grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

women are just as cruel and abusive as men online , especially fandom shippers

But in a different way. Women would accuse a man's wife and children of being paid actors because they really want to believe he's in a relationship with his male co-star, while men will release 9 hour videos analyzing every little detail in a movie they didn't like years after release.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

But in a different way. Women would accuse a man's wife and children of being paid actors because they really want to believe he's in a relationship with his male co-star, while men will release 9 hour videos analyzing every little detail in a movie they didn't like years after release.

The difference is "women' doing that are under 18, men doing that around 50. 

2 hours ago, rebelscum86 said:

Has it been discussed at all that a lot parents think this is a kids movie? Is the studio being irresponsible with their advertising (I honestly don't know, haven't seen the trailers or TV spots) but they clearly haven't done enough to let parents know it's not a kids movie.

How would you know then, if you haven’t even seen the trailers and tv spots? 

5 hours ago, vale9001 said:

The difference is "women' doing that are under 18, men doing that around 50. 

If only, but that has not been my experience at all. The middle-aged fake baby truthers going on about moonbumps and photoshopped children, the period costume purists still bitterly fuming about the Beauty and the Beast/Little Women remakes, the racists unhappy about the Bridgerton adaptation: they very much exist, they just don't show up in the same fanboy spaces where people rant about The Last Jedi or the ruination of the DCEU or whatever.

There's a longtime female awards pundit who spent the Lady Bird and Little Women awards seasons HATING Gerwig and trashing her movies (and dismissing that anyone genuinely liked them). If you don't care for someone's work, fine, but here and there she'd make these comments about the Gerwig/Baumbach relationship and Jennifer Jason Leigh. So, it was really an entertainment journalist holding a grudge about how two people she didn't know allegedly got together, and letting that opinion affect how she did her job. It's definitely not just older men who can go on bitter screeds and dip into conspiracy theories about the entertainment world.

Anyway, I think the Barbie trailers/ads make it clear that this film is dealing with slightly more mature areas compared to all those direct-to-video movies Mattel churned out. This Barbie might stay the night with Ken, he makes "beat off" jokes, she thinks about death, she goes to the real world and someone smacks her butt. Yet some people just can't get past the brand, see all the bright colors and think any Barbie movie = fun for all ages. They have an idea of what a Barbie movie is supposed to be like, so don't really see/hear what this movie is signaling itself to be.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

They've been attaching the trailers for this before plenty of kids films. Super Mario Bros, The Little Mermaid, Elemental. They're clearly banking on families showing up just as much as they are with every other demo, which is why this is tracking as huge as it is.

Meanwhile, it must stink looking at the box office success that awaits this movie and knowing you were almost a part of it lol. Doesn't say who he was gonna play but assume it was the Scott Evans role.

It was interesting because I had auditioned for a small part in Barbie and got it. And then I got an email from Nick that was like, “I think you’d be really great in this part.” I was like, “Great. I have this offer for Barbie, so you gotta let me know.” We tried to make it work, and I was like, “You know what? I really, really wanted to work on this show.” Careers are funny things — you never really know. When I read about the character on the page, I was like, “This is somebody I understand.”

For Barbie, it was just that the timing couldn’t work out for both?

It was one of those brutal things. Yeah, the timing couldn’t work out for both. I’m not trying to sound boastful. It was a small, little part, but I’ve never been part of some beautiful, big, cool thing like that. It would have been cool to be able to do both.

Luke Macfarlane Talks Platonic, Bros, Turning Down Barbie – The Hollywood Reporter

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They've been attaching the trailers for this before plenty of kids films. Super Mario Bros, The Little Mermaid, Elemental. They're clearly banking on families showing up just as much as they are with every other demo, which is why this is tracking as huge as it is.

Greta said i made a movie for everyone from 8 to 108. I don't know why some people here act like they saw in the trailer Barbie doing some satanic ritual and not just a colorfoul (and also meaningful) fun movie ala pixar-dreamworks 😅

Edited by vale9001

I'm pretty sure the "Beach off" joke at the end of the first full trailer is why everyone seems to be "freaking out," and I sort of get it. If those sorts of jokes are sprinkled throughout the film and parents aren't prepared, that really won't go down well with general audiences. Remember how divided America is.

• ...wtf 1

8 hours ago, rebelscum86 said:

Have you seen it? Is it TLJ of Barbie and women who actually loved their Barbies are going to hate it? B/c the 1st review kind of sounds like that's what it's hinting at. Their are millions of women who don't resent Barbie and hope the filmmakers know that.

Yes.

No.

And it's "they're" not "their"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Yes it is. It's not any more or less a kids movie than The Lego Movie or any superhero movie

Tony Stark can make horny jokes about spider man aunt but Ken can't Say to barbie "can i come to your house?" cause It's explicit 🤣

It's a pg 13 live action movie, families know what they can expect. It's not a Disney animated movie lol 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

That's fair, WB was considering a PG cut at certain points. I doubt anything too shocking happens here, but they did go with the higher rating in the end. Lots of 9-12 year olds still watch "family movies" too. But the US doesn't have a PG-8 or PG-10 rating, so with some PG-13 movies, most parents would be fine with a tween watching, but it's too much for a first grader. I think the Barbie movie will fall in that zone, and some less diligent parents out there will bring little kids to this, then be all outraged that they weren't warned!  Even though the ads/trailers make it clear that this is not just a live action Barbie: Dreamhouse Adventures; it's slightly edgier. 

I feel the main audience is adults who had Barbie dolls once, but if it appeals to younger people, too, the studio is fine with that.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

Greta: this movie is a surprising spicy margarita 

Margot: this movie is surprisingly deep

People in this thread: there is zero to be surprised about, we know what’s coming from the trailers…

In seriousness, the movie probably isn’t for kids, not because it’s inappropriate, but because it might be thematically too mature for young children. ‘Occasionally overwhelmed by ideas’ per Time.

51 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

By the panic you read in this thread you'd think families will burn down the theater at the sight of a meta joke

now some are complaining one of the barbies has the voice of a man.

Like that shrek character 20 years ago? 😅

I don't think they're gonna tell to children to change sex.....it's a comedy, why they can just make a laugh?. Then they call the others snowflakes

FWdhdR-WAAE7zE4.jpg

Edited by vale9001