Plain Old Tele

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

My wife liked the trailer and started reading the novel. She is loving the novel right now. Seriously Ridley, don't screw this up, this should be the easiest slam dunk ever but after the past decade of Ridley Scott movies, who knows anymore.

I've only seen two of Ridleys last 3 movies and I enjoyed both of them (though I doubt I'll ever see the Councellor... it just looks sooooo bad!).

I could see this hitting 200M+. Though Mars films don't seem to be that big at the box office.

One thing is for sure-it will be better then Robinson Crusoe on Mars! :P (If anyone here has seen this film I be surprised. It was pretty boring and not that great of a film)

Ok, so I finished the book last week. Took me a little while to process my thoughts on it. And not gonna lie, I was disappointed. Certainly not terrible, but not great or even very good in my eyes. Still the many problems I had with the book could actually make it into a much better film, which is rare, plus there are a lot of strengths that make for a strong foundation for a potentially great film.

I think Prometheus is underrated (despite that holy script, it's extremely well-directed), but The Counselor is so nihilistically awful it's hard to fathom, and Exodus was gorgeous to look at but otherwise thoroughly mediocre. 

For now I'll keep giving Scott a chance, but if this one goes the way of his recent output, that might be it. 

• Like 1

I think Prometheus is underrated (despite that holy script, it's extremely well-directed), but The Counselor is so nihilistically awful it's hard to fathom, and Exodus was gorgeous to look at but otherwise thoroughly mediocre.

For now I'll keep giving Scott a chance, but if this one goes the way of his recent output, that might be it.

I know Scott has many different interests, but going from the Counselor to Exodus is an abruptly hilarious change in subject matter. Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1

I don't like Counselor but I can understand someone liking it just for how totally batshit bonkers it is, Devin Faraci likes it lol.  Exodus is just really bland, that movie felt so rushed / half assed.  I think the main problem with Ridley Scott is that he works like a factory now, it doesn't feel like his heart is in a lot of his movies lately.  I like American Gangster, KOH-DC, and Prometheus, but those aren't as eloquent as Gladiator and Black Hawk Down, both of which are masterpieces IMO.   Scott better deliver with the Martian and not sleepwalk / half ass through this one given the source material.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

Yeah I don't think Counselor is a bad movie.

But it's so weird. I had and still have no idea what to think of it. But I didn't hate it.

My thoughts as well. I didn't think Prometheus was a bad movie either. I actually admired some of the ambition from early in the movie and was thoroughly let down by it virtually not living up to any of it.

• Like 2