Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

9 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Seeing people do mental gymnastics in the weekend thread to try and downplay Avatar's success makes me laugh. I wonder what new mental tricks we'll see for trying to underplay A2 doing billies.

When trying to make Top Gun 2 look great in the 2nd weekend thread, you don't ever bring up Avatar's second weekend.

I think its not anti-avatar, they're just being really biased with their selection of stats

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Seeing people do mental gymnastics in the weekend thread to try and downplay Avatar's success makes me laugh. I wonder what new mental tricks we'll see for trying to underplay A2 doing billies.

It's not mental gymnastics, we've literally never seen anything like this before, ever.

For someone that acts like their shit don't stink because Avatar is the best and most amazing movie and has made more money than God, you sure take offense at another movie stealing just the tiniest crumb of attention away from Avatar.

You are a die hard fan of the biggest movie in the history of cinema that had one of the most impressive box office runs ever.

What more do you want??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Honest box office analysis and not mental gymnastics would be great.

The only person not being honest is yourself.  

They are comparing, in their minds, the two best second weekends.  Avatar, a whole-ass thirteen years later, is the one they are comparing it too!  How is this bad??  "Hey guys, which movie has the more amazing weekend?  This amazing weekend or this other amazing weekend?"  If the first thing in their mind is how does it compare to Avatar in the impressive box office department, *shouts through cupped hands* THAT'S THE OPPOSITE OF AN INSULT.

The only person doing mental gymnastics is yourself.  

Top Gun opened on a holiday weekend and had $19m in early shows and still managed to have the single best drop for any of the 65 movies that have made $100m or more opening weekend.  And it's underestimated!  It will get better tomorrow with the final number!  We have literally never seen anything like this before and probably never will.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Giant wall of cope.

Avatar had a -1.8% drop. Simple as. Objectively superior to the drop of TGM.  I'm very happy it's doing this well - in fact I was in the club that said it would do better than MCU 28.

You're starting to sound more like Dud Wang now. Maybe you've been reading too many of his posts.

• Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Avatar had a -1.8% drop. Simple as. Objectively superior to the drop of TGM.  I'm very happy it's doing this well - in fact I was in the club that said it would do better than MCU 28.

You're starting to sound more like Dud Wang now. Maybe you've been reading too many of his posts.

Oh, well then if you only care about the objective truth then Avatar only has the 22nd best second weekend drop.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

Oh, well then if you only care about the objective truth then Avatar only has the 22nd best second weekend drop.  

That's more like it. I wouldn't have bat an eye at anyone saying TGS had the greatest second weekend.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

How is this calculated?

I'm running a script which I've fed a list of around 70 uploads of the teaser across various different channels. The script polls YouTube every so often and queries how many views each upload has.

I can post a full list of the videos and their views if anyone's interested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I don’t have any dog in this fight, but in a weird way, I do feel like the Avatar franchise is kind of like the anti-Top Gun. The Top Gun movies are all about glorifying the military, while this franchise has a very clear message against imperialism and corporate greed. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Some extra billies.

well said

15 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Highest per movie average of any franchise too the second the sequel makes a dollar.

that's hilariously true.

$1.4b minimum franchise average

• Like 1

The day Avatar is included in wiki as a  BO franchise is the day I see everything one coming down and kneeling before the KING.

Sad we won't be seeing any other franchise doing the same until 2070. :hahaha:

• Haha 2

The last time I checked there are seven days in a week....that being said it was great to see TG Maverick at the theatre and very nice to see an older demographic turning out. Some movies are just meant to be seen on the best/biggest screen possible and this is one of them. Way of Water will be another. 

Dec 18-24: $137,094,001

Dec 25-31: $146,530,209

Jan 1-7: $96,916,087

Jan 8-14: $69,926,708

Jan 15-21: $66,330,413

TG - Maverick - 2022

May 27-Jun 2: $205,604,011

Jun 3-9: $123,500,000 (rough estimate down 40%)

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, hw64 said:

I'm running a script which I've fed a list of around 70 uploads of the teaser across various different channels. The script polls YouTube every so often and queries how many views each upload has.

I can post a full list of the videos and their views if anyone's interested.

That's awesome!

Did you add in the most recent uploads in the past few days, like the IMAX 4K one, and the Kinocheck 4K one? They both seem to be doing quite well. I'm amazed that there is that much momentum in views after this many days, a sign for good things to come!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

The last time I checked there are seven days in a week....that being said it was great to see TG Maverick at the theatre and very nice to see an older demographic turning out. Some movies are just meant to be seen on the best/biggest screen possible and this is one of them. Way of Water will be another. 

Dec 18-24: $137,094,001

Dec 25-31: $146,530,209

Jan 1-7: $96,916,087

Jan 8-14: $69,926,708

Jan 15-21: $66,330,413

TG - Maverick - 2022

May 27-Jun 2: $205,604,011

Jun 3-9: $123,500,000 (rough estimate down 40%)

I really don't want to start any debate here but as seen from the data it will be interesting to see 3rd week BO collections. 

Which will be consumed by Dinos

Edited by Lothar
  • Like 1