grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

Tom Cruise endorsing this movie is even more random than than his one for The Flash (that ended up being for nothing). Why does everyone want his public approval all of the sudden? :lol: 

His endorsement of both this and Oppenheimer at the same time definitely gives off a "through gritted teeth" energy lol since both of these movies are taking away all special formats in Mission: Impossible's second weekend.

All this pepto bismol pink is making me nauseous.

Couple that with the traumatic experience I had at an acquaintance's over a damaged Barbie's Dream house when I was 8 and this film is a big nope.

I'm sure it won't miss my money though.  How long has the marketing for this been going on?   It feels like ages.

Edited by TalismanRing

3 hours ago, vale9001 said:

According to imdb 1 hour and 54 minutes but It's not 100% confirmed. 

If that's the case that's a good runtime. Not many big films are under 2 hours these days. Assuming its #1 on its weekend it would be only the 4th or 5th #1 movie this year with a runtime under 2 hours, depending on whether Insidious is #1 on its opening weekend. 

33 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Tom Cruise endorsing this movie is even more random than than his one for The Flash (that ended up being for nothing). Why does everyone want his public approval all of the sudden? :lol: 

His endorsement of both this and Oppenheimer at the same time definitely gives off a "through gritted teeth" energy lol since both of these movies are taking away all special formats in Mission: Impossible's second weekend.

I thought it was pretty obvious he wasn’t promoting the movies themselves, but GOING to the movies.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

Oh what makes you think so? It would be nice if that happens!

— Opens a week later after trio (Elemental-Shin Chan 3D &Transformers)

— has holidays until WED

— Elemental been a Disney Film has less hope since it might drop on Disney+ by then.

— Transformers films have been falling after each release.

— Shin Chan 3D (First in Franchise) but limited GA &3D Novelty might not work.

— Only Family competition will be with How Do You Live?

Looking all things if marketing drive are effective along with DOM Success over Transformers/Jones/Fast X will create buzz.

But, It's still hypothetical because if Miyazaki's pull all the audiences within his Films but One Piece Film Red couldn't stop Top Gun Maverick from reaching heights.

Well, I feel pretty confident on Barbie will work!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

— Opens a week later after trio (Elemental-Shin Chan 3D &Transformers)

— has holidays until WED

— Elemental been a Disney Film has less hope since it might drop on Disney+ by then.

— Transformers films have been falling after each release.

— Shin Chan 3D (First in Franchise) but limited GA &3D Novelty might not work.

— Only Family competition will be with How Do You Live?

Looking all things if marketing drive are effective along with DOM Success over Transformers/Jones/Fast X will create buzz.

But, It's still hypothetical because if Miyazaki's pull all the audiences within his Films but One Piece Film Red couldn't stop Top Gun Maverick from reaching heights.

Well, I feel pretty confident on Barbie will work!

I see! good points! And I have noticed that they added theatres since the release announcements, in Kansai where I am anyway.  And now the posters are up in many of the theatres. 

I dunno if Ryan Gosling is a draw here, but I actually remember him doing promotions here for the local press back when the Notebook came out when he's an unknown! That was almost 20 years ago? Not sure if he is the draw for the Barbie movie, but if anything the colours of the posters and trailers does seem to stand out when you walk into theatre. 

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Would be curious to know why they would given their modern Hollywood aversion? 

I don't know what are you coming up with. Fast X recently made the best opening for the franchise and now aheading to take ATG from F8. USD might not look good but franchise has still delivered strong numbers.

The Little Mermaid had a good drop and so far Biggest OS Market in Asia (Combining all of the East Asia Market)

Spidey-Verse still delivered a weekend ahead of ITSV but yeah CBM problem exists since the beginning

Mario became a big hit. Almost be reaching $100M nearing Frozen II to became the 3rd Highest Grossing Imported Animation.

Everything Everywhere All At Once became a bigger hit than CODA.

1 minute ago, Issac Newton said:

I don't know what are you coming up with. Fast X recently made the best opening for the franchise and now aheading to take ATG from F8. USD might not look good but franchise has still delivered strong numbers.

The Little Mermaid had a good drop and so far Biggest OS Market in Asia (Combining all of the East Asia Market)

Spidey-Verse still delivered a weekend ahead of ITSV but yeah CBM problem exists since the beginning

Mario became a big hit. Almost be reaching $100M nearing Frozen II to became the 3rd Highest Grossing Imported Animation.

Everything Everywhere All At Once became a bigger hit than CODA.

I mean those all did good by modern Hollywood in Japan standards, but not by what it used to be like with the exception of Mario. 

Many people think that Hollywood Film unable to deliver Pre-Covid-19 Numbers in Japan are because of audiences dislike but apart from Disney. Other Studios has already overcome CoVid-19 &has been delivering numbers what they used to deliver before CoVid-19.

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean those all did good by modern Hollywood in Japan standards, but not by what it used to be like with the exception of Mario. 

May be you are comparing USD Total but LC is still same. Only studio that's failing is Disney. Other's are doing fine. 

Mario is a Animation. There's is barrier between Live-action & Animation. No way Live-action can reach Animation numbers unless it's Top Gun Maverick. I would recommend not to compare them at all.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Yojimbo said:

I see! good points! And I have noticed that they added theatres since the release announcements, in Kansai where I am anyway.  And now the posters are up in many of the theatres. 

I dunno if Ryan Gosling is a draw here, but I actually remember him doing promotions here for the local press back when the Notebook came out when he's an unknown! That was almost 20 years ago? Not sure if he is the draw for the Barbie movie, but if anything the colours of the posters and trailers does seem to stand out when you walk into theatre. 

La la land was a great hit back did $38M then I think it should work and how they market and promote the film is what matter to me. Female% will also be stronger given with the colour pink.