grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Taking down Deathly Hallows 2 to be WB's biggest movie ever

Why people always bring Jennifer lawrence  name to compare to other actress? She's is a blueprint of sucess and popularity .She took a break and still  no other actress  can touch her achievements, even with movies with bad reviews  ,still made decent money.

Robbie can not made this even with her "smart choices" with a filmography full of average movies and  supporting  roles, well I hope she can finally  breaktrough in her career like a "lead lady " and a box office  hit, because even with  a Harley Quinn movie  the general public dont care about her movies.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

This is like the 3rd meta comedy WB will have released within a decade that is based on a popular IP movie and has an evil CEO as the bad guy (with two of them being played by Will Ferrell). 

Lego Movie, Barbie and what's the third one? 

On 4/15/2022 at 10:00 PM, Viola said:

Why people always bring Jennifer lawrence  name to compare to other actress? She's is a blueprint of sucess and popularity .She took a break and still  no other actress  can touch her achievements, even with movies with bad reviews  ,still made decent money.

Huh? She is basically a nobody right now.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

On 4/16/2022 at 12:00 PM, Viola said:

Robbie can not made this even with her "smart choices" with a filmography full of average movies and  supporting  roles, well I hope she can finally  breaktrough in her career like a "lead lady " and a box office  hit, because even with  a Harley Quinn movie  the general public dont care about her movies.

People are just obsessed with her - including her haters! Her impact.

Jennifer Lawrence's 27 Best Red-Carpet Moments | Vanity Fair

3 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I'll be laughing my ass off if a Barbie film gets nominated for a BP oscar. But with this cast and crew, if academy members are not snob enough towards this kind of IP, the potential is there.

It's Greta Gerwig, it'll be a contender at least. I'd like to see a release date, first. WB is capable of getting 2 BP noms, but Dune 2 is Oct. It'll be very telling if this is a Nov release, or a summer release

I doubt the studio is expecting this to be much of an awards player outside of techs (don't know who the costume designer is but one has to imagine the outfits Robbie will be treated to in this will be memorable). It's still a Barbie movie lol. The main awards they'll be receiving for this are likely box office success and the self-congratulations for finally managing to crack the code of "how do we get people who aren't young girls genuinely interested in seeing a Barbie movie?" after years (decades?) of trying to do so.

There's kind of a precedent with the original Lego Movie which the Academy outright snubbed even for the "lesser" Best Animated Feature category. A live action Barbie movie has an even harder uphill battle to fight, especially as Gerwig herself has seen her own share of snubs.

Anyways, a bit too early to be having this discussion without even knowing what kind of a movie this is. What if Gerwig just wants to direct a solid little Legally Blonde-esque crowd pleaser and nothing more?

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I doubt the studio is expecting this to be much of an awards player outside of techs (don't know who the costume designer is but one has to imagine the outfits Robbie will be treated to in this will be memorable). It's still a Barbie movie lol. The main awards they'll be receiving for this are likely box office success and the self-congratulations for finally managing to crack the code of "how do we get people who aren't young girls genuinely interested in seeing a Barbie movie?" after years (decades?) of trying to do so.

How can you say this without a release date yet? Same could have been said about Joker.

Okay but like Joker and Black Panther were still socially and politically conscious features, which helped give them legitimacy as highbrow fare, and were both two of the highest-grossing films in history with significant box office milestones that made them the events of their year.

The closest thing a Barbie movie could have from a "social" perspective, from what I can see, would probably be mocking its toy commercial existence a la Lego Movie and maybe a few feminist ideals, but I doubt it'll be anything super dramatic or profound, and more just satirical, funny gags. And I doubt it's making a billion dollars. I love Greta Gerwig too, but I feel like you guys are setting yourself up for disappointment if you honestly think this has any Oscar chances.

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

How can you say this without a release date yet? Same could have been said about Joker.

Not much is known about this at the moment but a Joker comparison doesn't make sense at all unless this is taking a much darker route than indicated (lol a "gritty" Barbie movie). All the early details indicate this is a fish-out-of-water comedy in the heartwarming Elf/Enchanted mold and I highly doubt a holiday release (or any release date, tbh) would solidify it as a certified awards player.

23 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

It's Greta Gerwig, it'll be a contender at least. I'd like to see a release date, first. WB is capable of getting 2 BP noms, but Dune 2 is Oct. It'll be very telling if this is a Nov release, or a summer release

I think if Batgirl is theatrical next year, it’ll take the mid November slot so probably Summer for Barbie, guessing the Mother’s Day slot or move Coyote vs Acme to later in the fall and it takes its July spot.

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Not much is known about this at the moment but a Joker comparison doesn't make sense at all unless this is taking a much darker route than indicated (lol a "gritty" Barbie movie). All the early details indicate this is a fish-out-of-water comedy in the heartwarming Elf/Enchanted mold and I highly doubt a holiday release (or any release date, tbh) would solidify it as a certified awards player.

It's a Gerwig/Baumbach joint, if it's a comedy it'll be something in the vein of an upscale Frances Ha, which could definitely get some noms.