grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

Reactions today esp the indiewire one bode really well.

Yeah she ain't exactly the most reliable pinnacle of criticism but Randolph reaction makes me all the more curious.

Hold on to your seatbelts because this looking more and more like cultural zeitgeist movie and oh boy those can explode  box office wise.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Reactions today esp the indiewire one bode really well.

Yeah she ain't exactly the most reliable pinnacle of criticism but Randolph reaction makes me all the more curious.

Hold on to your seatbelts because this looking more and more like cultural zeitgeist movie and oh boy those can explode  box office wise.

The Joker 2.0

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s a controversial statement to say that Randolph’s views on Barbie will be more representative of the movie’s target/core audience than Ehrlich’s views. It’s certainly good for the movie and the industry if they both enjoyed it, regardless of the reasons. Still, if Randolph is gushing genuine praise for it, the stereotypical audience member will enjoy if not love it as well.

5 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I don’t think it’s a controversial statement to say that Randolph’s views on Barbie will be more representative of the movie’s target/core audience than Ehrlich’s views. It’s certainly good for the movie and the industry if they both enjoyed it, regardless of the reasons. Still, if Randolph is gushing genuine praise for it, the stereotypical audience member will enjoy if not love it as well.

it's unexpected cause she hates Margot Robbie she was kinda critical of the promotional material and also she somehow heard about the movie finale and she said she tought they would have failed it, while now she's saying it was very well executed. 

Edited by vale9001

I have to admit that Randolph very positive reaction to Barbie caught my guard, especially since she had been saying that she thought that the films so called progressive politics would scare away more conservative audiences

To be honest she seemed to be hyping up the narrative of a conservative backlash against the film, but now that she has actually seen the movie it apparently turned out to be a far better film than even she expected. I guess the so called progressive politics In this movie must have not been that much of a big deal if even Randolph of all people is now calling it one of the greatest films she has ever seen

Edited by roxas11

22 minutes ago, roxas11 said:

I have to admit that Randolph very positive reaction to Barbie caught my guard, especially since she had been saying that she thought that the films so called progressive politics would scare away more conservative audiences

Grace gave a negative review to Mario, and after that became so popular with fans and at the boxoffice, she probably wanted to get behind the next huge movie and not seem out of touch with fans. Barbie is posed to be huge and Grace knows it.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Kristian harloff - negative it seems he didn't vibe with tone and said it's not for him 

.It seems the movie has strong  tonal shifts.

But that doesn't surprise me based on some trailer reactions ,this movie is not gonna be for everyone.

No movie is for everyone. Even 4 quad movies don't reach everyone. Some like Titanic manage to speak to underserved audience that doesn't care for what's usually considered 4Q. SoF is an example of a movie that appeals to audience that's tired of plot armor goofy costume zero stakes fantasy, for example, but the lack of all that is not interesting to fans of those movies. So I'm not worried if Barbie is divisive cause passion drives boxoffice too. 

• Disbelief 1