Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

13 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Isn't it 1B Budget for all 4? 

That's 250M per movie, he's fine 

But yeah around 2B seems right to me

Only the accountants & management at Lightstorm/20th-Disney know the true numbers. $1 Billion gets thrown around as the budget package number for all four movies but I'm sure it's more heavily weighted on the first two due to development costs, R&D, asset development etc...etc....

I simply want them to make enough money to immediately green light A4 & 5. We'll get the answer to that question before the end of the year.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Exactly.  You folks shouldn't get so tied up in exactly what money was spent how.  Just know that Cameron is efficient where he needs to be, spends where he needs to, and of course people trust him at this point to deliver.  And notice that the Walt Disney studio logo does *not* appear on the trailer(s) for AVATAR -- you can make an educated guess whose choice that was...  

That's because all 20th Century Studios movies don't have the Disney logo in front of them. Free Guy doesn't have it, The Last Duel doesn't have it, Prey doesn't have it, even Home Sweet Home Alone doesn't have it. It's the same thing that's done with Marvel and Lucasfilm. James Cameron didn't make any choice, and I doubt Shawn Levy or whoever demanded the Disney logo stay away from his movie.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Has the new trailer been playing in theaters or will it drop with WF?

It's not in cinemas as of today, and we know it's definitely going to be in cinemas for WF.

It's possible it's in cinemas tomorrow or thursday I guess

1 hour ago, Eric Killmonger said:

That's because all 20th Century Studios movies don't have the Disney logo in front of them. Free Guy doesn't have it, The Last Duel doesn't have it, Prey doesn't have it, even Home Sweet Home Alone doesn't have it. It's the same thing that's done with Marvel and Lucasfilm. James Cameron didn't make any choice, and I doubt Shawn Levy or whoever demanded the Disney logo stay away from his movie.

I think Cameron has plenty of say in how his movies are marketed.  But it doesn't mean they listen to everything.  And I'm simply attempting to counterpoint those who consistently refer to Disney as a core-figure-head here -- the fact that they're at least letting "20th Century Pictures" still exist on its own as a label is a nice thing...but I'm not sure how long it will last. 

33 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I think Cameron has plenty of say in how his movies are marketed.  But it doesn't mean they listen to everything.  And I'm simply attempting to counterpoint those who consistently refer to Disney as a core-figure-head here -- the fact that they're at least letting "20th Century Pictures" still exist on its own as a label is a nice thing...but I'm not sure how long it will last. 

If they haven’t gotten rid of it yet, I see no reason to get rid of it in the near future. Disney probably wants it to be their new Touchstone. 

I woul;dnt worry too much about Cameron's comments. He's already filmed 3, supposedly a lot of 4, and according to Stephen Lang in an interview he's even shot the finale to 5.

So yeah i'm pretty sure we will get 4 and 5, as long as 2 and 3 do well.

Cameron is probably after more money for something and is trying to scare Disney a bit. Apparently he did similar stuff while making Titanic to get more money to finish the film.

4 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

Too much focus on relationship and emotions with his brand of dialogues could backfire. Everyone is going into this expecting amazing CGI and visuals with loads of awesome action set pieces. I hope there will be enough action sequences or else movie will be in trouble. 

The trailers so far have also focused too much on visual and emotion with not much action. Would be a huge mistake if movie lacks action scenes. No one wants to watch boring family drama of blue humanoids.

Edited by marveldcfox

3 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Too much focus on relationship and emotions with his brand of dialogues could backfire. Everyone is going into this expecting amazing CGI and visuals with loads of awesome action set pieces. I hope there will be enough action sequences or else movie will be in trouble. 

The trailers so far have also focused too much on visual and emotion with not much action. Would be a huge mistake if movie lacks action scenes. No one wants to watch boring family drama of blue humanoids.

You say that as if Titanic doesn’t exist.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's not that much action on the first movie as well, but the final hour is epic and everyone loved it.

It's a 190 minutes sequel, i'm sure he will deliver a huge climax in the final hour. I'm fine If he's using the other 2 hours to development, it's one of the main complains about the first one (and to make a big franchise he really needs stronger characters). 

And while i do agreed about his dialogues, the way he work with emotions is always very genuine and universal, it can work here if he keeps this aproach.

I'm looking forward to what will clearly be an awesome visual experience, however after watching the trailer it feels uncanny without any live action environments or characters. Almost like it may as well be an animated film. Anyone else feel this way?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

Titanic had real human beings with good looking leads and great score. That and the last 1-1.5 hr was brilliant. It was set in real world.

You think Sci-fi story with aliens don't need that? The key reason most sci-fi / fantasy movie misfired is they had no humanism instead of CGI. 

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

You apparently didn't even read Cameron's full comments.  Read his comments again about "family drama."  He knows what he is doing.  The only thing that's left to see is if contemporary audiences still respond to this universe the way they did before, as he's also noted.

Edited by Macleod