grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

11 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

TOriginal songs like Billie Eilish’s “What Was I Made For?” and the rollicking Ryan Gosling-led production number “I’m Just Ken” could compete for Best Song. Both Gosling and title star Margot Robbie deserve consideration in the lead categories for pitch perfect performances that also have a real shot to gain momentum at the Golden Globes and Critics Choice Awards. Gosling in particular is real scene stealer. Baumbach and Gerwig’s script could have a lot of support for Original Screenplay. Whether Barbie gets into Picture and Director races remains to be seen, but if the movie becomes a bit of a phenomenon following its opening than don’t count it out.

https://deadline.com/2023/07/can-barbie-bring-comedy-back-to-oscars-1235433405/

Thank goodness they placed Gosling in the proper category which is lead. of course, WB's gonna fraud him in Supporting but our bro is so obivously one of 2 leads. 

15 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Thank goodness they placed Gosling in the proper category which is lead. of course, WB's gonna fraud him in Supporting but our bro is so obivously one of 2 leads. 

could be a strategy. You start to push someone in the conversation as even deserving for best actor so when you switch him-her to supporting his-her position is stronger.

Edited by vale9001

10 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

could be a strategy. You start to push someone in the conversation as even deserving for best actor so when you switch him-her to supporting his-her position is stronger.

terribly unfair strategy. Unfair to real supporting actors, unfair to the lead who is getting demoted. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Gosling is almost certainly going lead at the Golden Globes considering Comedy/Musical Actor is likely to be a bit of a wasteland (since the majority of the contenders this year are unquestionably dramas).

Yes I think he is winning Comedy/Musical. He'll be singing Just Ken which put him on equal footing with actors from musicals such as Chalamet in Wonka. This category tends to have musical bias.

Honestly, I think a big chunk people doing the double bill purely because of a runaway meme are going to be bored as hell during Oppenheimer. Not saying that in a judgmental way, just based on early word. Really doesn’t sound like a crowdpleaser (shock horror).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Honestly, I think a big chunk people doing the double bill purely because of a runaway meme are going to be bored as hell during Oppenheimer. Not saying that in a judgmental way, just based on early word. Really doesn’t sound like a crowdpleaser (shock horror).

I for one think we need more movied that are not "crowdplesers" if we want films to remain a viable art form and not just a circus.

5 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Yeah, plus they’ll be spending almost 5 hours watching both movies together. Sounds way too much for one day for me tbh. 

5 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Yeah, plus they’ll be spending almost 5 hours watching both movies together. Sounds way too much for one day for me tbh. 

Yea it is too much for the same people who are spending 5 hours straight binge watching crap at home? Gimme a break. It's a perfect double bill. An epic, serious, thriller that gets you gripped washed down with an amazing, uplifting Barbie. Two great films.

Perfect double bill.

• Like 4

Truly, without question, one of the great film marketing campaigns in history. It may be a 'toy adaption' but it is not a sequel or comic book origin film with inherent huge appeal. This felt like a $40m opener when first announced.