Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

Pretty impressive that The Martian is even keeping it close given Gravity's short run time and IMAX/3D advantages. TM seems more conventional, I don't mean that as a slam, just that it's more what the "general public" goes into a movie expecting to see and sometimes that is all people want. Can't wait to see how the WOM pans out.

The running time thing is an interesting difference. Martian has no IMAX and a much smaller 3D share (though it has PLF - are PLF showings usually 3D? My Regal location always puts 2D on the RPX screen, though it may be an exception), and it has a longer runtime, and my (near-sellout in a 400-seat auditorium) Saturday afternoon showing had plenty of kids, while my opening Saturday showing of Gravity was perhaps the oldest audience I've ever seen for a #1 $50M+ opening.

In short, Martian had to sell more tickets, with fewer showtimes, to get to an almost equal number. Even with the advantage of two fewer years of inflation (I paid $13 for a 2D adult evening ticket of Martian), Gravity almost certainly sold fewer tickets per showing than Martian.

(I actually wonder if Gravity could be the lowest number of tickets ever sold for an opening weekend over $50M - though I'm not sure if it or Avatar has the highest average *ticket price* for an over-$50M OW...)

This also could say something about Gravity's WOM. The fact that it had such an amazing hold probably attests to the fact that it did not reach as large a portion of the moviegoing public as other over-$50M openers.

This is not meant to undercut either film's success at all, I was just thinking about all this stuff.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

Why would anyone take kids to The Martian?

Why not? Kids love the idea of being an astronaut. I hear the book has some language, but beyond the "science the **** out of this" line, the trailer didn't make it seem like something wildly unsuitable for children and not all parents really care about shielding their children's delicate ears. Did I miss that it's really Wolf of Wall Street in space or something?

I don't understand the Gravity hate and when it became cool to hate it, when it came out all people did was rave about it.  When it was competing for Oscars, many people cheered it on.  It also won the BOFFIE here if I remember correctly (and was 1st on the composite top 25 movies of 2013 list).

The film is masterly crafted, the only complaints that I ever hear are about the weak script, but somehow that makes the movie trash?  It's like it became the cool thing to start hating on.

It's still my top film from 2013 because I don't bend my opinion based on whatever is the cool thing to do at the time.

• Like 14

Excuse me? I always said Gravity was mediocre at best. Since the first time I saw it 2 years ago. The movie is bad. I am glad people are waking up. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 3

I saw Gravity for the first time on DVD in 2014 and I didn't really like it then so... My complaint about the film, mainly I didn't give a fuck whether Sandra Bullock survived or not and the action bits are super repetitive which lessens the amount of tension by the time you get to the second or third sequence because you feel like you've already seen it.

• Like 1

I don't understand the Gravity hate and when it became cool to hate it, when it came out all people did was rave about it.  When it was competing for Oscars, many people cheered it on.  It also won the BOFFIE here if I remember correctly (and was 1st on the composite top 25 movies of 2013 list).

The film is masterly crafted, the only complaints that I ever hear are about the weak script, but somehow that makes the movie trash?  It's like it became the cool thing to start hating on.

It's still my top film from 2013 because I don't bend my opinion based on whatever is the cool thing to do at the time.

Try Avatar.