Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

It's going to be kind of hilarious if the next project James Cameron greenlights ends up being something original after all this time cockteasing Avatar 2.

No hes turned down mega deals from other studios that he could have fit in with avatar and all sorts of films to do at Fox Mango.

James says there is no Battle Angel , no side production deals.. .Hes just in the Avatar business..LOL

I love it and since his networth will soon jump to 2 billion Plus dollars can you blame him! :)..

Somehow Im pretty sure we Get the first Avatar sequel between Dec 2016 and 2017.. The way they are doing everything is magnificent. I hope they plan the next breakthroughs in emmersing the audience completely with the same zeal and we will have another BO miracle. :)

I think they're referring to avatar 2+ not getting to the $$$$ of avatar.

Highly unlikely when Avatar one was in over 200% less 3D theaters than Hp7.2 and Avengers and still made 2B OS, lol.

Expect 500+M to 1B+ more  when it gets the same amount of 3D and 4K theaters and is allowed to spann out to this far bigger OS BO market playground  now. Domestically his films average between 20-10x multipliers and giving  that most expect Avatar to make the first domestic 130-180M OW and have a multiplier of 5.8-8x...We may make some people faint again in this forum :).

Japan and China alone will yield Avatar 2 up to 600+M  USD..Insane. :) The first one got almost 500M from these same 2 territorries when they were much smaller in BO playing field.. Now some predict James Can get 400+ M in China alone.

I cant see this film getting much less than 650 domestic as long as its good and the weather condtions are not crazy. Too many units sold on HV domestically for anything less than jaw dropping numbers. OS Im pretty sure its a near lock to bust up Avatar 1.. Its the domestic envelope that is interesting.

Edited by Superman001

I was but a twinkle in my dad's eye when Avatar came out. 

I dont see how you think this movie isnt getting made when James says he should easily be able to complete up to 2 films out of the 3 by 2016.  They got the technology down pat and now just have to expand on it...If there is a delay I dont think we go beyond 2017 Dec.

Highly unlikely when Avatar one was in over 200% less 3D theaters than Hp7.2 and Avengers and still made 2B OS, lol.

Expect 500+M to 1B+ more  when it gets the same amount of 3D and 4K theaters and is allowed to spann out to this far bigger OS BO market playground  now. Domestically his films average between 20-10x multipliers and giving  that most expect Avatar to make the first domestic 130-180M OW and have a multiplier of 5.8-8x...We may make some people faint again in this forum :).

Japan and China alone will yield Avatar 2 up to 600+M  USD..Insane. :) The first one got almost 500M from these same 2 territorries when they were much smaller in BO playing field.. Now some predict James Can get 400+ M in China alone.

I cant see this film getting much less than 650 domestic as long as its good and the weather condtions are not crazy. Too many units sold on HV domestically for anything less than jaw dropping numbers. OS Im pretty sure its a near lock to bust up Avatar 1.. Its the domestic envelope that is interesting.

I honestly don't think the expanded market is gonna benefit A2 much, since the original film already overperformed to such a ridiculous degree (over 2X any non-Cameron movie). Look at Titanic. It came out before OS markets reached the level they are at now, but if you factor in 12 years of inflation and 3D, it probably sold about as many tickets outside NA as Avatar. Cameron movies have a ceiling like any other movie. Their ceilings are just a billion or two more than most movies. :)

Now, A2 will benefit from more 3D screens, but that will be offset by audience apathy with the format, especially in western countries. So I think we're looking at around 550m domestic and 2.1b WW. Only the loonies would be disappointed by those numbers.

We could be looking at first 100+ pre-Christmas release. Everything after that depends on what James Cameron does this time.

So basically 105 / 537 or 467, overseas it should make a killing, might even make a billion.

No way does this hit 100M+ if Star Wars doesn't

Finished watching "The Abyss" special edition.  Haven't seen it in years but the film held up so well 25 years later.  Clearly James most under-rated film.  Can't wait to see the oceans of Pandora as James did a great job taking me to the bottom of the ocean in that film and he clearly has a love for the ocean. 

Finished watching "The Abyss" special edition.  Haven't seen it in years but the film held up so well 25 years later.  Clearly James most under-rated film.  Can't wait to see the oceans of Pandora as James did a great job taking me to the bottom of the ocean in that film and he clearly has a love for the ocean. 

Yeah, how about giving Michael Biehn a role in the seuqels.

Edited by vc2002

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sigourney-weaver-avatar-sequels-as-710546

So Signourey Weaver is back as a different character this time. Since Grace is alive in the Avatar internet I'm assuming it'll be like a spiritual form or a different being that takes her form.

Edited by Fancyarcher

I've always wondered what would happen to these kinds of movies, the ones that have multiple sequels all shot at once, if the first (or second in Avatar's case) one bombed. Avatar 2 won't, but I think it'll eventually happen to some series of films.

Aside from an unholy amount of perspiration coming from the studio heads, of course.

I've always wondered what would happen to these kinds of movies, the ones that have multiple sequels all shot at once, if the first (or second in Avatar's case) one bombed. Avatar 2 won't, but I think it'll eventually happen to some series of films.

Aside from an unholy amount of perspiration coming from the studio heads, of course.

They shoot sequels all at once when the original film is wildly successful and when that happens, the second one doesn't bomb. There is no precedent for that. 

Then I'm Delusional cause no way this makes 3-5B WW Like Kal is predicting.. That's just tossing numbers around for the sake of doing so without any rhyme or reason as to exactly HOW much $$$$$ that really is...

Lol a ton of people said about titanic and Avatar 1.... LOL I think your just being too much of a marvel fanboy again  BKB.

Avengers had 3 films building it up and way more screens than Avatar 1 and it failed  miserably to make a dent in James Camerons Masterpiece.

lol. Now that Avatar has more room to operate and should be  on nearly the  same amount of screens as Avengers 1.

Its very likely to cross 3 B ww, can it make my 3.5 or others 3.8B only time will tell

One thing for sure with Avengers horrible HV boxoffice  compared to Avatars nearly 50+ M units sold WW..

We all know whats going to happen when James Camerons Avatar 2 roles in on 2016

If any one of you think that this will make like a billion less than the first one, you're delusional. 

They are mostly Avengers loonies and SWs loonies and they are going to get a rude awakening when Avatar 2 beats their films by at least 1.5 billion gap Ron.

Most dont think Avatar will make less than 2.5B and there are some thinking it could yield up to 4B WW. Now that would be crazy

Im predicting 3.5B WW :).  830M Domestic and 2.7B OS :)