Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

12 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Yep might be Even less but definitely 1.1-1.2b sounds about right..They likely are already green lighting  part 4 right now.

I personaly think 4 and 5 were happening anyway. In fact i even read anarticle that Cameron was starting filming again in Jan, and that was before we even had any numbers for A2.

We have to rememebr Jim was given his 1bil for the sequels long ago, and i'm sure he will need more money as the 1bil was supposed to be for 3 sequels until Cameron split A2's script into 2 movies.

Still the majority of the outlay had already been made long ago.

Worst case scenario probably would of been if A2 and A3 underperformed (say 800-1bil each), Disney may of just saved 4 and 5 for Disney Plus, and what a hook that would of been for subscribers!.

Edited by stuart360

36 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

$460m reported budget + $200m marketing (guess) = $660m = $1.2b breakeven point.

should probably find a way to fit Cameron's hundreds of millions-or-so worth of participations into that

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

1 hour ago, stuart360 said:

I personaly think 4 and 5 were happening anyway. In fact i even read anarticle that Cameron was starting filming again in Jan, and that was before we even had any numbers for A2.

We have to rememebr Jim was given his 1bil for the sequels long ago, and i'm sure he will need more money as the 1bil was supposed to be for 3 sequels until Cameron split A2's script into 2 movies.

Worst case scenario probably would of been if A2 and A3 underperformed (say 800-1bil each), Disney may of just saved 4 and 5 for Disney Plus, and what a hook that would of been for subscribers!.

Given Cameron's love for the theatrical experience there is no way in hell he would do 4&5 for Disney Plus!

Just now, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Given Cameron's love for the theatrical experience there is no way in hell he would do 4&5 for Disney Plus!

Yeah, plus the budgets would take a severe slashing and it’d take a very noticeable nosedive visually. I imagine he’d call it quits and walk away before he did that.

6 hours ago, danziger said:

TWOW will end up so incredibly successful I see no way (barring aforementioned external events) Disney waits that long, they'll want Cameron back filming 4 asap, and probably 5 simultaneously to save money just as with 2 & 3. Just a question imo of whether Cameron wants to make that commitment at his age. 

4 already started filming, and parts of 5 were already filmed

1 minute ago, danziger said:

So with the 2nd movie still raking in $100m per day, Avatar has surpassed the entire franchises of: The Hunger Games, Ice Age, Toy Story, Twilight, Shrek and Mission: Impossible: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_series

Next up: Pirates of the Caribbean

It'll make it to Transformers on that list. 

3 hours ago, stuart360 said:

I personaly think 4 and 5 were happening anyway. In fact i even read an article that Cameron was starting filming again in Jan, and that was before we even had any numbers for A2.

I can verify from a friend who's working on these productions that they go back to work in January...but for which Avatar movie, I'm not sure! 😁 (And probably couldn't say, even if I knew!) 

Edited by Macleod

4 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

should probably find a way to fit Cameron's hundreds of millions-or-so worth of participations into that

It could be quite significant, would not fall if he still has those 20% maybe even 30% deal, but those rules of thumb tend to include a good deal of participation going on.

3 hours ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Indeed! Difficult to guess without details.

If he had a 10% first dollar gross it would be $1.32b.

It is a bit complicated, but usually gross dollar is somewhat from (almost) the distributor revenues, there usually still some of the tops leaved but you can think of, if a movie make 1 billion at the world box office and that 430 millions is going to the studio, if you have 10% of the gross you get 43 millions, you do not get points at the gate from money studio do not see.

For someone like Cameron he probably get points on everything, if they sales a soundtrack, on the D+ deal, make a video games deal or an attraction park, the box office gross point would not be specially special.

5 hours ago, stuart360 said:

Hah hah hah. That definitely would light up some.smiles man. I Personally wish we had imax or 4dx places to go see avatar 1-2 on weekends man. I'd be there any chance I want to escape reality for a min and so would alot of Avatar fans. Heh

You may definitely be right as we know it can't be hard for Cameron to get money from any studio at this point. Definitely looks like 4 will be a go. 5 likely once Avatar 3 makes that pure profit almost for Cameron and the studio.