Plain Old Tele

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

Eh, not really. Filmmaking is a much bigger process than the script, and I say that as a huge fan of this book. Plenty of good books have been turned into shitty, shitty movies.

But they copied this book literally word for word throughout. He's not added anything new and people are praising him like the story was his idea. Ah well I know I'm right

But they copied this book literally word for word throughout. He's not added anything new and people are praising him like the story was his idea. Ah well I know I'm right

Sometimes a good book adaptation is simply knowing what to leave out. Harder than it sounds.

• Like 7

Sometimes a good book adaptation is simply knowing what to leave out. Harder than it sounds.

yes, it is. Especially in this today's mindset that everything in the book should also be in the movie, ignoring crucial differences of both mediums.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

We're talking about the guy who made the most boring Robin Hood movie. How do you screw up Robin Hood? By making poor directing choices. The story no matter how good it is doesn't show you how to direct it. That's what storyboard is about. I didn't see this movie yet but the praise for Scott seems that he managed to translate cinematically what transpired on the page in the most engaging way.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 7

We're talking about the guy who made the most boring Robin Hood movie. How do you screw up Robin Hood? By making poor directing choices. The story no matter how good it is doesn't show you how to direct it. That's what storyboard is about. I didn't see this movie yet but the praise for Scott seems that he managed to translate cinematically what transpired on the page in the most engaging way.

It just seems like he's getting a lot of praise for not fucking this up, it would have been very hard to make a bad movie out of this, as I said, any semi decent director could have made this a good film.

Robin Hood is completely different, it was remade and with remakes you have to put your own stamp on it, try something different. The Martian book was very easy to translate to the big screen, so easy that Ridley didn't seem to change a thing

except allow Watney to use his iron man skills to reach Hermes, which was probably the worst part of the film, but yeah, well done Ridley.

Edited by jessie

People complaining about a movie being TOO faithful to the novel. I think this might be a first! :lol:

Reminds me of Watchmen.  The movie is 95%  faithful to the novel (including the visual aspects) and people were still bitching about the remaining 5%.