Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

5 minutes ago, KingoftheWorld said:

The history will remember James Cameron as one of the greatest artists, businessmen and explorers in all human history.

He would be remembered for single handedly saving the human race from exitinction due to climate change, instead he will be remembered for the legendary Avatar movie saga.

i5PBGCX.jpg

On July 26, 2016 at 5:53 PM, cannastop said:

OK, but Ready Player One comes out in March. It's nine months ahead.

Uh huh and a movie much larger (despite back to back

On August 29, 2016 at 2:56 PM, cannastop said:

The reason I'm doubting James Cameron is because it's Avatar 2, and not a new franchise. This is just going to be The Hobbit all over again.

Also, I'm resentful of anything that would raise movie ticket prices even higher, all for the sake of a gimmick

Those 3D glasses you put on, and the 3D technology/equipment itself - all cost money.  

On August 28, 2016 at 9:59 AM, EmpireCity said:

I don't bet against Cameron, but unless he has some wild new technology or innovation nobody knows about right now, I think he is finally in for a huge disappointment. 

I read that the sequels are already paid for. A portion of the profits were put into a fund which after several years have grown considerably.   

On August 28, 2016 at 9:59 AM, EmpireCity said:

I don't bet against Cameron, but unless he has some wild new technology or innovation nobody knows about right now, I think he is finally in for a huge disappointment. 

Agree

9 hours ago, lilmac said:

Also,

ILM > WETA 

WETA is known for groundbreaking wow moments (Gollum, Avatar) but the fx don't age as well as ILM (Jurassic Park). They are not as good as ILM. 

ILM worked on Avatar...

Also did you realize that the whole Pandora's rainforest and large scale exterior environments are full CGI creations by Weta? They still hold up because they are uncanny, people thought it was a real jungle whereinfact they shot 95% of the movie in an empty hangar. The blue aliens are not the only CGI in Avatar.

What Weta accomplished on the Apes reboot especially the second one is mindblowing and uncanny how seamless all those CG characters are blended into live action ("Maurice" comes to mind). More impressive than ILM's Hulk (no small feat) because the human eye is less forgiving when it comes to simulating real life creatures.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 4

Just now, Elessar said:

WETA has been dominating the last decade (and more) in terms of SFX breakthroughs. They have been the new "it" house you go to if you want to challenge the boundaries and for good reason.

Should use them for Passengers.

Here's some actual news from Cameron himself (no big reveals), I'm not too keen on the idea of 4 soap opera type films following the lives of Jake, Neytiri and their kids. It still sounds at least to me that the scripts are still not finalized and that there's a lot of work yet to be done before they start shooting. 

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/james-cameron-avatar-sequels-toruk-cirque-du-soleil-1201853970/

There are clues about the “Avatar” sequels to be found in “Toruk,” the Cirque du Soleil “Avatar” prequel that lands tonight at Barclays Center in Brooklyn for a four-night run. Let James Camerontell you what to look out for.

I love some of the costumes and hairstyles, so we might create a resonance there where you actually see some of the things that you see in ‘Toruk’ come into the design of the films,” said Cameron, the “Avatar” filmmaker who’s at work on a four-movie series of follow-ups. “We’ve got most of the sequel stuff already designed, but I like this idea of weaving back and forth between the two worlds, the live world and the film world.”

The plot of “Toruk,” which is named after the giant, dragon-like creatures seen in the film, won’t tie into the movies, Cameron added — but there’s some unexpected overlap there nonetheless. “The storyline in the sequels really follows Jake and Neytiri and their children,” he said. “It’s more of a family saga about the struggle with the humans. But thematically, ‘Toruk’ manages to land very very closely to the feeling of where the sequel stories are going.”

“I love the culture of Cirque du Soleil, how they think, how they empower and enable the artist,” Cameron said. “I wish Hollywood was more like the way Cirque runs, just in terms of the corporate mentality. Hollywood’s all about getting really creative people and then just putting the thumbscrews to them until they cry. Cirque du Soleil is exactly the opposite. They’ll say, ‘No, you’re not being crazy enough. We’ve seen stuff like that before. Do something we’ve never seen. Go nuts.'”

As for the movie sequels: They’re on target to start rolling out in Christmas 2018 — at least for now. “We haven’t moved that target yet, but we will if we need to,” he said. “The important thing for me is not when the first one comes out but the cadence of the release pattern. I want them to be released as close together as possible. If it’s an annual appointment to show up at Christmas, I want to make sure that we’re able to fulfill on that promise.”

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Deuce66 said:

As for the movie sequels: They’re on target to start rolling out in Christmas 2018 — at least for now. “We haven’t moved that target yet, but we will if we need to,” he said. “The important thing for me is not when the first one comes out but the cadence of the release pattern. I want them to be released as close together as possible. If it’s an annual appointment to show up at Christmas, I want to make sure that we’re able to fulfill on that promise.”

Annual Avatar movies? I guess that makes sense, but for some reason, I thought they would come every other year.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Annual Avatar movies? I guess that makes sense, but for some reason, I thought they would come every other year.

I guess he doesn't like the idea of a two year break between films?? they'll be going up against Star Wars for sure if they go 4 years straight. 

14 minutes ago, cannastop said:

They should come every other year, it would give the films more financial success with a two year gap between them.

41 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

The storyline in the sequels really follows Jake and Neytiri and their children,” he said. “It’s more of a family saga about the struggle with the humans.

This makes a lot of sense, especially since by the time the humans mount another expeditionary force to Pandora another 10-15 years will have passed (easily).