Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Then why were you bringing Sherlock Holmes into this?

As an example where two movies can co-exist, but pointless seeing as we have no idea when VIII will be released.

I thought you were referring to this post:

It will go up against the first SW spinoff then.

If you meant VIII wasn't clear because VIII is for 2017 with no month set and thought you meant the spinoff. Meaning 2016 and missed the news of Avatar 2 for December 2017.

Right, I would contend though that the trope was the base of any said character and both examples craft a solid character around that.

Avatar doesn't have characters that really grab you, they are simply the trope and it's transparent to the point of being embarrassing.

I, and others, do contend and rightfully so, that Avatar was marketed and sold on it's visual concept. It delivered on that, but that is why it made the money it did. I never spoke to anyone in the months during or after it's initial release that focused on the characters, it was always about what was happening around or to them in any given scene via the 3-D. So, yes, it can and did make it's $2B on being eye candy...and that's alright...for that film, cause it was marketed as such.

At present we are supposed to believe there is a wide enough interest in the poorly written characters that will alone cause people to show up for Avatar 2. I'm not seeing that.

You re cute.

• Like 1

At least Cameron takes its time... Look what a tight schedule and not enough time for re-structuring (and time after the director change) did to the Hobbits.

Would be hilarious though if after a all this build up already the second one would suck.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere

As an example where two movies can co-exist, but pointless seeing as we have no idea when VIII will be released.

I thought you were referring to this post:

If you meant VIII wasn't clear because VIII is for 2017 with no month set and thought you meant the spinoff. Meaning 2016 and missed the news of Avatar 2 for December 2017.

Doh,  you're right.  Episode VIII then.  That will be like two black holes colliding. Who knows what'll happen. 

(I can't see Cameron or Disney budging).

• Like 1

He needs to stop exploring deepsea mollusk buttholes and make these movies.

I don't care how frivolous it seems, do NOT knock scientific exploration. A hundred years from now it may very well be what Cameron's legacy is.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

Right, I would contend though that the trope was the base of any said character and both examples craft a solid character around that.

Avatar doesn't have characters that really grab you, they are simply the trope and it's transparent to the point of being embarrassing.

I, and others, do contend and rightfully so, that Avatar was marketed and sold on it's visual concept. It delivered on that, but that is why it made the money it did. I never spoke to anyone in the months during or after it's initial release that focused on the characters, it was always about what was happening around or to them in any given scene via the 3-D. So, yes, it can and did make it's $2B on being eye candy...and that's alright...for that film, cause it was marketed as such.

At present we are supposed to believe there is a wide enough interest in the poorly written characters that will alone cause people to show up for Avatar 2. I'm not seeing that. 

No. The audience connected to the characters. Movies don't make these insane amounts just with eye candy.

It's funny that Cameron always gets these dectractors, these same people that put movies like Avengers on a pedestal, shallow action spectacles.

• Like 2

I don't care how frivolous it seems, do NOT knock scientific exploration. A hundred years from now it may very well be what Cameron's legacy is.

There are plenty of Jacques Costeau wannabes out there. Those discoveries will get made. I want James Cameron to make movies. Oceanographers can do the research he's doing but they can't make movies like he can.

There is nothing to be gained from deep-sea exploration anyway. It's outerspace where we need to focus, like Elon Musk.