CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

Trust me, I have experiences with taken girls that I never want to have repeated. And the thing is, I know this girl is interested in relationships; I just don't know if she's interested in a relationship with me :PI'm over it now, I'm actually more angry right now at how badly that show butchered the story of hamlet and not only got away with it but praised for it. Maybe I didn't see what the judges saw, but being a Shakespeare enthusiast bad versions of it make me mad.Aw man, fuck Hamlet. Reading it now in school and it's easily the worst Shakespeare I've read yet

I'm just describing situations I have been in, I have been able to end up dating girls that were in a relationship when I started trying to talk to them. It truly is a situational thing though for what sucks more for a particular person. I think what sucks for me is something clicked in me about her after talking to her for a while that hasn't happened with anybody else, she just doesn't any form of relationship with anyone. If she were any other girl it probsbly wouldn't bother me as much. But yeah, unless the girl you met is dating the guy, just straight up go for it, worst thing that happens is she says no, the world won't collapse or anything.On HamletPersonally, Hamlet isn't my favorite of his plays but I still love it, I just didn't like the style they went for. They turned it into a present day business cooperation type setting, yet they tried to still add that 17th century feel to it and it just didn't mix in my opinion. If you are going to go for a more capitalist thriller type of show (which is what I got from their direction) you can't have everybody wielding swords and it make sense. My biggest problem with it though was the actors were very repetitive in their phrasing, they didn't sell me the story, their pronunciation and projection was very clean but they broke up to many of the phrases and it never seemed as though they fully understood how they were incorporating the story of hamlet into the setting that they chose.Whatever though, I shouldn't rant to long about it.
  • Like 1

Thor and esp. CA did great for their status in the comic book universe. MOS and TASM2 , however, given the popularity of the characters are failures. Anyway each marvel studios franchise is growing (at a rapid pace) so no problems there .The other studios however need to rethink their strategy .

Anyway all these movies, gives home video and merchandise sales , are safe bets .(you won't see a spider man movie flop like the lone ranger or Noah for example )

MOS came off a ill received film that made under 400 million worldwide ... calling 670 million a failure seems a bit much ... especially when domestically it still easily defeats the non Iron Man/Batman films.

Edited by Adam
  • Like 2

MOS came off a ill received film that made under 400 million worldwide ... calling 670 million a failure seems a bit much ... especially when domestically it still easily defeats the non Iron Man/Batman films.

Warner decided against a direct sequel. That, alone, speaks volumes . They got a famous director, had a huge marketing budget (well at least from what i saw in my little country) , had the 3d factor (=more$$) and the final BO result was mediocre at best . This is Superman we are talking about, the most well known superhero . I wish warner saw this as a success cause i liked it an wanted a sequel with a FREAKIN SUPERMAN VILLAIN WE HAVEN'T SEEN ON THE SCREEN BEFORE (like darkseid) . Instaed we will get a weird thing that not even warner seem to know what exactly it is at the momment .Oh and who cares about domestically ,it's WW that matters .

• Like 1

I predicted below  200 too two week ago, but with that OW it can reach 220-230M and this not good for SM movie, spider-man is a bigger character than any other marvel heroes, he deserve more.

Not if he's a greedy, lazy, unoriginal copycat whose movie sucks.

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 1

Thor and esp. CA did great for their status in the comic book universe. MOS and TASM2 , however, given the popularity of the characters are failures. Anyway each marvel studios franchise is growing (at a rapid pace) so no problems there .The other studios however need to rethink their strategy .

Anyway all these movies, gives home video and merchandise sales , are safe bets .(you won't see a spider man movie flop like the lone ranger or Noah for example )

Ugh, this is why I dislike fanboys (not just Marvel, but those that generally have blinders on). Don't compare MoS with Phase 2 movies (though it still comes out pretty damn good there as well), but against Phase 1 movies. And TASM2 is definitely a big stumble, but its WW numbers will definitely save it. 

And I genuinely can't fucking wait for Marvel to start experiencing franchise fatigue - because it WILL happen sooner or later, and I will be eagerly anticipating the excuses coming from those who now dismiss Spidey or Superman as failures.

• Like 10

Ugh, this is why I dislike fanboys (not just Marvel, but those that generally have blinders on). Don't compare MoS with Phase 2 movies (though it still comes out pretty damn good there as well), but against Phase 1 movies. And TASM2 is definitely a big stumble, but its WW numbers will definitely save it. 

And I genuinely can't fucking wait for Marvel to start experiencing franchise fatigue - because it WILL happen sooner or later, and I will be eagerly anticipating the excuses coming from those who now dismiss Spidey or Superman as failures.

Rumor control. Here are the facts.

MoS: Quality failure, box office success

ASM 2: Box office disappointment (so far)

People have been waiting for the superhero genre to die for 13 years since the first Spider-man came out. They are still waiting, especially after the Avengers. :P

CA2 weekend beakdown:

Previews: 10.2M

Friday: 26.7M

Saturday: 34.7M

Sunday: 23.4M

TASM2 weekend breakdown:

Previews: 8.7M

Friday: 26.8M

Saturday: 34-35M

Sunday: ?

So excluding previews, TASM2 is doing almost exactly the same business as CA. So Sunday shouldn't be much different either.

However, given the lackluster reception, it will soon start falling behind. 200M is locked, but I don't see it going above 230M either.

• Like 5

CA2 weekend beakdown:

Previews: 10.2M

Friday: 26.7M

Saturday: 34.7M

Sunday: 23.4M

TASM2 weekend breakdown:

Previews: 8.7M

Friday: 26.8M

Saturday: 34-35M

Sunday: ?

So excluding previews, TASM2 is doing almost exactly the same business as CA. So Sunday shouldn't be much different either.

However, given the lackluster reception, it will soon start falling behind. 200M is locked, but I don't see it going above 230M either.

I also think TASM2 will be more vulnerable against counter program movies like comedies and Neighbors can hurt it prematuraly more badly than we expect.

I hope it will do gangbuster business for the next two weeks at least, otherwise, it will start losing larger numbers of theaters counts too soon, especially since it started with 400+ more theaters than CA2, which is in itself one of the largest number to start with. 

Edited by Ent

People have been waiting for the superhero genre to die for 13 years since the first Spider-man came out. They are still waiting, especially after the Avengers. :P

It's not a matter of the genre dying - though that will happen eventually (it's all cyclical). It's silly to expect it to die out within two decades, when it's really only reached its current height less than a decade ago. I'm speaking of certain characters getting worn out. What happens with the 6th (or 7th or whatever) Iron Man movie, when RDJ steps down? Are you confident that it won't experience a TASM-like drop? 

Rumor control. Here are the facts.

MoS: Quality failure, box office success

ASM 2: Box office disappointment (so far)

Well, I'll put MoS down on the side of disappointing quality-wise, but not an outright failure. ;)