grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

11 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

To be fair it probably helps that even with his recent stardom, a project like this if it goes sideways doesn't hurt him since he's not the marquee its hinging around. 

18 hours ago, filmlover said:

Respect to Gosling for allowing himself to appear absolutely ridiculous on celluloid this late into a career made up of mostly serious roles. This movie is already shaping up to be one of 2023's most exciting projects.

His next film looks like a redbox original, so I guess he’s game for anything at this point 😅

15 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

The buzz on the internet about this movies is insane and they are still shooting it.

Something tell me they are going to change the release date for Nolan movie cause this really has more than solid chances to open bigger 😇

Universal/Nolan might be too steadfast to move but you're right about the buzz. This should be an easy layup for WB. Once they drop a splashy trailer, it'll be deafening. I'm getting a bit nervous for Nolan despite the luxury of PLF screens. (Also, this is supposedly receiving a 3D release so I'm a bit surprised WB didn't try finding a weekend it could snag some PLFs as well). I think this will just look bigger, funner, and more appealing (it is an iconic IP, after all, with serious A-list talent and larger demographic support with females). Interstellar was beaten out by Big Hero 6, both in their openings.

If this stays in July, I would imagine it gets a Cannes premiere as well like Elvis, Mad Max, Top Gun, etc which puts it over the top. 

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

If this stays in July, I would imagine it gets a Cannes premiere as well like Elvis, Mad Max, Top Gun, etc which puts it over the top. 

July too late for a Cannes premiere I think. They could release it on the weekend exactly a year from now and switch it with a certain superhero film with bad shit going on rn (and that superhero movie should move out of the summer). I feel like it gives it space from Captain Marvel 2 also.

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

July too late for a Cannes premiere I think. They could release it on the weekend exactly a year from now and switch it with a certain superhero film with bad shit going on rn (and that superhero movie should move out of the summer). I feel like it gives it space from Captain Marvel 2 also.

I guess a Cannes premiere/July release would be the Once Upon a Time in Hollywood rollout?

But yeah, July.. man. Has 3 of the most anticipated films of the year (Oppenheimer, Barbie, Mission Impossible) and a MCU. Packed.

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

Is Oppenheimer - a period, talky movie presumably aimed at adults - expected to make lots of money? I know its budget is a reported hundred million (god knows how) but that's not exactly much by Nolan standards and Universal probably see it as a price worth paying to have a working relationship with him.