grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

30 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The F word is secured i won 

Guessing that's what the rating is mostly for and it wasn't an easy decision to make (and there wasn't a way of including the line in a clever censored way), considering they're locking in the movie just a few weeks before release. :lol: The MPA system has been a goofy organization for a very long time though.

On one hand, now there is extra pressure for this to do well (they have to know the PG-13 rating would be the easiest culprit of all in the event this underperformed/flopped), but on the other...if there's anyone who could make this work, in Gerwig we trust!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vale9001 said:

I can tell you from a friend is working on the promotional event in London they have build a pink ship (inspired by the toy) and all the cast will sail on the London River. 

The London River, you say? 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, upriser7 said:

This is just one survey but we do have crosstabs of who are interested in some of the summer releases this year - 

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1668773209641193472/photo/1

This is getting beyond stupid now. Not just linking EVERYTHING to political ideology, but this whole Barbie v Oppenheimer discussion. They couldn't be more different and, frankly, with all the hype, if Barbie doesn't do double Oppenheimer's numbers, it will be a huge disappointment. 

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

This is getting beyond stupid now. Not just linking EVERYTHING to political ideology, but this whole Barbie v Oppenheimer discussion. They couldn't be more different and, frankly, with all the hype, if Barbie doesn't do double Oppenheimer's numbers, it will be a huge disappointment. 

Oppenheimer might open over $50m, so to say Barbie doing anything under $100m OW is a disappointment is just setting it up to fail

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Oppenheimer might open over $50m, so to say Barbie doing anything under $100m OW is a disappointment is just setting it up to fail

Well, given all the hype and these stupid twitter posts, it's the rabid fans that are setting that up.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

28 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Well, given all the hype and these stupid twitter posts, it's the rabid fans that are setting that up.

I am not a Barbie fan and I don't even plan to watch the movie. The survey wasn't conducted just to ask about Barbie vs Oppenheimer. This was mainly a political poll and on top of that, they asked few other fun questions like this. There are also age, race, region related demographics in the tweets I shared, not just political 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I wonder if this is PG-13 for suggestive references and brief language? 

The MPA is so prudish and vague in the reasons it gives for its ratings. Meanwhile the BBFC is like ‘Strong language, one use of ‘f*ck’, and other terms including ‘shit’, ‘dick, ‘asshole’ and ‘hell’.”*

*Not Barbie-related - that hadn’t been rated yet.

Edited by Redolent

45 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Not nearly as stupid as Little Monsters reviewbombing Venom and overall campaigning against it pre-release in hope that ASIB would take #1 spot. That was much crazier shit than this rivalry.

The MPA system has been an out-of-touch joke in need of being dismantled or reorganized since forever. I was baffled why Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret was given a PG-13 (almost exclusively because it has young girls talking about their changing bodies, cause kids the same age as the protagonist in real life don't do that themselves, obviously!) other than the double standards they are full of, for example.

Gerwig herself wasn't entirely off the mark when she wrote the line:

Ladybird Dont Be A Republican GIF - Ladybird Dont Be A Republican -  Discover & Share GIFs