Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

That’s why 2nd place now is such a phenomenal achievement! Jim gang needs to celebrate being 2nd!

Why is everyone talking like Endgame has surpassed Avatar WW? It hasnt yet and Im not convinced it will. Theres a bunch of big movies coming out that will cut off Endgames legs and Marvel movies are not known for having great legs in the first place.

It could happen that Endgame surpassed Avatar WW, but its way too early to celebrate.

1 minute ago, Crainy said:

Why is everyone talking like Endgame has surpassed Avatar WW? It hasnt yet and Im not convinced it will. Theres a bunch of big movies coming out that will cut off Endgames legs and Marvel movies are not known for having great legs in the first place.

It could happen that Endgame surpassed Avatar WW, but its way too early to celebrate.

It's going to make at least $200m more domestically, which would leave just 315m internationally, how does it not get that?

2 minutes ago, Crainy said:

"a bunch of big movies coming out"

where?

There's one big movie. Not a bunch of them. and Pikachu is unlikely to "cut avengers legs off".

by Sunday it was at 2.18 billion and two days later Monday and Tuesday its at 2.28 billion. I think it's time for Jim Gang to accept defeat.

15 hours ago, AndyK said:

Avatar fans must be pretty pissed right now.

Why it took a China expanding over 700 percent and some of the biggest movie markets expanding 100-400% to even have a shot at a 2009 movie. Poor comparison there 😁. What do you think avatar2 will do in these Europe and asian markets that Jc fans dominate in. The Shortest all time reign in history lol vs films that held alltime for 10 yr and 13 years. 

The fbs also forget Titanic is the most successful juggernaut of them alll. Egs ow is awesome. And its a great run. But its no Avatar or Titanic. Unless you beat the former  ww champ in similar domination. And E.g. just may lose to Avatar still😉.. Which is funny that Avatar again is a 2009 movie that pretty much adjusts to 4b ww in a tiny market. I mean many films are now hitting  1billy to prove the point. Avatar 2 will likely best the domestic champ by 200mil or more and best Avatar and end game by 1.5 to 2billion plus margin. Thats what Cameron epic does my friend.

Edited by Sheldon Cr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

32 minutes ago, Avatree said:

where?

There's one big movie. Not a bunch of them. and Pikachu is unlikely to "cut avengers legs off".

by Sunday it was at 2.18 billion and two days later Monday and Tuesday its at 2.28 billion. I think it's time for Jim Gang to accept defeat.

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

The shade! :rofl:

Ahem Godzilla2😉

22 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

4 billies, dread it

The funny thing some are saying 4.8-5.1 b ww is in play. Holy moly. If we can get 1.4 b domestic and surpass bigtime 3b plus Os. Oh my!!

Can see the headlines Avatar 2 .has done it again. Taking the domestic crown by

A 300mil plus and is the first film to surpass 3billion overseas.

Here are some of the early predicts so far. Everyone please help me update👍

Kal...1.1b dom, 3.3b OS

4.4b ww

Ncsoft... 3.7Bww

Jimbo...1.1B dom , 

3.1b OS, 4.2B ww

Keysersoze123

600 Domestic /1.2B OS -C / 700M C - 2.5B WW

How big a margin will Avatar 2 beat Avatar domestically and OS??

Edited by Sheldon Cr

49 minutes ago, Avatree said:

where?

Godzilla. Also, Im not Jim Gang. But celebrating early is never a good idea.

50 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

It's going to make at least $200m more domestically, which would leave just 315m internationally, how does it not get that?

As I said, it certainly can happen, but it hasnt happened yet, yet people act like it. Its not a lock and I like to point out that Im going to be one of the people that is going to watch Endgame most likely this WE and will contribute to its sales, btw.

I wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt cross that threshold. And then all the people celebrating early will feel pretty fucking stupid.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

4 billies, dread it

Look at Eg's run now vs Avatars 2009 run. You gotta love haters. Its obvious how much bigger avatar was. Look at the nearest pretenders on the all time domestic and ww lists at time vs all the films in the 2bil to 1bil plus range now. Hah hah

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

Haters of Jc success with Titanic and Avatar need to take the blue 💊 and come back to reality Jimbo.

Lol domestic front only tdk (2008)was even close to Avatar or  titanic, but look at the gap lol. 535m domestic. Avatar 760😉

Now the difference between avatar and titanic vs movies 2009-1997 ww is simply out of this world showing of the greatest box power and ability to draw in audiences that the world has ever scene.  

Bravo James Cameron!! 👏

Edited by Sheldon Cr
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Crainy said:

Godzilla. Also, Im not Jim Gang. But celebrating early is never a good idea.

As I said, it certainly can happen, but it hasnt happened yet, yet people act like it. Its not a lock and I like to point out that Im going to be one of the people that is going to watch Endgame most likely this WE and will contribute to its sales, btw.

I wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt cross that threshold. And then all the people celebrating early will feel pretty fucking stupid.

Well put as making 200-250 mil more domestic isn't a lock , nor is making the amount needed to beat avatar's 2  billy plus OS tally. EG may just come in around 2.5-2.6 b ww. That would be funny.

On this crazy note:

I cant believe A2 is a film that could make 3.2-3.6b from just the Os markets. Can you believe this Pandorians. We will break E.g. in pretty much every market by insanity shattering margins.

We should all be  using titanic and Avatar 1 as a model of what to expect from midlevel to max target for slayer of worlds in 2021. The name is

Avatar 2 fueled by the powrr of JC fans is the only film in history that's a lock for 2.5 billion we , but it will blow that margin away by quite a number. The meltdowns will be epic for Cameron haters or naysayers.

Cameron fans will be celebrating victory till the next Avatar lol

-- Food for thought.

What happens if Avatar 2 also defeats  FA domestically by 250-400mil ontop of the new benchmark for overseas billions?👍🌷🌷

Edited by Sheldon Cr
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Crainy said:

42 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Well put as making 200-250 mil more domestic isn't a lock , nor is making the amount needed to beat avatar's 2  billy plus OS tally. EG may just come in around 2.5-2.6 b ww. That would be funny.

I would love to see your figures for how it fails to make another $515m ww.

First off Kal, do you realize that Endgame is already at $2.27b already right??  For it to stop at $2.6b, it can only make another $327m!

IW had a $62m third weekend and went on to make another $130m after that. That's $192m if it just matches IW from here on out, but it won't, it will make more.

Again, I am not saying it 100% will beat Avatar, but come on, show me how you think it will miss it please.

No other way to go but DOWN now - or, the inevitable downfall of the MCU post 2020

This is a Shay treatise in the making you'll have the honour of reading first, as it's being created.

Highlights include:

1. The MCU couldn't even take the crown - neither the Domestic, nor the Worldwide, beaten by legends like JJ's Star Wars and the Lord Himself's Avatar.

2. The incredible 2 decades' long accumulation of creative talent and the public's good will only got the MCU so far - and will now effectively destroy itself, because it is impossible to replicate, now that most of the classic heroes are history.

3. Knowing full well the MCU is a dead horse now, instead of further beating it, Disney wisely jumps ship to a worthier vessel: Avatar, non-RianJohnnson Star Wars, etc. - which is exactly what we've witnessed with their latest announcement of release dates.

4. DC swiftly moves in the now open Superhero niche with smart movies like Aquaman 2, 3 & 4.

tbc

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/7/2019 at 11:53 PM, Hunch said:

This probably means big rewrites and reshoots? Weren't all four films in production simultaneously?

I think DisneyFox may be overestimating how beloved and iconic the 2009 film is. Telling people there are going to be four films over an 8 year period from the get-go seems too much. I'm already exhausted and we haven't seen a second of footage.

This is what Cameron confirmed most recently in February of this year:

Before we talk about Alita: Battle Angel, can you give us a sneaky update on how the Avatar sequels and the Terminator reboot are going?

Sure. Well, where we are with Avatar 2, 3, 4 and 5 is we've done all the performance capture on two and three and part of four and we'll do the live action starting in May in New Zealand for about four months. The live action is a relatively small part of the films overall, but there are several live action characters that go through a lot of the CG scenes so it's about integrating the live characters into the CG scenes. Kind of the opposite of Alita where we had a few CG characters mostly integrated into live action settings. We had the reverse issue on the Avatar films. I've got a couple of human characters integrated into the Na'vi rainforest, oceans, mountains, that sort of thing. We'll shoot that 3D, so everything is going to look spectacular. That sets the bar for the CG guys at WETA. I think the films are going to look amazing.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=12200938

I may or may not know someone who's working on a project very much like this...  and what I can tell you...that would apply to any truly innovative technological project like this... is that because of the innovations in process involved, the whole nature of visual storytelling (and thus the process of "shooting") has the possibility of being reconfigured regularly by the filmmakers.  When you're an artistic perfectionist, you don't settle for what's available; you make something better, in both narrative and technological approach.  And as the technology changes and more opportunities become available, the nature of your story could change...it can sound like a vicious circle...but it's all part of the creative process.  This happens on a lot more major Hollywood productions than you may realize.  Add in large numbers of custom cameras that can shoot 3D, while also shifting between environments like underwater or stages to fill with CG environments...and you have endless opportunities, but also opportunity for endless perfecting. 

I'm willing to bet that this is not some fool's endeavor... Never underestimate Cameron...that's all I can say.  His whole career is consistently proving doubters wrong...and if he's this invested in "the Avatar business," then he must have good reason to be...and so does FOX...and now Disney.

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 4

What a difference a day makes....

December 17 is actually kind of an unfortunate date, as Christmas Eve - a depressed movie-going day - lands on its 2nd Friday. I guess it doesn't matter though. The numbers at the end will be huge. It'll just be a weird looking weekend. The flipside is Christmas Day will land on Saturday, which seems like a match made in heaven. THAT day should be massive!

The extra year delay makes me think the movie is gonna clock in at a heavy 3 to 3.5 hours. 

14 minutes ago, JB33 said:

What a difference a day makes....

December 17 is actually kind of an unfortunate date, as Christmas Eve - a depressed movie-going day - lands on its 2nd Friday. I guess it doesn't matter though. The numbers at the end will be huge. It'll just be a weird looking weekend. The flipside is Christmas Day will land on Saturday, which seems like a match made in heaven. THAT day should be massive!

Not worried at all, the BO of Jim's movies haven't been reliant on those sort of details. If the movie is as great we all hope, everyone is going to find a way to see it on the best screen possible no matter how long it takes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2