Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

When I see those shots of the planet I remember how good it will be to see Pandora again. It is one of the only films I have seen that makes me feel really on an alien world. 

Is it true that we will have glasses free 3D this time? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Box Office Theory Fan said:

When I see those shots of the planet I remember how good it will be to see Pandora again. It is one of the only films I have seen that makes me feel really on an alien world. 

Is it true that we will have glasses free 3D this time? 

The glasses free 3D was a rumour, maybe it's possible for Avatar 4&5 though but I don't see it happening for 2020.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

The 3D glasses was a rumour, maybe it's possible for Avatar 4&5 though but I don't see it happening for 2020.

I was doubtful of this because I coiuld not find any good sources on the claims. All the matters is the CGI to me hopefully JC can raise the bar again :) 

Just now, Box Office Theory Fan said:

I was doubtful of this because I coiuld not find any good sources on the claims. All the matters is the CGI to me hopefully JC can raise the bar again :) 

Well you're in for a treat because Jim always delivers on that front.

• Haha 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Well you're in for a treat because Jim always delivers on that front.

Yes I hope this is true, however there are some directors I think get worse with time you know? Like Ridley Scott although he maeks good movies still they are not classics like gladiator alien and blade runner you knoww? 

Just wanna say, filming is only about halfway done. MoCap is almost finished then they have a 6-month shoot of live action in New Zealand. 

So if Glasses-less 3D was happening, they'd already need to do have the tech, which we surely would've heard about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Just wanna say, filming is only about halfway done. MoCap is almost finished then they have a 6-month shoot of live action in New Zealand. 

So if Glasses-less 3D was happening, they'd already need to do have the tech, which we surely would've heard about.

Live action?! Do you think this means we will see Earth? 

2 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Well that's to assume that Glasses-less 3D would be shot different than regular 3D or can't be converted from the shots they do have.

I don't see it happening though

• Like 1

Just now, Box Office Theory Fan said:

There are humans in the movie, and yes seeing earth is possible.

Also just found this:

Autostereoscopic content creation and conversion[edit source]

Tools for the instant conversion of existing 3D movies to autostereoscopic were demonstrated by Dolby, Stereolabs and Viva3D.[21][22][23]

it's from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostereoscopy which is the technical name for glassesless 3D. So if the tech becomes doable on a large scale in the future, it's been shown that existing movies can be converted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, feasby007 said:

There are humans in the movie, and yes seeing earth is possible.

Also just found this:

it's from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostereoscopy which is the technical name for glassesless 3D. So if the tech becomes doable on a large scale in the future, it's been shown that existing movies can be converted.

This is exciting :)

And what about an Avatar re release? Do you think that JC will do it before Avatar 2 (or maybe double feature)? 

Edited by Box Office Theory Fan

2 minutes ago, Box Office Theory Fan said:

And what about an Avatar re release? Do you think that JC will do it before Avatar 2 (or maybe double feature)? 

I really really hope so, but I'm not sure. If there's a double feature, you can be sure to find me there.

1 minute ago, feasby007 said:

I really really hope so, but I'm not sure. If there's a double feature, you can be sure to find me there.

Well we have titanic re-release so maybe Avatar will follow the same path? 

1 hour ago, Box Office Theory Fan said:

Well we have titanic re-release so maybe Avatar will follow the same path? 

This is something I've been hoping for, I'd love to see Avatar re-released in China, I think done right it could push it over $3B WW.

7 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

This is something I've been hoping for, I'd love to see Avatar re-released in China, I think done right it could push it over $3B WW.

Btw, i asked in the China thread a while back but nobody answered, what happened to the T2 re-release there? Wasn't it supposed to come out there in a big way? No peep since...

Edited by Elessar

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

Btw, i asked in the China thread a while back but nobody answered, what happened to the T2 re-release there? Wasn't it supposed to come out there in a big way? No peep since...

Great point, I thought it was supposed to come out there this year, but not heard anything since... wonder if some kind of deal fell through with Studio Canal?

31 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Great point, I thought it was supposed to come out there this year, but not heard anything since... wonder if some kind of deal fell through with Studio Canal?

Too bad. I was waiting for T2 to climb a few ranks on the all time list...

As for Avatar, i'm sure there will be double features, especially for a movie that has come out a decade ago and wants to be seen on a big screen.

7 hours ago, Box Office Theory Fan said:

Apparently not....I think the live action will be limited to the ship(s), Hell's Gate or maybe a Hell's Gate II. 

7 hours ago, Box Office Theory Fan said:

Cameron mentioned that's very likely, a remastered version i.e.: improved CGI in some scenes, it wouldn't surprise me if they do a limited worldwide weekend type of release with the added carrot of "previews" for Avatar II sometime in January or Feb 2020. You just know that the promo machine behind this movie will be HUGE especially if Disney takes control of 21st Century Fox. 

• Astonished 1

19 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Cameron mentioned that's very likely, a remastered version i.e.: improved CGI in some scenes, it wouldn't surprise me if they do a limited worldwide weekend type of release with the added carrot of "previews" for Avatar II sometime in January or Feb 2020. You just know that the promo machine behind this movie will be HUGE especially if Disney takes control of 21st Century Fox. 

Can you remember where you found that info? I remember it too but i cant find it now 😣