Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

"You're not in Kansas anymore!"

"Shut your pie hole!"

"Or what, Ranger Rick? You gonna shoot me?"

"That is one big damn tree!"

"You throw a stick in the air around here it falls on some sacred fern, for Christ's sake!"

"They're just pissing on us without even giving us the courtesy of calling it rain." (Sigourney :wub: )

"Jake! Listen to me! You're not used to your avatar body. This is dangerous!

"This is great!"

"Let's dance!"

"This is our land!"

Not quotable? Give me a break...

Posted Image

• Like 1

Oh, I'm sure there would've been... but that doesn't make it right. :)

WWW threads have always had more to do with personal expectations than studio projections. An RIPD WWW thread won't draw much interest because everyone expected it to bomb and it fulfilled those predictions.

Edited by tribefan695

Aliens

Terminator 2

I see a pattern here.

If AVATAR 2 performed, critics-wise and financially, like Cameron's two sequels, the internet will implode with anti-Cameron sentiment. What will the haters' rallying cry be this time? We all know the "It's not original and the story sucks and it's big because of the visuals" that the detractors use for the first one. What will the excuse be if the sequel is, gasp, better and bigger????

• Like 2

So when A2 grosses "only" 450m domestically, is someone gonna start a WWW thread?

I suppse if A2 grosses more than A1, a WWW thread is gonna happen as well, like "Hold on, we thought we knew boxoffice and we knew it was not going to make more than the first. What's going on here What went wrong with our boxoffice knowledge?"

• Like 3

If AVATAR 2 performed, critics-wise and financially, like Cameron's two sequels, the internet will implode with anti-Cameron sentiment. What will the haters' rallying cry be this time? We all know the "It's not original and the story sucks and it's big because of the visuals" that the detractors use for the first one. What will the excuse be if the sequel is, gasp, better and bigger????

If Cameron crafts one hell of a story this time delivering the T2 of his trilogy with Avatar's visuals cranked up (And we know he can build and expand exponentially from a simple premise for the story to take new and exciting directions. Remember Abyss as well, his underrated gem, if you can't believe that he can do something brilliant thematically linking intimacy and bigger than life events that is not derivative), there will be an Armageddon on the internet to shut its loud and bratty mouth for ages. All the haters will have to bow down to the King for ever doubting him once again.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

Avatar 2 could suck and James Cameron will still be one of the best film-makers out there. Haters really don't have an argument to begin with, but its funny to watch them try. Edited by Jessie

Everyone will go see it anyway, even the haters. 

especially the haters. Haters are actually the biggest contributors. They see something over and over so they can nitpick to death thinking it's so cool to rip apart movies that GA loves.

My pet peeve was their constant harping on "unobtanium" even though that's the real-life term for new metals. I guess they would prefer some cheesy made-up name.

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 3

especially the haters. Haters are actually the biggest contributors. They see something over and over so they can nitpick to death thinking it's so cool to rip apart movies that GA loves.

My pet peeve was their constant harping on "unobtanium" even though that's the real-life term for new metals. I guess they would prefer some cheesy made-up name.

OMG, QFT!!!  I remember that. And I remember their constant making up of titles that contained elements of all the titles that AVATAR allegedly ripped off. They really thought that they were being clever and witty because they said things like "Pocahontas Dances with Ferngully on the Last Rainforest."  LMAO!!!! And they were all repeating the same shit, and all thinking "I am so clever" at the same time.  Pathetic (yet funny).

I totally bow to Cameron for addressing Thundersmurfs and Dances with Smurfs with charm and wit on TV. Without naming any names, other directors get cold feet when facing criticism from fanboy jihadists. Avatar had tons of problems with buzz prior to release due to polarizing reception of 3D special, the look of Na'Vi etc. But Cameron worked his butt off explaining on talk shows,etc and addressing concerns and it paid off. Unlike certain other movie that was supposed to change the game with new tech but shat its pants and partially pulled the plug on inovation the moment new tech got mixed WOM. There was no way that Cameron would scrap 3D release or give it a limited run just because Devin :worthy: and associates said it looked like a video game or soap opera or whatever.

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

OMG, QFT!!!  I remember that. And I remember their constant making up of titles that contained elements of all the titles that AVATAR allegedly ripped off. They really thought that they were being clever and witty because they said things like "Pocahontas Dances with Ferngully on the Last Rainforest."  LMAO!!!! And they were all repeating the same shit, and all thinking "I am so clever" at the same time.  Pathetic (yet funny).

You know what? It's James Cameron himself that dubbed Avatar as Dance With Wolves in space to sell the movie in interviews during his promotion tour in august 2009 more than four months before release.

And then, AFTER the movie was released, there were some dumbasses fanboys, that thought they were more clever than the mass discovering something no one but them had ever found out of course, were all like "LOL nobody (except me) saw that Avatar sucks because it's just Dance With Wolves in space, man!"

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

I used to visit the Bendis board, and the amount of vitriol that the Bendis fanboys threw at AVATAR was...well, epic. Even Bendis himself posted a long ass post which was basically a string of "clever" putdowns to the film. Of course, they all saw the film, which added to the box office... LOL