Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

4 minutes ago, wintersoldier2021 said:

Most people prefer a movie actually have a good story to go with the effects

The fact that the movie became #1 all-time and did so off great legs rather than colossal opening suggests that either your claim is wrong, or the vast majority of people disagreed with you on the quality of the story.

• Like 1

Just now, JustLurking said:

The fact that the movie became #1 all-time and did so off great legs rather than colossal opening suggests that either your claim is wrong, or the vast majority of people disagreed with you on the quality of the story.

The story was excellent, Cameron is one of the best story tellers of his generation in the visual medium. As Tolstoy said - there are only two stories in all human history anyway. If you want complexity in how either of those stories are told read a book.

• Thanks 1

So, are the usual suspects in this thread really fans of the movie Avatar or just Jim nuts who are “required” to like Avatar just because they like Jim so much? If it where directed by anyone else, would they still go crazy for Avatar, the movie?

Edited by Maggie

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

So, are the usual suspects in this thread really fans of the movie Avatar or just Jim nuts who are “required” to like Avatar just because they like Jim so much? If it where directed by anyone else, would they still go crazy for Avatar, the movie?

Counterfactual conditionals don't help you here because only one man could have made Avatar. If it were directed by anyone else it would not have been what it is. There's a reason that on every single poster it says 'James Cameron's Avatar'.

Just now, Maggie said:

I think Titanic has a good story and great visual effects for its time. I don’t see people hating on Titanic for its story. Avatar, on the other hand…people genuinely have complains

I've seen plenty of people complain about Titanic for the same reasons, the more popular something is, the more people hate on it. Pre Avatar, the Internet despised Titanic. 

• Like 1

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

Subtle bigotry should elicits a response? Who would have thought it?

And I am the one who is accused of being a 'troll'.

I was merely highlighting that the White Saviour is a pretty common trope, I'm part of the nation that's near enough most guilty of pushing that narrative. You reading bigotry in to a pretty innocuous post is fueling my good mood this Sunday. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

But why are the Avengers movies then so succesfull??

Alan Moore said it better than I ever could

To my mind, this embracing of what were unambiguously children's characters at their mid-20th century inception seems to indicate a retreat from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence," [Alan Moore] wrote to Ó Méalóid. "It looks to me very much like a significant section of the public, having given up on attempting to understand the reality they are actually living in, have instead reasoned that they might at least be able to comprehend the sprawling, meaningless, but at-least-still-finite 'universes' presented by DC or Marvel Comics.

9 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Original IP's will never get colossal opening weekends.  A big part of why it had great legs was because of this!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

Original IP's will never get colossal opening weekends.  A big part of why it had great legs was because of this!

I can't see it happening for second time. I meant this time it's supposed to be opening big not like Avengers: Endgame (tbh) but can't even challenge James Cameron being legend of legends...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Most people have short memories and forget a time that word of mouth wasn't tainted by internet flame wars, Disney's marketing machine, or people who felt that their entire worth was tied to a corporate brand (maybe this less so but you get the point).

Just now, Deep Wang said:

True (to an extent), but that's not the point - they still need the reception to actually develop said legs. A poorly received original would never have been able to break out like Avatar did, no matter how much one would want to push this narrative. It managed to do so because people liked it, and trying to retcon this into audiences somehow hating it seems ridicolous to me. If that was true it simply would not have had the WOM for that multiplier.

• Like 1