Dementeleus

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword | Guy Ritchie | May 12, 2017 | Charlie Hunnam

2 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

I'm sorry but this looks like a bomb IMO. Opening the week after 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2' is really going to hurt it, not that it would have break out in other spot but I see 17M/45M 

It was filmed in early 2015. I'm fairly certain that this movie was dumped in May with the assumption that it didn't stand a chance anywhere else.

Warner Bros. knows this.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

I'm sorry but this looks like a bomb IMO. Opening the week after 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2' is really going to hurt it, not that it would have break out in other spot but I see 17M/45M 

The biggest disadvantage of all. GOTG2 is a certified action blockbuster. King Arthur is a wannabe action blockbuster. GOTG2 will feast on King Arthur like no tomorrow. King Arthur won't be counterprogramming to GOTG2 like Bridesmaids was to Thor or Great Gatsby was to IM3 or Neighbors was to TASM2.

Tarzan didn't have that disadvantage opening the week following Independence Day Regurgence.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm waiting until someone starts a Snatched opening weekend > King Arthur opening weekend club. Although that probably doesn't sound too insane at all.

I'd be willing to bet we'll see a reprieve of 2008 when What Happens In Vegas beat out Speed Racer opening one week after Iron Man.

I'd even be willing to bet exact same opening weekend grosses. ;)

Edited by Jay Beezy

8 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

The biggest disadvantage of all. GOTG2 is a certified action blockbuster. King Arthur is a wannabe action blockbuster. GOTG2 will feast on King Arthur like no tomorrow. King Arthur won't be counterprogramming to GOTG2 like Bridesmaids was to Thor or Great Gatsby was to IM3 or Neighbors was to TASM2.

Tarzan didn't have that disadvantage opening the week following Independence Day Regurgence.

Tarzan was also a bit of a counter-programming since they played romance angle and romance genre (that isn't rom com with an accent on com) is under-represented in summer. That also worked really well for Great Gatsby though that also had Leo. 

Arthur is no counter-programming.

Edited by Valonqar

Just now, Valonqar said:

Tarzan was also a bit of a counter-programming since they played romance angle and romance genre (that isn't rom com with an accent on com) is under-represented in summer. That also worked really well for Great Gatsby though it also had Leo. 

Arthur is no counter-programming.

Shirtless Alexander Skarsgaard rocking that ab canyon certainly helped draw in the ladies as well. ;)