Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

The claim that the hobbit looked 'cheap' because of 48fps is wrong, it looked cheap at 24 as well, because the CGI was excessive and looked worse than the LOTR trilogy. Too many of the scenes looked like they were filmed on a small set with a green screen 2ft behind the actors.. because they were.

On 4/16/2016 at 5:11 PM, vc2002 said:

There's no single person bigger than SW, not even Lucas himself.

cameron has more impact on audiences than any sws film though. The avatar films will surpass sws at the bo and in critic praise. Time remains to be seen if fox and cameron can match the merchandise side of the force. That part is most impressive! 

“It’s really all one big production,” says Cameron. “It’s more the way you would shoot a miniseries. So we’ll be shooting across all [four films] simultaneously. So Monday I might be doing a scene from Movie Four, and Tuesday I’m doing a scene from Movie One. … We’re working across, essentially, eight hours of story. It’s going to be a big challenge to keep it all fixed in our minds, exactly where we are, across that story arc at any given point… It’s a saga. It’s like doing all three ‘Godfather’ films at the same time.”

---

“On the new ‘Avatar’ films, I’m actually going to shoot more real-world stuff,” Cameron continues. “It may only be there as an example from which we then generate CG, or we may actually integrate some of those photographic elements. But I want more photography.”

---

don’t want to land on the same date as one of the ‘Star Wars’ sequels. That wouldn’t be fair to them,” Cameron laughs. “No, that’s just good business. I don’t want to go head-to-head with ‘Star Wars’. That would be stupid. And hopefully they won’t want to go head-to-head with us.”

• Like 6

So, he's basically taking the approach Peter Jackson did with LOTR (and there are other examples as well.) Makes sense -- a lot of times we use "back-to-back" to mean "concurrently", but they're two different concepts. And likewise, shooting a lot of real-world examples either as plates or as direct reference is a very common technique -- the "Firestorm sequence" from FURY ROAD did this exact thing.

edit: actually, I wonder if his GODFATHER reference means the sequels will have more of a generational story. That makes a lot of sense... basically, this'll be the movie equivalent of a hard SF book series.

• Like 2

Listen, and understand! James Cameron is out there making his next movie! He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until all the box office records are broken once again.

You still don't get it, do you? He'll do it! That's what he does! That's ALL he does!

• Like 4

I feel the danger in shooting these 4 films concurrently is a risk. 

That the vault worth of money made on Avatar could possibly lead to a false sense of lasting fandom.

Sometimes the GA is on the same page as the internet movie boards, sometimes it's not.

If only the anecdotal folks don't show up and GA still cares, then they will have done well.

However, if the GA has lost it's luster with Avatar and doesn't care to come back like we see on FB threads, YouTube Comments and MSG boards then money could be lost. 

LOTR was a risk and it paid off, 3 films at once. No sure thing it would take off, built in book audience or not but it had generations of those. Avatar does not have generations of fans that grew up on the material. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kalel009Shel said:

cameron has more impact on audiences than any sws film though. The avatar films will surpass sws at the bo and in critic praise. Time remains to be seen if fox and cameron can match the merchandise side of the force. That part is most impressive! 

No, no single person in this business has more impact than A New Hope.

• Like 3