long production period since I believe most of the shooting take place in studio soundstage.  

They also had to shoot parts of A4 (the kids) as there is going to be a 6 year time leap forward. 

• Like 1

just saw the trailer in 4k

The lips and the hands look wonderful, beautiful even,  it all looked excellent but that's what really caught my eyes

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It worries me how it leaks so easy everywhere. Am I going to be able to watch Avatar 2 in 4k before I can even watch it in Cinema???

Maybe, but why would you want to? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It worries me how it leaks so easy everywhere. Am I going to be able to watch Avatar 2 in 4k before I can even watch it in Cinema???

I think that everyone wants to be the one that leaks it just shows the level of anticipation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hw64 said:

Avatar's admissions with No Way Home's ticket prices already takes its gross to MX$715m.

basically needs jurasic worlds type of admissions to do avatar's gross

i don't know how much interest the movie has here

even if it improves i don't see it be close to top 3

20 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Ok, I'm just gonna say it: Stop fucking advertising leaks

MODERATION:

He’s right.

No one cares how are you saw the footage. ;) 

just say you saw it and tell us your thoughts. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, Cap said:

MODERATION:

He’s right.

No one cares how are you saw the footage. ;) 

just say you saw it and tell us your thoughts. 

i mean... its atleast somewhat interesting I watched the footage in front of dr. stranged. Then left the cinema before the film started... maybe i'm wrong

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Reddroast said:

This guy gets it. 

Spectacular Visuals have become normal for Hollywood blockbusters.

I thnk Cameron is going to have give us a much better film in terms of writing and a stronger story if this film is going to come anywhere near the original in terms of box office.

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I thnk Cameron is going to have give us a much better film in terms of writing and a stronger story if this film is going to come anywhere near the original in terms of box office.

I don't think it needs to reinvent the wheel when it comes to Story, Avatar is a simple story well told, doesn't need to be anything else. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Says who, most CGI (espcially CGI characters)is far far from photoreal. Still a long way to go.

• Like 2