grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

Looking forward to ticket sales starting stateside. Should be interesting. Having little to no PLF presence its entire run will deflate early numbers but should boost legs. Not as high as others on this but I do think if it's a good crowd pleaser a la LEGO Movie, Splash, Truman Show (all movies that spring to mind when seeing the marketing), 300M+ DOM will happen.

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Looking forward to ticket sales starting stateside. Should be interesting. Having little to no PLF presence its entire run will deflate early numbers but should boost legs. Not as high as others on this but I do think if it's a good crowd pleaser a la LEGO Movie, Splash, Truman Show (all movies that spring to mind when seeing the marketing), 300M+ DOM will happen.

$300m domestic would be a tall order for any film, never mind one without any notable PLF inflating the numbers. But you could be right! 

I still think a $40m opening and $115-150m run is much more likely. Maybe I’m just managing my own expectations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

If it gets to $300M, that would be one of the biggest overperformances ever imo. I think any nine-digit number would be very good and qualify it as a hit and if it flirts with $200M it's already gonna be a real big overperformer in my eyes.

• Like 1

The multiplex theaters that have posted showtimes so far near me are mostly booking this for 3-4 screens that weekend with theaters that have more than one PLF screen giving it one of those. The tracking is clearly strong. For now I'm thinking this does $40M OW with possible room to grow, and where it goes from there will all depend on reviews/WOM/whether it lives up to the hype or not.

I think a similar situation to Big Hero 6 and Interstellar where the OW for both are very close. Oppenheimer I think will be $45-50m and Barbie not too far behind. 

WB has history with leggy films, Elvis last year was one and the two punch combo of The Meg and Crazy Rich Asians in 2018 to name but three. 

the marketing continues

(apparently is Los Angeles)

Fy_3Pe6WYAEAo43?format=jpg&name=small

a special barbie episode of this popular cooking show was aired yesterday on food network 

Also Walmart for all July is launching a new set of special shopping bags

Fy3gSSuWAAEc4pq?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by vale9001

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Barbie is a perfect position to offer something new among sequels and remakes. That counts at the boxoffice more than PLF. 

That doesn’t always work in their favour unfortunately. The last few years have told us that it’s often only the sequels and remakes that survive. 

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That doesn’t always work in their favour unfortunately. The last few years have told us that it’s often only the sequels and remakes that survive. 

true though Barbie is a famous brand so it falls into franchise category. Just not the usual garden variety of superheroes and cars.

This movie is an event not only because Barbie is an IP. From the name of the director and the other screenplayer, from Margot robbie and Ryan Gosling involved (two A-list actor very requested by great directors), to oscar multi nominated or winners in almost every technical category from minute 1 this was able to interest a lot of targets of people.

So no it's not just barbie. The IP will help to sell the movie FOR SURE to casual viewers but even if called Priscilla with all these names involved, this aestetic, this mistery about "what it is" it would have been a very talked movie, with commercial appeal (less frontloaded) but with commercial appeal. 

A barbie movie with Bill Condon as director, the screenplayer of an average sandra bullock comedy and Channing Tatum as Ken and we would have seen the 20% of the hype was generated cause everyone would be like "ok this is just super mario for the girls".

Edited by vale9001

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Barbie is IP though.

Barbie is IP but it is fresh IP on big screen. It is brand that people have high awareness but do not have high dosage yet, so that will create some novelty factor that almost come as strong as like original IP.

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

This movie is an event not only because Barbie is an IP. From the name of the director and the other screenplayer, from Margot robbie and Ryan Gosling involved (two A-list actor very requested by great directors), to oscar multi nominated or winners in almost every technical category from minute 1 this was able to interest a lot of targets of people.

So no it's not just barbie. The IP will help to sell the movie FOR SURE to casual viewers but even if called Priscilla with all these names involved, this aestetic, this mistery about "what it is" it would have been a very talked movie, with commercial appeal (less frontloaded) but with commercial appeal. 

Couldn't disagree more and no idea how you would come to this conclusion.

Gerwig has only had one movie over 100 million and it was a book adaptation (again, a known title).

Gosling and Robbie, meanwhile, are absolute box office poison in lead roles if they're the ones meant to carry the film, as opposed to the IP. All of the elements are a strong combination, but it's the fact that it's a Barbie adaptation that's tying everything together and generating interest. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Couldn't disagree more and no idea how you would come to this conclusion.

Gerwig has only had one movie over 100 million and it was a book adaptation (again, a known title).

Gosling and Robbie, meanwhile, are absolute box office poison in lead roles if they're the ones meant to carry the film, as opposed to the IP. All of the elements are a strong combination, but it's the fact that it's a Barbie adaptation that's tying everything together and generating interest. 

i come to this conclusion cause this movie got viral cause greta gerwig is involved and this made people curious about what the movie can be.

I don't care if Ryan Gosling, the lead actor of La La Land (original movie with 500M dollars at the box office) is box office poison (?), what I said it's Ryan Gosling being ken since he's one of the cultest actor of the last decade, what's interesting. Who cares about drive box office? Who cares about blade runner 2049 box office? cult movie "everyone has seen" and you can see about almost his movie from last decade, since they are some of the most voted imdb movie ever. 

So yeah ryan gosling as ken made the movie viral, is part of a such multitargeted buzz for this movie. Something it wouldn't happen with Ryan Reynolds as Ken since he only makes bad commercial movies.