Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

8 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

Pray that you never find out. 

From the conversations I have seen between the Lightstorm folk and the marketing folk on the Avatar discord it seems Jim has a very very specific plan for how they're going to market this movie. That's why I don't think he wants the trailer dropping attached to that.

7 hours ago, wintersoldier2021 said:

And this is why avatar has been the laughingstock of the Internet for years

Its funny when an article pops up on Facebook I do see alot of people compare it to Ferngully with a tonne of criticism yet comments from non English speaking countries do nothing but sing its praises.

Fact is the highest grossing movie of all time will always have people pulling it down as a way to try and intellectually prop themselves up. Had Avatar only grossed 400m WW you could bet these same people would be calling it one of the most underrated blockbusters of recent memory

• Disbelief 1

11 minutes ago, Wormow said:

I think this might make around $70-80M opening weekend with a 3-4x multiplier. 

This is just impossible unless some catalyst brings down the market late this year. That's the same opening as the first movie despite inflation

15 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Before I knew I was going to CinemaCon, I fully planned to go to a Dr Strange 2 showing (if the trailer does debut before it) at midnight and walk out once the A2 trailer had shown.

Edit: teaser not trailer, I don't believe Jim is going to let the trailer ride ahead of another hypergonadal male fantasy.

4 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

From the conversations I have seen between the Lightstorm folk and the marketing folk on the Avatar discord it seems Jim has a very very specific plan for how they're going to market this movie. That's why I don't think he wants the trailer dropping attached to that.

Okay, well now I gotta hear what you think is a proper movie to play the trailer in front of!

Avatar was a pretty good movie that kind of gets unjustly beaten up imho, plot and charaters are nothing crazy but the world and its creatures were great. I don't really see much suggesting the movie was poorly received beyond le internet experts trying to bring it down either - the movie had great legs at the time with a multiplier of nearly 10 if my memory is right.

It's been a long time and I don't see a way the zeitgest can be replicated with a sequel but at the same time I think Cameron has more than earned the benefit of the doubt that he'll have something up his sleeve at this point.  But frankly even if he doesn't and my gut feeling is right the movie will still be plenty big anyway.

Edited by JustLurking