Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

I have no experience with the format at all but it just seems like such an awful idea.

In theory it's a good idea, and I was excited to try it the first time around. But the reality is disappointing. Really low quality side screen projection, usage at inconsistent and unusual times, and having fire exit signs in the middle of the screens just served to make a disappointing and distracting experience. 

53 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Its pretty funny seeing none thread regulars coming into the thread for the first time in months, telling us to calm down etc, when the regulars are more than calm with most of us keeping our lofty predictions.

It's a bit bizarre to be honest.🤣

The same thing happened with Wakanda Forever. A bit of concern, a bit of negative energy, and you get people going CALM DOWWWWN!!

30 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Screen X is always to be avoided. Regal/Cineworld need to find a way to sever that contract and turn these back in to normal screens ASAP. 

They already use them as normal screens from time to time, I saw a regular showing of ‘X’ in one of Cineworld’s Screen X screens earlier this year (the film programmer must’ve had a laugh to themselves when they put it in that screen).

11 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

They already use them as normal screens from time to time, I saw a regular showing of ‘X’ in one of Cineworld’s Screen X screens earlier this year (the film programmer must’ve had a laugh to themselves when they put it in that screen).

I saw The Father in one last year 🤣 but it should just be turned back in to a regular screen anyway. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Verrows said:

For anyone who has seen it, how is Simon Franglen's score?

Horner's material is used liberally and elevates the material accordingly whereas the "new" cues are not particularly memorable (typical generic action movie stuff). Overall, the score is very similar to the original, which works for the film. It's not like the latter Potter films or The Matrix 4 that re-used one or two themes but were otherwise their own thing (for better or worse). It's very deliberately Horner-esque - though I can't help but wonder how Horner himself would've built on the foundation he laid.

To be honest, I expected more from Franglen after hearing the ethereal music for the teaser trailer, which apparently was his. Obviously the expectation was that he would reprise the original's various themes, but I was hoping he'd take it a step further and deliver something a bit more interesting. Then again, it's a lot to take in on a first viewing. Maybe the score will hold up better on its own or on repeat viewings. 

Edited by daftcat
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Verrows said:

For anyone who has seen it, how is Simon Franglen's score?

Apparently if you call a Disney corporate phone number it’s the hold music of you want to hear it.

Edited by AJG

18 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Yeah, pretty telling that Avatar 2 is doing great with awards groups so far, yet not one has nominated it for Score. We'll get 'em next time.

I'm not sure what there would be to even nominate, to be honest. Not to be completely reductive, but a lot of it really is just the first film re-arranged. 

A good analogue is Chamber of Secrets - it's technically a John Williams score, but due to scheduling conflicts, a bunch of the heavy lifting was handled by William Ross (who receives a conducting credit). The result is an admirable effort that is very similar to the first film, apart from a new cue here and there. 

Compare this to Prisoner of Azkaban, which had Williams back in full force. He built on his motif's for the first film and created something distinct yet equally great. The result was the franchise's second (and last) Oscar nom for original score. 

In Avatar's case, they obviously can't bring Horner back, so Franglen does his best to maintain the musical continuity. Moving forward, I do wonder if Cameron would be better off going with a somewhat more distinctive talent (James Newton Howard would be a good fit), even if it meant relying less on some of Horner's original themes. 

Edited by daftcat

2 hours ago, stuart360 said:

Its pretty funny seeing none thread regulars coming into the thread for the first time in months, telling us to calm down etc, when the regulars are more than calm with most of us keeping our lofty predictions.

It's a bit bizarre to be honest.🤣

They feeling nervous thStuart.. No way to guage Avatar 2.... But we know  the absolute domination of Pretender films is coming... I feel the OW will be very very huge.. Seen folks buying 5 tickets buy going straight to the 4DX and Imax places when Im in the city..

And yep none of us are feeling worrried about our Lofty Predicts, its the regulars yelling Doom it looks like.

LOL very very Bizzarre Brother Stewart........ Maybe they too are sensing that 900-1B Domestic and 3B-3.5B+ WW 

is coming😅,... The Fear is Real of Pandorians my brother... The Fear is Real