CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

Seeing as everyone kept yo-yo-ing with Cap, going from low 80s to $120+ then back to $90M, i'm still sticking with my $105M number. Probably wont happen, but I'm not writing it off yet.

• Like 2

I hate it when they use stuff like spring break too justify why Captain America opened higher at midnight. If people want to see this movie they will run out and see it. 10 years ago Revenge of the Sith did way more at midnight and that had school in play as well. This spring break thing is an excuse it makes no sense

It would explain why Cap 2 was pretty frontloaded on Friday
  • Like 1

It has no effect on die hard fans, but some statistics are all about the margins. If you have the day off school next day and you're mildly excited enough about the movie, you'll still potentially go see it at midnight. But if you're on the fence about midnights and you have to wake up at 7 the next day, you'll ultimately decide to skip it until Friday. That's the difference. That one million or so worth of people that are on the fence. The margin. 

Were there midnights?  Or was it just early showings on Thursday?  My city doesn't have midnights anymore and I don't think Toronto does either.

Rth was so right when he said 8-9 in the TASM2 thread. Why do people still doubt him? And who the hell is 'notfabio'?

He's legit.  He runs or owns a chain of theaters somewhere in the US.  So his assertion that his numbers were 15% higher than Caps, was true.

Were there midnights?  Or was it just early showings on Thursday?  My city doesn't have midnights anymore and I don't think Toronto does either.

Not midnights, but 7,8, 9 and 10s. 8 is early enough, granted, but nine and ten is still late if you have to get up early the next morning. You won't get home till 1.

Anyway, as has been said hundreds, maybe thousands of times on here, previews and midnights can only be used to gauge a film's general anticipation level, not its specific anticipation level.

All that can be said is 8.7m is in line with past 1st week of May SH blockbusters.

Patience. I think 100m is still well within reasonable expectations.   ;)

• Like 6

I hate it when they use stuff like spring break too justify why Captain America opened higher at midnight. If people want to see this movie they will run out and see it. 10 years ago Revenge of the Sith did way more at midnight and that had school in play as well. This spring break thing is an excuse it makes no sense

The ROTS midnight number will always be legendary. Same with the 50m Thursday.

• Like 3

Not midnights, but 7,8, 9 and 10s. 8 is early enough, granted, but nine and ten is still late if you have to get up early the next morning. You won't get home till 1.

And it also started earlier than Cap did.  Cap had 8pms and ASM had 7's.

• Like 1