Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

it's officially called "the trump defense" if you want a shorthand for next time.

I don't know much about Trump, besides Cameron doesn't make speeches to rally the masses, he s just a hard working genius who is very demanding with everybody so I am not sure about the comparison here.

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

Exactly, so let this thread die until there is. 

I somehow resisted posting here for months. You all can too. 

I don't understand forum users getting annoyed about a thread being alive!

It's some sort of moral responsibility for users not to post in here otherwise it won't die? Just let people post where they like, relax!

For this thread specifically, it's for Avatar 2, the sequel to the highest grossing film of all time. It would be a great shame if it were removed (it won't die)

When he's a filmmaker who's constantly challenged the limits of the medium, and exceeded it throughout most of his work...I don't really care how much of an asshole he is...or how much people might think he is.  He's obviously doing something right.

• Like 2

At this point, I am half expecting that the next big annoncements is that he has written yet another screenplay and Avatar 2 will be postponed until he figures out how to do all 5 films at the same time.

Edited by Maitch

On 8/10/2016 at 6:42 PM, IronJimbo said:

No it's ok, everything Cameron relates to Avatar. This D.F.P.H gives you an insite into how he acts out of the public eye.

Thanks to this parking space sign we know he is still the big boss and will direct the Avatar sequels with an Iron fist, just as Jimbo always has.

No doubt about that jimbo and dajk. Busy doing ba work in city. But I'm back all?

About to do my first donation gold.rumours re to honour that bet from baumer. Hearing rumours of Jake developing abilities because if his connection to aiowa spirit and alot of water visual tour de force.

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Just wanna say I called a 10 year gap for A2 back when it was first announced shortly after Avatar's success. The hilarious thing is it might be even longer than the 10 years I predicted at this rate, lol. 

There is a very, very good chance that by the time Avatar 2 comes out, Lucasfilm and Disney will have released six different Star Wars films.  

I'm not going to doubt Cameron, but it is really hard to bat a perfect percentage, and unless he turns out something mindblowing this will have been one of the saddest wastes of the latter years in someone's career that I have seen.  

2 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

There is a very, very good chance that by the time Avatar 2 comes out, Lucasfilm and Disney will have released six different Star Wars films.  

I'm not going to doubt Cameron, but it is really hard to bat a perfect percentage, and unless he turns out something mindblowing this will have been one of the saddest wastes of the latter years in someone's career that I have seen.  

His percentage already isn't perfect (though which movie knocks it down varies depending on who you ask)... but why will it have been a sad waste? He's getting to create and play in this universe that he created, and that obviously brings him a lot of joy and passion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

His percentage already isn't perfect (though which movie knocks it down varies depending on who you ask)... but why will it have been a sad waste? He's getting to create and play in this universe that he created, and that obviously brings him a lot of joy and passion.

He is an artist with more to offer the world than having the last 30 years of his career be only this.  I think he could have been churning out a ton of iconic and great films.  

Is it what he wants to do?  Doesn't look like it and obviously that is his choice, but this is the guy who gave us The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Terminator 2, True Lies and Titanic over a 13 year period.  Then in the following 30 years he does Avatar..... and that is it.  

His choice, but sad that he could have easily directed another 10 films in different genres, and given his talent you likely get 7 or 8 ridiculously iconic films. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, nilephelan said:

He is an artist with more to offer the world than having the last 30 years of his career be only this.  I think he could have been churning out a ton of iconic and great films.  

Is it what he wants to do?  Doesn't look like it and obviously that is his choice, but this is the guy who gave us The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Terminator 2, True Lies and Titanic over a 13 year period.  Then in the following 30 years he does Avatar..... and that is it.  

His choice, but sad that he could have easily directed another 10 films in different genres, and given his talent you likely get 7 or 8 ridiculously iconic films. 

As a fan, I agree. (Though I really enjoyed AVATAR and I'm looking forward to the sequels). But -- as an occasional creator myself -- I can't really argue against a guy who's getting to have fun in a universe wholly created by him.

(Another reason why the 80s and 90s were the best is because we were getting a new Cameron movie every 2-3 years).

• Like 2

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, nilephelan said:

On the other hand, when you church out a ton of iconic and great films, you eventually become a Spielberg in the sense that while you can still make good movies, after a while it becomes more rare to release an actually iconic/great film. Churning out can lead to burn out.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

On the other hand, when you church out a ton of iconic and great films, you eventually become a Spielberg in the sense that while you can still make good movies, after a while it becomes more rare to release an actually iconic/great film. Churning out can lead to burn out.

I don't think Spielberg's burnt out or anything and don't think his audience is either, but like you said it is harder to churn out iconic films all the time.  With that said, I think the world is a better place with Spielberg directing and leaving society films like Munich, Lincoln, Bridge of Spies, and even War Horse and BFG.  

I think you can tell as Spielberg got older he likes a lot of smaller and more personal films.  It is going to be interesting seeing him direct big budget science fiction and another Indiana Jones movie.  

• Like 4

• Community Manager
42 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

I don't think Spielberg's burnt out or anything and don't think his audience is either, but like you said it is harder to churn out iconic films all the time.  With that said, I think the world is a better place with Spielberg directing and leaving society films like Munich, Lincoln, Bridge of Spies, and even War Horse and BFG.  

I think you can tell as Spielberg got older he likes a lot of smaller and more personal films.  It is going to be interesting seeing him direct big budget science fiction and another Indiana Jones movie.  

By "burnt out" I didn't mean Spielberg has been making bad movies. I will say Bridge of Spies and Lincoln are pretty damn fantastic. I have yet yet to see BFG but I think it'll be good. It's just that his name used to be a household name for a reason and now he isn't the draw he used to be. ;)