Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

17 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Now you do. :) 

The making of on the Blu Ray is so nerdy, I am not sure I still understand well the technical aspects of the Avatar pipeline, I understood the main gist of it but the details are still very nerdy.

The whole section with the editors dear Lord ...

The bit that really surprised me is when we see Cameron with his virtual camera directing the movie for weeks AFTER principal photography so it seems he could re-do the takes with absolute no limitations, angles, framing, etc

That making of was like a NASA documentary.

Edited by The Futurist

24 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The making of on the Blu Ray is so nerdy, I am not sure I still understand well the technical aspects of the Avatar pipeline, I understood the main gist of it but the details are still very nerdy.

The whole section with the editors dear Lord ...

The bit that really surprised me is when we see Cameron with his virtual camera directing the movie for weeks AFTER principal photography so it seems he could re-do the takes with absolute no limitations, angles, framing, etc

That making of was like a NASA documentary.

I'm ashamed not to have watched it, now I know what I'm doing tonight. I've watched Aliens and T2, some titanic segments.

On 12/29/2015 at 1:20 PM, Kalel009Shel said:

Lol.  Then I win and silly baumerfett bows before king avatar 2. Lol slot of you thought  avtr one would flop and rots would beat titanic ww. Not a GD day to be against the kal and followers of home tree

LOL at the rate this is going, I will have my first grandkid by the time AVATAR 2 is released (and I don't even have kids yet!!!)

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

What is the current stated start of production? Sometime fairly soon I'd guess to make even a Dec 2017 release what with all the f/x needed. 

As Tele's said before, the nature of mocap means that the production schedule could be a lot less than you'd expect from the point that they start shooting. They can shoot a lot faster and the post-production is going on at the same time. At least in the case of this film, they've also already had an extremely long pre-production cycle to iron a lot of things out.

There are big budget films that don't have the mocap advantages that can get rolling from shoot date to release in under a year. There's plenty of time for Avatar 2.

• Like 2

I'm just hoping to hear some time this year that the scripts are finally done. As I mentioned earlier, shortly before his death James Horner said Cameron had "four sequels script-wise" and was trying to cut that down to three. He said it about 15:45 into this interview. But warning, it's a very sad watch in retrospect. :(

Forbes has written an article on how Avatar grossed so much money but still has no 'cultural footprint'.

However, rather than being a critique of the film, it argues that Hollywood learnt the wrong lessons from its success by ignoring the potential of new franchises and focusing only on the money-grab of 3D:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/12/18/avatar-became-the-highest-grossing-film-of-all-time-while-leaving-no-pop-culture-footprint/

Edited by Hatebox

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Titanic had a similar initial backlash and people eventually came around on that one.

Woah. Titanic had a backlash (like any mega-hit), but it had far more passionate fans from the start and its cultural impact was (is) FAAAR greater than Avatar. No contest.

• Like 2

No one with a Y chromosome would admit to unironically liking that movie in the early 00s. Yeah, people quoted its lines but almost always as a joke.

Considering that sequels have always been Cameron's plan for this property you just can't accurately assess its cultural status until you see the whole picture. I mean, now you can't think of Star Wars without "No, I am your father"

• Like 1