Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

"I don’t think the average viewer will look at it and say, ‘Oh those animals have six legs because it’s a low gravity planet,” but a Mars Rover has six wheels because four isn’t enough on Mars which has just a little over a third of our surface gravity. So that made sense to me. I think if you apply engineering, you apply the logic and the rules of science to it, something leaps through to the audience. There’s a sense of truth, or authenticity to it. They can’t quite put their finger on it but things seem to be there for a reason."

This is why he makes Billions folks. 

I never thought about this but he's right. I think audiences only have so much disbelief they're willing to suspend, and the less disbelief they have to suspend on tangential parts of the movie, the more disbelief they can spend on appreciating the world and story and characters. Most other directors don't appreciate that. It's why Titanic was so successful, he spent a lot of effort making it sink in real time, realistically... so you had plenty of disbelief to spare for the primary romance.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Dude, $16B is crazy. Not happening, because $15B is the ceiling. :P

53 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You're both crazy.. 13 billies is the ceiling

I wasn't saying 16B was the ceiling... I'm saying that's what I think it could make... with Jim there is no ceiling (50B WW incoming :ph34r:). 

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

It seems everybody has moved on from 3D with glasses except him ...

I think the main issue is that very few people have seen 3D at it's technological limits, he has and wants the industry to push forward with laser projections and proper illumination. That's probably where his famous statement came from regarding jaws to the floor and ...... they are working with Dolby to get this going, the ? is how many theatres will be up to standard by Dec 2020??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

It seems everybody has moved on from 3D with glasses except him ...

I think it's actually a good thing, should up the 'special' feeling of Avatar it being an event movie you know. Hell we need it now that Star Wars has fallen so low. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lothar said:

When is Jim making his own VFX company ?

I'm waiting for the day when he's visionary idea is going to F the industry to the highest level.

He made Digital Domain but it didn't work out. There's also the Cameron Pace group but I think that's for cameras? 

Did you know ?

Peter Jackson created Weta Digital after seeing Terminator 2.

15 years later, Cameron will make Weta Digital "his" VFX company of choice  and him and Peter Jackson will become Friends with Benefits.

Circle of Life.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

Why is he wasting time with this? It's not like he needs the money. He could make something original.

Your complaint is misplaced, go to a Marvel thread.

The world of Pandora is vast and beautiful.

You think it's going to be a dull sequel??? Keep dreaming.

• Like 2